User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in agreement. One ton diesel is the way to go, especially with a 337.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigger isn't always better but I think we will end up there anyway. We had a Silverado 1500 with a V-8 when we went trailer shopping. The rear end limited us to 6400 pounds and we ended up getting a gas F-250 when we decided to buy an Imagine 2800BH. Traded in a two tear old truck to upgrade.
    Having traveled all year in the Imagine, over 10,000 miles, we are now thinking about upgrading to a Reflection 337rls in another year. That will dictate a move to a 1-ton diesel. (our F-250 is 14 months old) Trade-ups are killing us. Didn't want a diesel or a DRW but thinking we will go that way if we decide we are upgrading the trailer. Will choose the truck based on a Solitude even though we would but a Reflection. Want this to be the FINAL truck upgrade and buy for the next two upgrades even if we never go that far.
    Wanda & Jim and Tedi Doodles
    2020 Reflection 337 rls
    2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyork08854 View Post
    Didn't want a diesel or a DRW but thinking we will go that way if we decide we are upgrading the trailer. Will choose the truck based on a Solitude even though we would buy a Reflection. Want this to be the FINAL truck upgrade and buy for the next two upgrades even if we never go that far.
    Very smart move. We didn't plan to replace our Reflection but when we made that decision, we had to replace our truck at the same time. Spendy upgrade!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TWGardner View Post
    I am new member to the forum and this is my first post. We recently purchased a 337RLS fifth wheel. We Have been towing it with a 2015 Silverado 2500HD gas version. The MPG averages 7 - 8. The power on hills is not great. Are most owners of this size trailer towing with diesel trucks? I am considering purchasing a 2018 GMC 2500 HD diesel truck. Any recommendations on the diesel would be appreciated. TWGardner
    Most folks are towing the 337 with diesels for the several reasons as members have have shared here already.

However another important item is that many folks have reported over the years that a 337 pin weight when loaded is in the 3000 lb. +/- range. Most diesel 2500 series trucks have payloads in the 2400 +/- range. Without even loading the interior of pickup with folks other than the driver, items and then what ever is in the box (hitch/other) you will be seriously over the payload. Now yes, the tire and rear springs ratings may not be exceeded in some load situations but to have payload margin not only makes sense but could be a safety factor.

Many dealers sell the 337 as a 2500 series truck compatible package. I even had a regional dealer owner get mildly upset with me when we talked 2500 vs 3500. The dealer said we GDRV Owners on the forum are making too big a deal over the payload sticker and s/b focusing on spring and tire ratings. And this dealer is not alone.......many dealers and obviously owners do the same thing.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyork08854 View Post
    Bigger isn't always better but I think we will end up there anyway. We had a Silverado 1500 with a V-8 when we went trailer shopping. The rear end limited us to 6400 pounds and we ended up getting a gas F-250 when we decided to buy an Imagine 2800BH. Traded in a two tear old truck to upgrade.
    Having traveled all year in the Imagine, over 10,000 miles, we are now thinking about upgrading to a Reflection 337rls in another year. That will dictate a move to a 1-ton diesel. (our F-250 is 14 months old) Trade-ups are killing us. Didn't want a diesel or a DRW but thinking we will go that way if we decide we are upgrading the trailer. Will choose the truck based on a Solitude even though we would but a Reflection. Want this to be the FINAL truck upgrade and buy for the next two upgrades even if we never go that far.
    I had a trailer for my first RV and the 3/4 ton Chevy gas van we towed with handled it just fine. Then we bought a Class A. When we decided to get a fiver, I knew we'd need a new truck and so i took the specs and went shopping. Our first fiver was a Bighorn and I could have easily gotten by with an F250 gasser. But, knowing me, I decided to go whole hog and buy an F350 diesel dually and sure enough, along came the Solitude 374TH and I already had the right truck. Good news - saved a few bucks. Bad news - lost my excuse for explaining to DW why I need a new truck.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good example of gas vs diesel. My cousin and I had identical trucks except him/gas and me/diesel. Driving on a section of highway with about a 7 mile 7% grade. Him towing a 1500lb boat, me towing an 8000lb travel trailer. Him in 4th gear, foot to the floor to maintain 60mph. Me in 5th gear, cruise control on, maintaining 70mph with power to spare. I too would never go back to gas for towing.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in ranch country and we hauled livestock and hay with gas engines. My dad was a Chevrolet dealer (kind of why I am a chevy guy), when I went to buy a truck to pull my 5th wheel with he poo pooed the need for a diesel. A guy who had sold thousands of gas engines to ranchers that pull heavy loads. I bought a diesel anyway. My dad was full of it. Gas engines will never pull as well as a diesel. Once you have pulled anything with a diesel engine you will never go back to a gas engine.

I will never purchase a gas engine tow vehicle again, ever.
    Last edited by howson; 10-29-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: No cussing, please.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    Thank you for your reply.

Tom Gardner

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)