User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AUH Collapsed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the pictures leave many unanswered questions. Having used the AUH for three years with my prior truck and standard drum brakes on the Solitude, I had one instance of having to stand on the brakes to prevent hitting a pedestrian who stepped off the curb and crossed in front of me at 45 miles per hour (everyone was safe).

I had the RotoFlex without the lockout and did not experience any issues with the AUH in that panic stop. The single chain in the pictures, the shear of the AUH ball and the rotation of the AUH leave me puzzled.

I'm glad everyone was okay.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was always taught 1 car length per 10mph and double that when towing. What is curious in the pictures is the GN puck in the bed twisted under the hitch (sheared the two side plates) This tells me somehow a twisting motion occurred such as the trailer swinging out, unless the safety chain did it after ball breakage. BTW - looks like only one was attached? Would be interesting to see the hitch from underneath the truck to see if that frame gave way.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my take... Accidents don't happen because one thing failed, they happen because of an accumulation of things gone wrong. It appears from the damage to the box trailer and the front of the Dodge that this was a relatively minor impact. Certainly not enough to destroy the hitch. It also appears that the AUH collapsed forward, indicating the TV was stopping but the 5'er was not (at least not as quickly). I noticed that the right safety chain attachment on the pin adapter held but the left one appears to have snapped and straightened. The hitch rotated clockwise, suggesting it may not have been pulled down tight to the truck bed. Hard to tell if the gooseneck ball held or not. The AUH ball was to the rear. Okay... I think the driver hit the brakes in a panic stop but the 5'er brakes were weak or non-existent (greased?). Since the 5'er was pushing on the truck, there was enough leverage to pivot the hitch. As the hitch pivoted, it collapsed because the force dynamics changed in terms of the way the hitch is designed to be square with the bed and is not. As the hitch collapsed (rolled if you will), there was enough torque on the ball, since it's still locked in the adapter, to snap it. Since the 5'er is still moving forward while the TV is stopping / stopped, the 5'er hit the TV and pushed it into the box trailer. I've had a trailer come loose and hang on by the safety chains. When it catches up to you, it hits with quite a jolt.

So, if I were to speculate based on the pictures and drivers statement, I'd say inadequate 5'er brakes started the chain reaction. The 5'er pushing on an improperly tightened hitch caused the hitch to pivot, leading to it's collapse. When it collapsed, the torque snapped the ball off. The now loose 5'er hit the TV and sent it in to the box trailer.

Or, I couldn't be more wrong. Who knows...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John's explanation makes the most sense to me.

I'm not a fan of posting detailed explanations of vehicle accidents you are personally involved in on public forums though. People post this stuff and apparently don't think the cops and insurance investigators will access it. Details matter. Some of that posting and the specific terms like "3 car lengths" could come back to bite them later. Maybe they were tailgating and the entire post is CYA too, who knows. The skid marks and other evidence will tell the tale in the end. I would have stuck with pictures and not so many words.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon has a very valid point about not posting details when you're involved in an accident. As a matter of fact, when I had my Jeep accident a couple of years ago, my attorney advised me not to post anything on social media. Even brief explanations can be used by your opponent against you. That's also why I even worded my speculation above the way I did, so as not to indicate a conclusion.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reading back through the original FB description of this event, the original poster states "the tires on the truck and camper were sliding".
    This would indicate that the trailer brakes were locked on . . . but, why was the truck not into ABS braking?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question! Thought of that too
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't going to post, everyone always has an opinion on a hitch that they don't use or have never used. That being said, I have now towed two different fifth wheels with the AUH in my Ram using the ball and not the puck system. I have chains as well. Have made numerous panic stops because people are too in a hurry and have no clue how much longer it takes to stop these things. Have locked the fifth wheel up and ABS rattling on the truck. Not a problem so far, knock on wood. My buddy from our camping group was using the AUH in his identical Ram, going 30-35MPH in heavy traffic and got cut off by a new driver that panicked and slammed on the brakes. He hit the brakes, tapped her rear end causing some damage to his bumper and grill. His AUH crumpled forward off the ball and his fifth wheel tagged his tailgate. I drove about 3 hours back and picked up his fifth wheel and pulled it back home. After trying two other hitches, he is going back to the AUH. In his case, we were looking at it and thinking it wasn't torqued down enough on the ball, even though our procedures are the same, torqued to 50. Andersen is telling folks to go to 60 now. There are reports of Reese hitch failures, B&W, Pullrite, etc. Also notices that Demco, Pullrite, and a couple others, now have similar setups to the AUH. Hard to say what caused this guys failure, following too closely, not checking his torque specs, setup wrong. Just glad that everyone was okay.
    2019 Momentum 376TH
    2015 Ram Laramie Ltd. CC, LB, DRW (Bertha)
    USN Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the criticisms I have with Andersen is the lack of communication to customers when improvements are made and installation instructions are updated. For example, the early aluminum versions were replaced with a model that was redesigned with additional support legs. Those in the know got a free replacement. Many did not.

Many have complained about the hitch base having a slight movement causing paint damage to the bed of the truck. Andersen recommendations is to use a rubber mat between the base and tge truck bed. Again nothing directly communicated to current owners. And the biggie is now the torque spec’s have been increased to 60 ft. lbs. from 50.
    I bought my hitch directly from Andersen so there’s no question they don’t know my name and address.

Why does one have to find out about these new updates/procedures from word of mouth/forums/FB postings?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minnow101, I agree with you there, I too bought directly from them, they have my information.
    2019 Momentum 376TH
    2015 Ram Laramie Ltd. CC, LB, DRW (Bertha)
    USN Retired

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast