User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AUH Collapsed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without being there and seeing what happened and it is hard to criticize for following too close. If the traffic was heavy he could easily have been keeping the proper distance between trucks but other people would keep pulling in between them. Have had this happen to many times.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my AUH in February and there is a label right on the hitch to torque to 60-70 LB. Another label states to loosen both lower bolts, torque top bolt and tighten and torque lower bolts to 40 LB.
    Ron & Dianne

2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2012 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel, SWR

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that I like the way our B&W Companion hitch is put together as I feel it could likely tolerate an abrupt stop as well as any hitch out there. With that said, it is likely that if the operator could have done something differently in this traffic situation the entire ordeal could have been avoided. Without being there it it difficult to say. It is a blessing that no one was hurt and that RV and truck damage appear to be repairable.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is, if you have to have a goose neck ball installed to use the AUH, why not get a coupler adapter? No frame in the bed of the truck and my goose neck is rated at 27k+
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
    Wasn't going to post, everyone always has an opinion on a hitch that they don't use or have never used. That being said, I have now towed two different fifth wheels with the AUH in my Ram using the ball and not the puck system. I have chains as well. Have made numerous panic stops because people are too in a hurry and have no clue how much longer it takes to stop these things. Have locked the fifth wheel up and ABS rattling on the truck. Not a problem so far, knock on wood. My buddy from our camping group was using the AUH in his identical Ram, going 30-35MPH in heavy traffic and got cut off by a new driver that panicked and slammed on the brakes. He hit the brakes, tapped her rear end causing some damage to his bumper and grill. His AUH crumpled forward off the ball and his fifth wheel tagged his tailgate. I drove about 3 hours back and picked up his fifth wheel and pulled it back home. After trying two other hitches, he is going back to the AUH. In his case, we were looking at it and thinking it wasn't torqued down enough on the ball, even though our procedures are the same, torqued to 50. Andersen is telling folks to go to 60 now. There are reports of Reese hitch failures, B&W, Pullrite, etc. Also notices that Demco, Pullrite, and a couple others, now have similar setups to the AUH. Hard to say what caused this guys failure, following too closely, not checking his torque specs, setup wrong. Just glad that everyone was okay.
    Watched AUH YouTube video and even after 3 years using the Ultimate 1 I learned something. About the 11:00 mark they're recommending to final torque the top bolt (60 - 70 lb/ft) with the full weight of the 5th wheel on the hitch ball followed by 40# on the lower keeper bolts. Sounds like good methodology so will do that going forward. The instruction manual on my new U2 states the process without the trailer on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xBBCFdj5w

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    My question is, if you have to have a goose neck ball installed to use the AUH, why not get a coupler adapter? No frame in the bed of the truck and my goose neck is rated at 27k+
    Son-in-law has gooseneck adapter in his Dodge for his 5th wheel. Says it rocks and knocks. I get none of that with B&W turnaround ball and AUH. I think if you watch Anderson video (Mr Truck) you'll see a lot nicer articulation with the AUH.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always visualized safety chains as preventing the trailer from sliding out of the back of the truck. Never considered they'd be for the trailer moving forward, through the cab. Just finished up adding my Anderson chain kit to my 5'er. Went with the Anderson plate to be sure and not effect the integrity of the AUH, even though Anderson said it would be ok. In the event of a failure I'd rather not have mods I did take the rap..
    Wondering if the FB poster had the actual chain fail or might it have been the eyelet on the block.. I'm thinking the latter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234