User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AUH Collapsed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My WAG is that the hitch was sitting in the bed at an angle due to the chain adapters which would definitely not be as designed. When the extreme pressure was put against the hitch it collapsed and as it collapsed it twisted/sheared off the ball.

A complete guess just based on the pics. The 2 pics of the hitch on FB were taken at different times so who knows what may have changed or was moved
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    A couple more thoughts:

(1) I thought I remembered that the AUH didn't cover the pucks in the Dodge. I don't have one, but maybe somebody can confirm.
    That would complete refute my guess so I would be interested to know also. I don't use the AUH but still would be interested in the cause.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    My WAG is that the hitch was sitting in the bed at an angle due to the chain adapters which would definitely not be as designed. When the extreme pressure was put against the hitch it collapsed and as it collapsed it twisted/sheared off the ball.

A complete guess just based on the pics. The 2 pics of the hitch on FB were taken at different times so who knows what may have changed or was moved
    https://image.ibb.co/dv1wa9/20180828_141822.jpg

Well forget my guess, looks like the hitch fits between the pucks.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading through the comments associated with this story on FB . . . reminds me why I don't look at FB any more.

Whatever the exact sequence of events, SAE J2807 requires that the truck be able to stop its GCWR with no help from the trailer brakes. Assuming that the hitch was sized correctly, it should have been able to stand up to that same requirement. The owner is positive that the hitch broke before he hit the vehicle ahead.

Whether the trailer is attached to the truck by the hitch, or jammed against the back of the truck because the hitch broke, doesn't change the GCW that the truck is trying to stop. I would suspect that he hit the vehicle ahead and this impact load exceeded the J2807 requirements and that is what severed the hitch ball . . . but that is just a guess.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-23-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick google search on AUH failures. Found two and both involved the RotoFlex pin box. I cannot determine from the pics if the required metal things (they bolt around the rubber plate to hold it in place) were installed on the pin box or not.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    ...I would suspect that the he hit the vehicle ahead and this impact load exceeded the J2807 requirements and that is what severed the hitch ball . . . but that is just a guess.

Rob
    You're probably correct. It'd be nice to know what actually happened, but unfortunately we'll never know for sure. SouthTX's comment about these pin-boxes being known to sever the AUH balls was interesting. I may have to read about that for a bit.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that relative to the pin boxes and the AUH there was a device to reduce the rotation of the pin box lower base plate. This is not from an engineering perspective, but in my mind there are way too many Erector set pieces linking the king pin of the fifth wheel to the tow vehicle, with high potential for leverage effect to exceed their strength, especially if the tow vehicle stopped abruptly. I would ask whether there were accident investigators involved. I would also bet that a normal fifth wheel hitch, such as the B & W Companion we use, in this situation would have held up to eliminate all the damage to the rear of the Ram and the front of the fifth wheel. I am glad we chose the way we did. I agree with Rob about the regrettable comments.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    You're probably correct. It'd be nice to know what actually happened, but unfortunately we'll never know for sure. SouthTX's comment about these pin-boxes being known to sever the AUH balls was interesting. I may have to read about that for a bit.
    Andersen's website says this:
    If you plan to use an Andersen Ultimate Connection with a Trailair Rota-Flex Pin Box, we recommend that you install a Rota-Flex Lockout Kit. This kit is designed to prevent the rubber pad in your Rota-Flex pin box from shifting over time. This kit is designed to fit most Rota-Flex pin boxes, but there are a few newer models that need longer steel bars. For those customers who need an extended kit, see our Extended Rota-Flex lockout kit (part #3247-XTD).
    https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ckout-kit.aspx

With this said, looking at the Rota-Flex without the lockout kit, it would seem to place a substantial twisting load on the AUH ball shaft and if the hitch works fore and aft it looks like it would snap the ball off the shaft. I don't know this for a fact, I'm no engineer, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn lately, but if you've ever seen a photo of this setup with the plate at an angle (rather than horizontial) you'll run to get out of the way before it fails.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the poster on Facebook they were going 55 MPH and were “3 car lengths” behind the trailer they were following.

At 55 mph, even without towing, 3 car lengths is way too lclose following distance at 55 MPH.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    55 mph-3 car lengths, my thinking is …. by the time the driver registered "brake lights" and decided they needed to stop, moved foot from foot feed on acceleration to the brake pedal and start to apply brakes at which time they had to decide how much brake do I need there went 2 car lengths, then deciding "holy crap" I need a lot of brake , there goes the last car length and everything happened at once , hard braking stress on hitch hitting the back of box trailer and coming to a stop. No chance for any of the brakes to do there job at a reasonable time. Thus everything stopped at once with a feeling of getting hit from behind. I'm sure there is some math equation to uphold my findings but I am not working so I refuse to do the math.
    Happy trails...

Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast