User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Living up here in salty Pa. would there be an issue with mounting one of these units in an aluminum tool chest in the bed of my truck?

Brian
    Hi Brian,

See post 5 for how my VIair is mounted in the right rear corner of the box. This location is covered by either the tonneau cover or the overhang of the 5th wheel. No weather or corrosion problems encountered so far. I fabricated the mounting bracket . . . then, I learned that VIair makes a bracket very much like this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Any chance that the compressor mounted switch is in the off position ? This could be seen by the controller as “compressor open”.
    The compressor mounted switch? You mean on the VIAIR? No, it's on--pump runs fine. It responds to commands to add or remove air. The only thing I see is I "cheated" with the ground from the manifold. I went to the frame ground under the hood instead of to the battery. Maybe I'll move that ground and see what happens (it's only a few inches). If nothing changes I'm not going to worry about it. Everything works. I'll just have to see that triangle all the time.

I would suggest contacting Airlift directly.
    I did. Tech Support said it was a ground issue. (Caution, sarcasm ahead: Gee, thanks! That was enlightening.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WirelessOne (Gen2) to VIAIR 450P-RV Follow-Up

I've driven the truck with the new setup for about two weeks now, so today I crawled underneath to inspect the installation. I made one change to the air hose routing (it could potentially chaff against a brake line) and moved the relay to a vertical mounting position. (My OCD kicked in--I didn't like that it was mounted upside down and could collect water the way I had it taped up. The new location protects the relay, too, behind a part of the truck's frame.)

ORIGINAL INSTALLATION
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0091 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	17967

NEW

Name:	DSCN0222 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	17966

While I was at it I wired in the original compressor to test if the error code 14 was an issue. With the OEM compressor there was no error code on the remote. Put it back to the relay wiring (to power the VIAIR) and the error code returned. Obviously the manifold is looking for something (current draw? resistance, or better put, no to little resistance?) that the relay is not satisfying. It is a nuisance fault because everything runs perfect. In fact, the Airlift technician I exchanged emails with stated the only time they've seen this error is when the pump doesn't run at all.

BL: If you install a WirelessOne (Gen2) setup and power a VIAIR (or any other compressor other than the OEM) with a relay, expect a error code 14 on your controller.

Super pleased with the setup. Very glad I did it. Many thanks (again) to the many forum members that provided the inspiration, ideas, and feedback.

-Howard

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard @howson

An update on this discussion . . . I have discovered a problem with my "system" described earlier. It seems that my version of the Wireless One controller times out after about 45 seconds of compressor run time. (probably to shut down the compressor in the case of a broken line or cut airbag). I have only used this in the past to top up tires which happens in less time than this. I had occasion to fill a completely flat tire (not mine) and the compressor cut out before the tire reached pressure. Hmmm . . . fuse is OK . . . no other problems. I was able to reset the system, but the same thing happened again. Now working on a "relay bypass" . . . to keep the compressor running .

Just FYI . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard @howson

An update on this discussion . . . I have discovered a problem with my "system" described earlier. It seems that my version of the Wireless One controller times out after about 45 seconds of compressor run time. (probably to shut down the compressor in the case of a broken line or cut airbag). I have only used this in the past to top up tires which happens in less time than this. I had occasion to fill a completely flat tire (not mine) and the compressor cut out before the tire reached pressure. Hmmm . . . fuse is OK . . . no other problems. I was able to reset the system, but the same thing happened again. Now working on a "relay bypass" . . . to keep the compressor running .

Just FYI . .

Rob
    Interesting. I'll experiment with mine to see if it does the same thing and report back.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relay Failed!

Just when I really needed it (the Goldwing in the bed and ready to depart from the campground) my setup failed. After troubleshooting discovered the Advance Auto 30A automotive relay had failed. (Was getting signal to close from the WirelessOne manifold but the relay didn't pass power across the contacts.)

Replaced the relay with a Fastronix waterproof 30A. This is a much more robust component--works again and I expect it will stay good.

Name:	Relay.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	20238

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VIAIR 450P-RV Follow-Up (Final)

The VIAIR 450P-RV that was mounted failed and felt I owed this forum an update on what I found.

Name:	450RV.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	26442

The pressure switch on the 450P is at the bottom of a tube under the pressure line. What happened is moisture (since I operate the unit in humid Florida) built up, along with a gross dark mass of foreign material, on the switch until it failed. That led to the compressor not shutting off until the fuse blew, or it would attempt to restart when there was still too much pressure in the line again blowing the fuse.

If you look back at the pictures on this thread, Cate&Rob has a different type of VIAIR compressor that does not have the pressure switch in the same location thus, to my knowledge, he has not experienced this same failure.

For infrequent use, stored in a dry location, the 450P-RV was a fantastic pump. VIAIR's new 450P-RVS appears to have the same build configuration. For mounting in a truck bed like I did--not the best choice IMO.

In case you're curious, I installed the original compressor that came with the Airlift bags. I no longer want an all-in-one solution for the bags and filling truck/RV tires.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to look at my setup, I believe I only have a pressure switch at the tank and it's mounted in an uphill orientation on top. (see post #36)I bought the Constant duty OBA system #10007 that came with the tank. The specs say it uses the 450C compressor with/thermal overload protector so I am guessing no pressure switch on the compressor. I could be wrong though, there might be a pressure switch on all the compressors in case people use them without a tank. I just looked up the 450P-RV and it states "auto shutoff". Is that the function of the pressure switch? If so I am inclined to think I don't have a pressure switch at the compressor and if I did it would be redundant as my compressor is wired through the pressure switch on the tank.

I live in a dry climate but I can tell you when I open the drain on the tank I get some pretty nasty looking black crap blowing out of it. Hopefully that will clear up a bit as everything breaks in, the system hasn't seen much use since I installed it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just discovered this thread this morning and it was an interesting read. I've been struggling with trying to find a way to set up airlift bags with a compressor that will operate those and also provide an on demand air chuck for airing tires. I have been unable to find anything in the way of diagrams that show a configuration like this. It's either airlift or a diagram from Viair showing how to install a compressor/tank to operate an air horn. No interest there.
    So far, it looks like just an Airlift bag install with a separate compressor for airing. The onboard tire airing setup would really be beneficial for two vehicles, a boat trailer and a RV. If anyone has successfully installed a system like this, I would love to see a diagram of how you did it.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I just discovered this thread this morning and it was an interesting read. I've been struggling with trying to find a way to set up airlift bags with a compressor that will operate those and also provide an on demand air chuck for airing tires. I have been unable to find anything in the way of diagrams that show a configuration like this. It's either airlift or a diagram from Viair showing how to install a compressor/tank to operate an air horn. No interest there.
    So far, it looks like just an Airlift bag install with a separate compressor for airing. The onboard tire airing setup would really be beneficial for two vehicles, a boat trailer and a RV. If anyone has successfully installed a system like this, I would love to see a diagram of how you did it.
    Bob, not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but I just recently did a compressor, air chuck, airbag setup on my TV. I was struggling with the same, how to control airbags from the cabin while having access to an air chuck. The key for me was the Air Lift 26161 200 PSI Single Needle Gauge Panel, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Gauge uses a 1/4" OD air line input from air tank to inflate or deflate (via small orifice in back of gauge) the airbags. Gauge then shows airbag pressure not the supply pressure. Does require you to run 1/4 supply air line to wherever you want to mount the gauge (cabin) and a then a line from the gauge to the air bags. A quick diagram below. Lots of possible variations on this but hope it helps.

Name:	Airbag Setup.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	36944

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast