Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slider or not?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slider or not?

Going to be a new 5er owner next week and after doing a search not finding what I need to know. Picking up a 2019 Reflection 29RS. I have a short bed GMC 2500, was hell bent on a auto slider then got to reading more about the 5 with the extended pin box and the front cap with max turn radius. Do you think a slider is really needed?
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Randall lee; 10-21-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall lee View Post
    Going to be a new 5er owner next week and after doing a search not finding what I need to know. Picking up a 2019 Reflection 29RS. I have a short bed GMC 2500, was hell bent on a auto slider then got to reading more about the 5 with the extended pin box and the front cap with max turn radius. Do you think a slider is really needed?
    Thanks for the help
    Randall Lee - Enter “Slider Hitch” into the search tool in the upper right corner, for hours of reading enjoyment on this topic . My “two cents worth” is get the manual slide and use it for easier maneuvering, not just cap to cab clearance.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks C&R found more info than I thought. Went with a B&W Patriot 18K manual slider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to having a 5th wheel. I haven’t picked up my new solitude trailer yet but I just took delivery of my 2019 F350 Lariat Diesel pickup. Came with Ford factory trailer package. Looking for information on what’s the best slider hitch to have installed and where in Michigan or Southwestern Ontario is the best place to have installed. I was told to get a auto slider ?
    My trailer is a 379RL. I would appreciate any help . Thank you

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke100 View Post
    I was told to get a auto slider ?
    Hi mburke100 - Many choose an auto-slider hitch. I am not a fan of the hitch moving back and forth in the box based on angle of turn . . . but, you have probably figured that out from post 2 of this thread . Tell us more about your truck . . . maybe you don't need a slider? Lots of experience and good first-hand advice on this forum. Feel free to ask any specific questions . . . once you "catch up" on the search reading!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply . My truck is a 2019 F350 Ford diesel with a 6ft 8 in box. I just don’t want to make a mistake when I have the chance to install the best one, my truck came with factory 5th wheel trailer kit and camera package

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The minute I see “Solitude” I think DRW. I can’t seem to find the specs for the 379RL so I’ll have to leave it at that. Given the width of the Solitude I would be tempted to get an auto slider (more opportunity for cab contact than with a narrower Reflection).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke100 View Post
    My trailer is a 379RL.
    mburke100 - This model number does not show up on the GDRV website . In any case, you probably need a slider of some type with a 6’ 8” box. When you say “factory trailer package” is this hitch, wiring and brake controller or does this also include 5th wheel hitch attachment pucks and/or gooseneck ball socket? As backtrack2015 has noted . . . a large Solitude is going to take a SRW truck close to its limit.

Rob

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a short bed and went with the Superglide. I have been pretty happy with the hitch, but it is a beast. Fortunately all I do with my truck is tow, so I just leave the hitch in the bed. Biggest complaint is hitching can be difficult with the capture plate, you have to pretty much be perfectly aligned. You also have to be careful that the king pin is at the proper height when hitching and unhitching as over time it will bend the lock catch. This happened to me and Pullrite replaced free of charge, even sent me a spare. When backing up and the truck and fiver are approaching 90 degrees, the front of the fiver is pretty close to the truck cab, but has never hit. Overall I would recommend.

DAN

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Biggest complaint is hitching can be difficult with the capture plate, you have to pretty much be perfectly aligned.
    This is one of the advantages of the manual slider over the auto slider. There is no alignment wedge or capture plate, so hitching or unhitching can be done at any angle. Approaching 90 degrees, clearance between cap and cab should be about the same.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast