Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slider or not?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    This is one of the advantages of the manual slider over the auto slider. There is no alignment wedge or capture plate, so hitching or unhitching can be done at any angle. Approaching 90 degrees, clearance between cap and cab should be about the same.

Rob
    Yes, we do a lot of dry camping so things are not always perfectly flat. There are times where I have to make numerous attempts in order to get the proper alignment, which can be embarrassing if people are watching. They all think you are inept, when in actuality it can be a bitch to get the hitch lined up.

DAN

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Yes, we do a lot of dry camping so things are not always perfectly flat. There are times where I have to make numerous attempts in order to get the proper alignment, which can be embarrassing if people are watching. They all think you are inept, when in actuality it can be a bitch to get the hitch lined up.

DAN
    With the side-to-side and fore-aft tilt range of my Reese Titan plus no limitations around the standard pin, I have never encountered an angle where I had any difficulty unhitching or hitching. With the slider moved back, I can even open the tailgate or RV front compartment when hitched at almost all these angles.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had done a lot of research on this and opted for a B&W Companion Non-Slider for our F350 CC SB. My reasoning for going this route is because I wanted a hitch that I could easily remove myself without asking for help or setting up a winch on the ceiling. I also was not comfortable going with a AUH based on the mixed information I seem to read even though I know many people love them. I asked our dealer what they use and see and they commented that they use all non-sliders to move rigs around their lot with all short bed trucks and mostly see people using non-sliders. My other deciding factor was it seems that I read a lot of comments about people who have a manual slider but have NEVER used it....but they are glad they have it. Plus, our 28BH has an extended pin box and front cap with max turn radius.

Based on all of this and the fact that the F350 is the longest short bed at 6'8" I opted for a non-slider and something I can easily remove and store. I know there is a risk there so try and take extra caution when backing up plus if I need to get to 90 degrees to back into a difficult spot I will likely opt for another location. It also gives my two boys a job to stand on both sides when I am backing up and there only job is to watch the front cap and truck cab. At some point I will try and see how much back up radius I have before hitting the cab box and will try and take pictures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a manual slider and the one time I really need to use it I didn't and paid the price. I was coming out of a service station and had to make a tight left turn. I was watching the pumps so close that I wasn't paying enough attention to the trailer. I ended up putting a pretty good dent in the corner of the cab.

I am one of those that have been pulling trailers for over 50 years and never had a problem. My thought was "all you have to do is pay attention to what you are doing". All it took was a second and it was too late.

I ended up getting a Reece Sidewinder pin box. It is unbelievable how maneuverable the trailer becomes and without worry of trailer cab contact. The thing I really like about the Sidewinder is I can still pull any 5th wheel with a conventional pin box. With an auto slider you can’t. Regardless of what route you go I would go with something that is auto. If you don't, chances are sooner or later, you will not be paying attention and end up where I did.....Calling my insurance.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Model of Solitude is 379FL. From what I am gathering due to width and length of trailer - seems to be 50/50 between auto and manual hitch. F350 truck has power hookup in the box, pucks for installation of hitch, electric brakes and ultimate trailer camera package with camera on fifth wheel hookup hitch. I hope I have everything I need.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone knows about the 80/20 rule. I think the fiver and cab having a kissing episode is more like 95/5. Rarely do most of encounter turn or back in situations where either a manual or auto slide stops the inappropriate kissing for the less than 8' boxes. But for that 5%, not having a broken back window, dented cab, and/or damaged front cap having a slider is priceless. As some have shared there are many sad stories here and elsewhere.

We have used our autoslider for 5 seasons and it has saved damage for us at least 2 times in extreme backing situations. I recall one was in an older campground with 90 degree pads from the narrow service road (both pad and road loaded with trees and landscaping bushes) and the autoslider saved our bacon !

We also have a tri-fold hard cover which we leave on when towing so we can cover the bed when not towing. With the auto slider, it automatically moves the camper away from the rear corners of the folded cover when turning to keep the two from making unwanted contact in undulated road conditions.

As with anything, it takes getting used to new things (hitching/unhitching/backing/pulling/etc.) but when this hill has been climbed a few times you are gtg.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the great advice

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post

We also have a tri-fold hard cover which we leave on when towing so we can cover the bed when not towing. With the auto slider, it automatically moves the camper away from the rear corners of the folded cover when turning to keep the two from making unwanted contact in undulated road conditions.

Dan
    This is another good point. I have a trifold bed cover as well and under certain conditions the nose of the fiver can clip the cover if I did not have a slider.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12