User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we decided on upgrading to a heavier fifth wheel, I saw the writing on the wall and traded in my Titan XD diesel (5/8-ton) and went directly to a 1-ton dually. I knew I was eventually going to end there anyways, so didn't want to buy an interim truck to get me to my FINAL truck. I'm done buying trucks.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my reply on the process I went through when arriving at my current truck.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/showthread.php/14075-Towing-the-303rls/page2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1 ton diesel is my daily driver. I enjoy it, except today and tomorrow when the temperatures are -25 without windchill. Otherwise no regrets and I enjoy my rig. Good mileage, fun to drive and always like knowing I can hook up to just about anything with ok worries.
    JD
    :boink:
    2019 367BHS
    2018 3500 Silverado SRW Diesel
    B&W turnover with Companion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asanch68 View Post
    I never really considered a one ton since I wouldn't prefer to have that as my everyday vehicle but should I make that leap?
    If you do some research you will find that there is virtually no difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton other than the yellow sticker on the door. The 1 ton will have a stiffer overload spring than the 3/4 ton, which you never really get into unless you are hauling a lot of weight. Driving them both empty you will not notice much, if any, difference at all.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropyerjaws View Post
    My 1 ton diesel is my daily driver. I enjoy it, except today and tomorrow when the temperatures are -25 without windchill. Otherwise no regrets and I enjoy my rig. Good mileage, fun to drive and always like knowing I can hook up to just about anything with ok worries.
    Yeah, same here. Mine is my daily driver. We do have another vehicle though - wife just traded in her 2016 Jeep Cherokee for a 2018 Nissan Armada SL. That's a gas guzzler too, but it's such a comfortable ride that I don't mind paying at the pump.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it sounds like the real advantage to a diesel is the longevity of the engine and reduced overall maintenance. Does your towing experience show that a diesel will perform better at higher altitudes?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it sounds like the real advantage to a diesel is the longevity of the engine and reduced overall maintenance.
    The advantage of a diesel engine is the amount of torque provided at a lower RPM. From Ford's 2017 F-250 brochure: 6.2L (gas) has 430 lb.-ft @ 3,800 rpm. The 6.7L (diesel) has 925 @ 1,800-2,000 rpm. That is a real difference you can feel and experience when pulling a heavy load.

Does your towing experience show that a diesel will perform better at higher altitudes?
    "Better", in this context, is difficult to quantify. Due to being purpose-built a diesel usually is "better" for frequent and/or heavy towing. A gasoline engine will also tow, but at a higher RPM. (See Ford's brochure. In every category* a diesel can tow more than its gas equivalent. The GCWR is also less in nearly every case for a gasoline vs diesel setup.)

Whether a person goes for a gas or diesel depends on frequency of use, amount being towed, where the load is being towed (lots of tall mountains with tough grades?), etc. Neither a gas or diesel is always the right answer--that's why there are options.

*Gearing can get the weight-distribution numbers nearly identical, if the diesel has 3.31 and the gas has 4.3.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it sounds like the real advantage to a diesel is the longevity of the engine and reduced overall maintenance. Does your towing experience show that a diesel will perform better at higher altitudes?
    There was a time when a diesel would last forever with little maintenance. With modern DPF and DEF exhaust emission systems, turbochargers and computer controlled fuel systems . . . I'm not sure that "longevity and reduced overall maintenance" is still a fair description of a diesel powertrain.

Any turbocharged engine (gasoline or diesel) will do better than a normally aspirated engine at higher elevations.

With reference to "in every category a diesel can tow more than its gas equivalent" . . . this is true for 3/4 and one ton trucks. In the half ton world, the gasoline Ecoboost can out-haul its diesel equivalent, if the F150 is equipped with the Heavy Payload Package . . . which is not available with the much heavier diesel powertrain.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the F350 to be very nice as a daily driver. It's the daily parking that is the challenge. I love the dually and long bed for towing, but there are many parking spots that don't accommodate the truck. When the option is there, I will park on the outskirts of large lots. While on an RV trip with no other options, I have even opted to Uber into the downtown areas of older cities with limited parking.

If you are going to use the truck as a daily driver, I'd recommend considering about the parking options you will be facing. In my case, I do find that I have enough options to make the dually and the long bed work. No doubt that there are times that we are going somewhere (not pulling) and I choose to take the wife's car purely do to parking issues.

I used to tow a TT with a totally capable F150; it towed fine. That said, I would feel some movement when getting passed by an 18 wheeler. Nothing horrible, but it was there. With this setup, it's totally relaxed.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since someone mentioned reliability of diesels...

All I know is from my own personal experience.

I owned a gas F150 for 4 years. I bought it used with 120k miles on it. It was 7 years old. I put 12,000 miles on it because I only worked a few miles away and I was there a lot. That truck was in the shop a dozen times and cost me several thousand dollars in repairs and I never towed with it.
    Prior to that I owned various other gas vehicles, Chevy and Dodge and Ford.
    They were all in the shop routinely.

I bought my F250 diesel used, 6 years old with 111k miles on it. I had to replace the batteries after 3 months. They were the originals to the vehicle as the manufacturer labels indicated. I have towed with this truck approximately 6,000 miles and have put a total of 24,000 miles on it over the past 2 years. It has never been in the shop and I’ve never done any maintenance to it other than have the oil changed and fuel filters changed.

So far this diesel has proven to be much more reliable than all the other vehicles I’ve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast