User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    Yes I have that reese picture frame adapter and am using a comfortride hitch which has air cells and as far as fifth wheel hitches go its great. But that goosebox sure is nice. So your saying I could just get the curt ball you found on amazon and just drill a new hole for it further back.... Pretty sweet idea!
    Correct - I don't know why that would not work. I would be sure to reinforce the connection wit a large fender washer and lock nut on the back. What do other think?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    FWIW......our 2016 337 came with a Reese Goosebox (GB) from day one as we stipulated that it was to be part of the deal. Since I use my pick up (2017 RAM 3500 DRW and 8' bed) for hauling sheets of plywood and other cra....uh stuff, I just couldn't see using a typical 5th wheel hitch plate. Besides the weight factor, a GB, IMHO is as simple as you can get. Here's some things I've learned in the almost 3 years of use.

- Although I've not measured, I'm relatively certain that my freedom of movement in yaw, pitch, and roll of the GB is every bit the equivalent of a typical 5th wheel hitch plate system.
    - It's not mentioned very often but the GB has both air bags and dual shocks. Those features plus the relative tight tolerance between ball O.D. and GB socket I.D. results in virtually no chucking. With 5th wheel plates YMMV.
    - If you get a GB, the first thing you wanna do - and this is straight from the Reese Engineer's mouth - is remove the valve that is in-line and attached to the GB and throw it away. This valve was suppose to be a pop-off valve of sorts for the air bags. Great idea - but not so much in practice.
    - Hitching up can be frustrating as hell until you get the hang of it since you pretty much need to have the GB dead nuts centered on the ball in your bed. Me? I painted a white "upside down" arrow on the flat face of the GB which allows me to see where I'm at whilst backing up. The RAM's bed camera comes in handy too.
    - The release cable has a "stop" on it that allows the cable to be placed in a slot during unhitching and this "stop" captures the cable in the slot. Plan on tweaking that "stop" - unless you like having to reach and stretch and cuss and pull the cable handle several times.
    - IMHO, the Reese engineers could tweak the GB's dimensions a bit due to the bed depths of newer pickemups. In certain situations (turn angle, position of truck level versus RV level, off-camber, etc.) it is possible for the GB to contact the truck bed's upper rails (don't ask me how I found this out). For reference, my GB is on the lowest set of holes on the RV's pin box wings. And for my truck/RV setup, this results in a pretty dang level RV and about 6" - 7" of gap between bedrails and underside of RV.

Hope this helps.

Tom
    FYI, Reese just updated the GooseBox design. The Engineers addressed the height adjustment issue and they re-designed the valve for the air bag.

I have the latest design and just love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there 1965 GMC. Did you by chance trade your 350M in at Colerain in Indianapolis?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is great to see so much interest in the goosebox. So far I have not seen on in person but I have done a lot of research on them.

In two days I will pick up my first fifth wheel camper. I factory ordered a Solitude 310GK 10 weeks ago and I am having the dealer install the 20k Reesegoose box gen II. My truck which was also factory ordered is a diesel Ford F350 long bed, dually, 4x4, super cab, with the puck system and all the towing goodies available. The suspension is standard as I did not want to have any heavy duty off road stuff that might change the height or add stiffness to the already firm suspension.

I ordered a B&W Gooseneck ball. It is a little taller than most measuring 5 3/4” from the bed to the top of the ball. I am wondering if it will make the trailer too high in the front. I’m thinking if we stop at a rest area its not good to be too far out of level for our gas/electric refrigerator. Any thoughts?

My previous camper that I sold on craigslist two weeks ago was a 28.5’ long Jayco 24RL towed with an Audi Q7 with a 6 cylinder engine. So this will be a huge upgrade for us.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been using the GB on a short bed RAM and have never had a issue with forward radius. I do have to watch backing but you can get very tight turns without an offset.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out that with the B&w Goose ball and the Goosebox set on the second set of holes down it is perfectly level with good clearance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190531_200132.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	20393

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops here is the side view photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190531_152315.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	20397

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandliving View Post
    I am really liking the look of the reese goosebox and not having to deal with the fifth wheel hitch but unfortunately have the short bed f350

I am considering making a gooseneck ball that is slightly offset with the reese picture frame adapter for the pucks but would need some measurements from someone with the longbed and the setup.

Does anyone have a newer f350 and the reese goosebox on a 337??

Hello GrandLiving,
    Our truck is similar to yours. Wondering what hitch you went with and the pros and cons of actually using it?
    Thanks
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the BW Companion slider for my f350 cc sb 4x4...great hitch...very well made...(i lift it out of the bed with an electric hoist when we get back from a road trip) extremely easy to connect/disconnect... I haven’t seen anyone using a GB with a ford sb w/factory puck system....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone give the measurement from the glass to the ball on a GM long box with pucks. The 2020 GM standard box has increased the distance to about 46 inches. Wondered how they compared

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast