User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onboard Air Compressor

I recently installed the Viair onboard air system on the TV. The convenience of having an onboard air system is well worth the effort. The TV wheel calls for 65 psi and the TT is 80 psi. Most gas stations do not run their compressors that high so having this capability on demand is nice. It is installed discretely under the body of the TV so that it is not visible to the casual observer. The power switch is connected to the stock up fitter switches that came with the truck. The whole install feels very OEM as if it came optioned with the truck.

When I first installed the air system, there was a lot of condensation showing on the inline pressure gauge located between the air tank and chuck. It seems Viair compressors have a history of producing condensation as most compressors do. So I got an inline particulate air filter with automatic drain valve to clean the air and remove moisture. It works like a charm. After installing the air filter, there is no more condensate showing on the pressure gauge.

The power wiring harness was run through a loom up through the front wheel well and across the engine hood to the up fitter tie in. The intake air filter runs up the same and sits in the engine bay next to the fire wall. It should be well protected from water during a rain storm. The airline runs the length of the frame to the rear on the passenger side and across the back tailgate to the driver side hitch frame in a loom, and the pressure gauge is located inline on the tailgate hitch frame.

The most difficult part of the install was attaching the compressor and air tank to the frame with brackets. After much consternation, I decided to get the brackets welded to the frame for both the compressor and air tank. In hindsight, it was a mistake. The metal alloy elements of the frame are generally not known publicly. It appears the combination of heat and weld may result in torsional rigidity mismatch. The frame is designed to accommodate some flex and the difference in torsional rigidity between the weld and the frame may cause a stress fracture. A better way would have been to use a tap and bolt on the frame. Although the weld is holding up for now, I will forever be looking for a potential stress fracture in the future.

Finally, I drilled a small hole and used self-tapping screws to mount the air filter bracket on the frame. The TV frame was not as hard as the TT frame. It was a little softer and the self-tapping screws worked like a charm.

VIAIR Ultra Duty OBA P/N 20001 – 200 PSI / 1.86 CFM
    PNEUMATICPLUS PPF SERIES PARTICULATE AIR FILTER 1/4" NPT (HIGH FLOW)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a3a7.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a38f.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a39d.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a39e.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a391.jpg  

Last edited by Maddog55; 10-20-2018 at 05:53 AM.
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two more pics from original post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a394.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a398.jpg  

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog55 View Post
    I recently installed the Viair onboard air system on the TV. The convenience of having an onboard air system is well worth the effort. The TV wheel calls for 65 psi and the TT is 80 psi. Most gas stations do not run their compressors that high so having this capability on demand is nice. It is installed discretely under the body of the TV so that it is not visible to the casual observer. The power switch is connected to the stock up fitter switches that came with the truck. The whole install feels very OEM as if it came optioned with the truck.

When I first installed the air system, there was a lot of condensation showing on the inline pressure gauge located between the air tank and chuck. It seems Viair compressors have a history of producing condensation as most compressors do. So I got an inline particulate air filter with automatic drain valve to clean the air and remove moisture. It works like a charm. After installing the air filter, there is no more condensate showing on the pressure gauge.

The power wiring harness was run through a loom up through the front wheel well and across the engine hood to the up fitter tie in. The intake air filter runs up the same and sits in the engine bay next to the fire wall. It should be well protected from water during a rain storm. The airline runs the length of the frame to the rear on the passenger side and across the back tailgate to the driver side hitch frame in a loom, and the pressure gauge is located inline on the tailgate hitch frame.

The most difficult part of the install was attaching the compressor and air tank to the frame with brackets. After much consternation, I decided to get the brackets welded to the frame for both the compressor and air tank. In hindsight, it was a mistake. The metal alloy elements of the frame are generally not known publicly. It appears the combination of heat and weld may result in torsional rigidity mismatch. The frame is designed to accommodate some flex and the difference in torsional rigidity between the weld and the frame may cause a stress fracture. A better way would have been to use a tap and bolt on the frame. Although the weld is holding up for now, I will forever be looking for a potential stress fracture in the future.

Finally, I drilled a small hole and used self-tapping screws to mount the air filter bracket on the frame. The TV frame was not as hard as the TT frame. It was a little softer and the self-tapping screws worked like a charm.

VIAR Ultra Duty OBA P/N 20001 – 200 PSI / 1.86 CFM
    PNEUMATICPLUS PPF SERIES PARTICULATE AIR FILTER 1/4" NPT (HIGH FLOW)
    Kevin, you neglected to mention the most important aspect of this project--now you can power an air horn!

Thanks for the post. I might copy what you did at some point so there is one less loose item (VIAIR pump) to stow.

Also--note the spelling of the company is VIAIR not VIAR. Suggest you fix the spelling in your original post so the search engine can find it.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Kevin, you neglected to mention the most important aspect of this project--now you can power an air horn!

Thanks for the post. I might copy what you did at some point so there is one less loose item (VIAIR pump) to stow.

Also--note the spelling of the company is VIAIR not VIAR. Suggest you fix the spelling in your original post so the search engine can find it.
    I’ve thought about that. Kind of on the fence about it. I don’t use the horn much but there have been a few times when it would have been handy.

Thanks for the spell check. Correction made.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my VIAIR compressor permanently mounted in the box of the truck where is it reasonably well protected from the elements.

I have Airlift airbags and their on-board Wireless One inflation system. Recently, I replaced the original Airlift compressor (which was adequate for the air bags with a 15% duty cycle) with a VIAIR continuous duty compressor. This maintains the airbag pressure (in about 1/4 the run time ) but also allows me to use this onboard system with a hose from the Schrader "emergency airbag fill" valve, to fill tires. I use the Wireless One remote to set the airbag pressure, which becomes the tire fill pressure. The airbags have a 100 psi capacity and become the "air tank" when filling tires. The highest that I need to go is 80 psi.

I picked up power from the feed to the trailer wiring connector where there is 40A 12V power on only when the truck is running. I fused this down to the compressor requirement in the line to the compressor.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2630.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I have my VIAIR compressor permanently mounted in the box of the truck where is it reasonably well protected from the elements.

I have Airlift airbags and their on-board Wireless One inflation system. Recently, I replaced the original Airlift compressor (which was adequate for the air bags with a 15% duty cycle) with a VIAIR continuous duty compressor. This maintains the airbag pressure (in about 1/4 the run time ) but also allows me to use this onboard system with a hose from the Schrader "emergency airbag fill" valve, to fill tires. I use the Wireless One remote to set the airbag pressure, which becomes the tire fill pressure. The airbags have a 100 psi capacity and become the "air tank" when filling tires. The highest that I need to go is 80 psi.

I picked up power from the feed to the trailer wiring connector where there is 40A 12V power on only when the truck is running. I fused this down to the compressor requirement in the line to the compressor.

Rob
    I don't completely understand your setup, Rob. I've watched several YouTube videos but still can't quite make sense of it all.

1) When you are using your VIAIR to fill your tires, how is the pressure kept from going to the airbags? Or do you inflate the tire pressure first without worrying that the bags are inflated to the tire pressure (initially) and then adjust the air bags as needed once you disconnect from the emergency fill valves? I don't understand. (For those who haven't done any homework yet, check out the attachment. It is the Wireless dual path schematic.)

2) Do you have a single path or dual path system? (And why did you choose it.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	15770

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't completely understand your setup, Rob. I've watched several YouTube videos but still can't quite make sense of it all.

1) When you are using your VIAIR to fill your tires, how is the pressure kept from going to the airbags? Or do you inflate the tire pressure first without worrying that the bags are inflated to the tire pressure (initially) and then adjust the air bags as needed once you disconnect from the emergency fill valves? I don't understand. (For those who haven't done any homework yet, check out the attachment. It is the Wireless dual path schematic.)

2) Do you have a single path or dual path system? (And why did you choose it.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	15770
    Hi Howard,

I have the WirelessOne single path system since I don't have any reason to carry a significantly heavier load towards one side of the box than the other.

To inflate a tire, I just let the airbags go up to the tire pressure (80 psi) and then after the tire(s) are filled, I reset the bags to either empty (5 psi) or towing (30 psi) pressure. Changing air pressure is as easy as pushing buttons on the wireless remote and I have my empty and towing pressures as pre-sets, so just one button push to select either of these.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Howard,

I have the WirelessOne single path system since I don't have any reason to carry a significantly heavier load towards one side of the box than the other.

To inflate a tire, I just let the airbags go up to the tire pressure (80 psi) and then after the tire(s) are filled, I reset the bags to either empty (5 psi) or towing (30 psi) pressure. Changing air pressure is as easy as pushing buttons on the wireless remote and I have my empty and towing pressures as pre-sets, so just one button push to select either of these.

Rob
    Mornin' Rob,
    I am circling back around to this project to eliminate having to setup my VIAIR 450P-RV compressor each time I need to use it (with both my Airlift bags and the truck's tires).

I've done quite a bit of reading and I've watched Airlift's videos. Based on what I think I know and how you have your system setup, is the following accurate?

With the WirelessOne remote's ability to regulate air to a specific set value, it looks like adding air to the tires is super-easy. If I understand correctly, I can attach a line from the emergency fill connection to a tire. (Let's use a front tire that takes 70 psi.) By setting the remote to 70 PSI, the pump will stop when the bags AND the tire reach 70 psi.

Moving on to a back tire, I'd change the value on the remote to 65 psi (with no line connected to a tire yet) and the air bags deflate from 70 to 65 psi. Now I can connect the air line to the rear tire (and emergency fill valve) and the tire fills with the pump stopping at 65 psi. I *assume* if the tire is over-inflated the WirelessOne will purge air (since the bags will have inflated over the current remote's setting) until the pressure reaches 65 psi.

Is that accurate?

Finally, how/where did you mount the emergency fill valve?
    Last edited by howson; 02-19-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mornin' Rob,
    I am circling back around to this project to eliminate having to setup my VIAIR 400P-RV compressor each time I need to use it (with both my Airlift bags and the truck's tires).

I've done quite a bit of reading and I've watched Airlift's videos. Based on what I think I know and how you have your system setup, is the following accurate?

With the WirelessOne remote's ability to regulate air to a specific set value, it looks like adding air to the tires is super-easy. If I understand correctly, I can attach a line from the emergency fill connection to a tire. (Let's use a front tire that takes 70 psi.) By setting the remote to 70 PSI, the pump will stop when the bags AND the tire reach 70 psi.

Moving on to a back tire, I'd change the value on the remote to 65 psi (with no line connected to a tire yet) and the air bags deflate from 70 to 65 psi. Now I can connect the air line to the rear tire (and emergency fill valve) and the tire fills with the pump stopping at 65 psi. I *assume* if the tire is over-inflated the WirelessOne will purge air (since the bags will have inflated over the current remote's setting) until the pressure reaches 65 psi.

Is that accurate?

Finally, how/where did you mount the emergency fill valve?
    Hi Howard,

Your description is exactly how I use my onboard compressor and wireless controller to top up tire pressure. I have never used it to completely fill a tire, but I expect that the VIAir compressor is up to this task. I have a linked side-to-side air bag system, so only one schrader "emergency fill" fitting which is located next to the licence plate on the rear bumper. One other thing . . . I always make sure that I have the truck running when I do this for best voltage at the compressor.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an awesome mod. I did the same on my truck and it has been very useful, both for myself and for others in need on the road. You can top off you truck and trailer tires with ease. I have it integrated with may air bags so I can add or remove air from the airbags sitting in the truck cab. I also use it to blow out my water system and winterize. The system I installed has two Viair compressors and two 5 gallon tanks mounted behind the skirts of the truck. Filters and drain valves are a must.

One feature that I included in my system that you did not include in yours is a Nathan P3 Old Cast Train Horn. Mounted in a void under the frame of the truck, it is a fun thing to have. Kids love it, as do most adults. My mom nearly cried when she first heard it as it brought back memories of her riding with her father down the rails when she was a child (her dad was an engineer, not a hobo). Only use for fun, never in angst.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast