User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t automatically dismiss a getting a repair covered because your technically out of warranty. Call GD directly. They may assist you in effecting repairs.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    Well, my husband checked for tire to floor clearance. Not happy, found damage from rubbing on both sides, with the heavier side leaving pretty good grooves in the plywood. We are out of warranty, but do have an extended warranty. We will be taking pictures and see if anything can be done.
    Vicki,
    Sorry that you have this issue. I did as well on my 2600RB as many others since the Imagine line simply has underated springs and axles. They have moved to 4400 lb axles and springs for 2019. As Minnow 101 has stated, you should call GDRV and make a request for either a repair or for parts. Since you also have an extended warranty, it looks like you will be covered either way. On my rig, LCI send me all new OEM springs and I upgraded this with wetbolts, and a MORryde CRE3000 system to reduce road shock. Also installed one inch lift blocks to overcome the lack of tire clearance even with new springs IMO. You also would have the option of heavier springs on the heavy side or hitting GDRV for the 2200 lb springs and possibly 4400 lb axles. Since I am marginally heavier on the kitchen side, we began loading much more under the dinette to help reduce the load on the kitchen side. My rig sitting mostly prepared for a trip (minus clothes, water, food, beverage) sits 1/4 inch lower on the kitchen side where I will keep an eye on this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2600RB 1 inch lift with new U bolts and CRE3000.jpg   20180711_181525.jpg  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a little research on 3500 lb axles. If you put 4400 lbs springs on you will still be limited to the weight capability of the weakest part of the suspension. You need to take in account the axle tube, spindle, bearings, wheel capacity and tires etc.. I looked on eTrailer.com and Lippert to try and compare parts. I did this because I remembered differences in components when looking at 5200 lb and 6000 lb. axles.

It looks like the spindle and bearings for the 3500 lb. axles fall into a group of axles up to 4000 lbs. the 4400 lbs axles seem to fall into the 5200 lb. group of axles. So what this means is the 3500 lb. axles have smaller bearings and spindle than the 4400 lb axle. If the axle tube 3500 lb axle is the same size and wall thickness as the 4000 lb axle then you would be limited to a maximum of 4000 lbs on the side you put 4400 lb axles on. If the tubing on the 3500 lb axle is limited to 3500 lbs, then you will still be limited to 3500 lbs.

So to be safe you will still be limited to 3500 lbs on side of the trailer. The only thing springs will help with is leveling things out.

If you were to put 4400 lb axles on then that would level the trailer out somewhat because of the higher spring rate.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    I did a little research on 3500 lb axles. If you put 4400 lbs springs on you will still be limited to the weight capability of the weakest part of the suspension. You need to take in account the axle tube, spindle, bearings, wheel capacity and tires etc.. I looked on eTrailer.com and Lippert to try and compare parts. I did this because I remembered differences in components when looking at 5200 lb and 6000 lb. axles.

It looks like the spindle and bearings for the 3500 lb. axles fall into a group of axles up to 4000 lbs. the 4400 lbs axles seem to fall into the 5200 lb. group of axles. So what this means is the 3500 lb. axles have smaller bearings and spindle than the 4400 lb axle. If the axle tube 3500 lb axle is the same size and wall thickness as the 4000 lb axle then you would be limited to a maximum of 4000 lbs on the side you put 4400 lb axles on. If the tubing on the 3500 lb axle is limited to 3500 lbs, then you will still be limited to 3500 lbs.

So to be safe you will still be limited to 3500 lbs on side of the trailer. The only thing springs will help with is leveling things out.

If you were to put 4400 lb axles on then that would level the trailer out somewhat because of the higher spring rate.

Pat
    I agree Pat,
    The max GVW would still be the same on a 3500 lb axle with 2200 lb springs versus the 1750 lb springs. If the springs and axles were upgraded, legally the GVW would still be the same. This exercise in the stronger spring on the weak side would be used to prevent yielding of the springs and to avoid any leaning. There will be some additional forces applied to the axle on that side but without this, you bottom and yield the springs. If I were trying for warranty I would first try for the axles and springs since GDRV has gone this route on the 2019 models. If they will not upgrade then it will get the OEM springs with marginal tire clearance.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think that stepping up one size in springs on the heavy side would necessarily increase loads into the axle. If this prevents impact loads from the tire hitting the body, this should actually lessen the loads into the axle.

On my 303 with the same setup that Pat has (OE 4 leaf 2600 lb springs on the light side and 5 leaf 3000 lb springs on the heavy side) the trailer rides much more comfortably than it did falling to the left on every impact because the OE springs could not support the weight on the heavy side.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #@ Rob&Vicki
    Check the camber on your axles. The LCI method is to hold a 4ft straight edge such as a level, and measure the gap in the middle. You likely have Dexters, find out how to measure this. If out of spec, GDRV may replace your axles. Then ask for the upgraded axles, even offer to pay the difference. Install the 2200lb springs and I think you'll be good to go.

I did this with my 315RLTS earlier this year. GDRV replaced my 5200lb axles with 6000lb Dexters. I offered to pay the difference but it was a small amount, especially when considering shipping. They paid for Dexter 6k lb axles that my repair shop sourced locally. I replaced the springs with higher quality units (the eyes are actually round!), putting standard 2600lb springs on the curb side and 3000lb springs on the 800lb heavier street side. Voila, trailer now sits level side to side.

Good luck! Tires rubbing on the bottom of the trailer is a serious design flaw. Hope GDRV steps up for you!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, We just purchased a new 2019 Imagine 2600RB, We will take delivery Friday Nov. 9th. Pretty Excited! But this thread and the factory recall of units with 4400# axels with missing inner bearings has me pretty worried. I have asked our salesman to verify that our unit has been inspected for the bearing problem and he said that he was sure that it had but would ask the shop manager. No reply yet but I will follow up prior to taking delivery. Now this spring Axel discussion and my next question. How can I ensure that I have the new 4400# axels and 2200# springs myself, beyond taking the salesman word for it? Are the axels and springs labeled so that I can get underneath and inspect it myself? Could I send the Vin. # to GD for verification of the bearings, axels and springs and the they have been certified? Thanks for all of the help.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that would be the most accurate method to determine which spring set is on your rig. Have the VIN and they can tell you if you have the updated springs installed.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SloHand View Post
    Guys, We just purchased a new 2019 Imagine 2600RB, We will take delivery Friday Nov. 9th. Pretty Excited! But this thread and the factory recall of units with 4400# axels with missing inner bearings has me pretty worried. I have asked our salesman to verify that our unit has been inspected for the bearing problem and he said that he was sure that it had but would ask the shop manager. No reply yet but I will follow up prior to taking delivery. Now this spring Axel discussion and my next question. How can I ensure that I have the new 4400# axels and 2200# springs myself, beyond taking the salesman word for it? Are the axels and springs labeled so that I can get underneath and inspect it myself? Could I send the Vin. # to GD for verification of the bearings, axels and springs and the they have been certified? Thanks for all of the help.
    SloHand - The springs will not be identified with any codes or part numbers that will make sense, but the axle assembly will. There is a label on the back side of each axle at it's center. This will clearly identify the capacity of your axles. If you have factory 4400 lb axles, it is safe to assume that the springs are 2200 lb each.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SloHand View Post
    What I'd do is take an old set of clothes and crawl underneath the camper to look at the axle sticker myself before accepting the camper. If you're able, I suggest you do the same (or take a friend to check for you).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast