User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine used to tow his camper with a gas half ton then bought a diesel one ton.

But now he is thinking about selling his heavy duty diesel truck and buying a smaller, lighter truck with half the torque because he feels he’s a little “too comfortable” towing in the mountains with an exhaust brake.

He wants to feel more like his truck is an extension of his body. He wants to actually use the disc brakes on his truck and the antiquated drum brakes on his trailer. He misses pulling over and letting the brakes cool off. He did that a lot.

Most days he forgets the trailer is attached so he wants to trade down to a truck that weighs thousands of pounds less, then he can feel that awesome swoosh of a passing 18 wheeler!

He’s also tired of towing his rig up long steep hills and barely being able to hear his engine. He wants to hear that motor screaming all the way to the top.

I told him he was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one issue with this- it will be difficult or impossible to hear the Westlake tires on his RV to blow out almost immediately. But the solution of installing Goodyear Endurance tires which are impervious to any possible deflation issues can be added at very low cost! Not crazy- just different.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    A friend of mine used to tow his camper with a gas half ton then bought a diesel one ton.

But now he is thinking about selling his heavy duty diesel truck and buying a smaller, lighter truck with half the torque because he feels he’s a little “too comfortable” towing in the mountains with an exhaust brake.

He wants to feel more like his truck is an extension of his body. He wants to actually use the disc brakes on his truck and the antiquated drum brakes on his trailer. He misses pulling over and letting the brakes cool off. He did that a lot.

Most days he forgets the trailer is attached so he wants to trade down to a truck that weighs thousands of pounds less, then he can feel that awesome swoosh of a passing 18 wheeler!

He’s also tired of towing his rig up long steep hills and barely being able to hear his engine. He wants to hear that motor screaming all the way to the top.

I told him he was crazy.

LOL post of the day right here! Interesting new avatar...looks like he is deciding which solar panels to go with. Jus sayin
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    There is one issue with this- it will be difficult or impossible to hear the Westlake tires on his RV to blow out almost immediately. But the solution of installing Goodyear Endurance tires which are impervious to any possible deflation issues can be added at very low cost! Not crazy- just different.
    Most of the Westlake "blowouts" seem to involve shedding the tread but continuing to hold air. Nice safety feature.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I told him he was crazy.

Your friend could save some money by keeping his diesel. No need for a new truck. Simply select a lower gear and plant your foot so the engine is running at top rpm when climbing grade. Keep the exhaust brake off and use those discs and electric trailer brakes. When a semi goes by, tug the wheel to simulate the effect. Want sway? Just a little sawing at the wheel can simulate that. Problems solved!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I told him he was crazy.

Funny, I do not have any of these issues with my half ton truck. TT sized properly and a smooth, 23mpg (empty) ride, no def, no stink, low maintenance, and lower cost. Many factors goes into what to buy.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 02-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Your friend could save some money by keeping his diesel. No need for a new truck. Simply select a lower gear and plant your foot so the engine is running at top rpm when climbing grade. Keep the exhaust brake off and use those discs and electric trailer brakes. When a semi goes by, tug the wheel to simulate the effect. Want sway? Just a little sawing at the wheel can simulate that. Problems solved!
    Awesome

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the OP should get a large touring motorcycle and connect a teardrop trailer to really feel an extension of his/her body.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Funny, I do not have any of these issues with my half ton truck. TT sized properly and a smooth, 23mpg (empty) ride, no def, no stink, low maintenance, and lower cost. Many factors goes into what to buy.

I totally agree with what you said about properly sizing the truck to the RV. There are many cases, where a properly equipped half ton is "properly sized" for the RV. In this case, the OP just bought a 337RLS; considering it has a GCWR of almost 14k lbs., there is a solid case to be made that a 1 ton diesel is a "properly sized" truck for this fifth wheel.

I will add that intentionally used the phrase, "...is a properly sized truck...", not "the" properly sized truck because, as you stated, there are many factors and sometimes there are multiple solutions.
    Last edited by Keebler; 02-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I totally agree with what you said about properly sizing the truck to the RV. There are many cases, where a properly equipped half ton is "properly sized" for the RV. In this case, the OP just bought a 337RLS; considering it has a GCWR of almost 14k lbs., there is a solid case to be made that a 1 ton diesel is a "properly sized" truck for this fifth wheel.

I will add that intentionally used the phrase, "...is a properly sized truck...", not "the" properly sized truck because, as you stated, there are many factors and sometimes there are multiple solutions.
    Keebler,
    Thank you. I like diesels just as much as gas engines so I'm really not partial but as stated believe in matching components based on many factors. If I were towing a 337RLS I would have a one ton DRW.
    Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 02-07-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast