User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat springs on a 2018 28BH

We bought this trailer new last year and we love it! Suits us well. We made a trip to Alaska this summer and put 9,000 miles on it going up and back, great trip! Around mid way through our trip I noticed the trailer was leaning more to the right side than before. I looked under to see the right springs were flat but the left side still had some arch. We got this trailer that still have the 3500# Lippert axles and springs. The warrantee was already expired but GD supplied us with four new springs which are the same units. I decided to weigh the trailer side to side to see if there were any difference and found out the right side is 500 pounds heavier weighing in at 3340 pounds and the left is 2840 pounds. The right side is almost to capacity with the trailer empty. So by the time we load the pantry, refrigerator, and the storage by the bunk beds it will exceed the weight limit on the right side. The left side has enough room for more weight with the current springs but I'm going to either add a leaf to the new springs for the right side or get 2200# springs. Seems like 500 pounds is a lot of difference between the two sides.
    Looking for advice on the adding a leaf or would it be better to get the 2200# springs?
    Also I just got the MORryde equalizers and wet bolt kit to put in when I change the springs out. Good time to do it.
    Btw, new to the group, great information!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    We bought this trailer new last year and we love it! Suits us well. We made a trip to Alaska this summer and put 9,000 miles on it going up and back, great trip! Around mid way through our trip I noticed the trailer was leaning more to the right side than before. I looked under to see the right springs were flat but the left side still had some arch. We got this trailer that still have the 3500# Lippert axles and springs. The warrantee was already expired but GD supplied us with four new springs which are the same units. I decided to weigh the trailer side to side to see if there were any difference and found out the right side is 500 pounds heavier weighing in at 3340 pounds and the left is 2840 pounds. The right side is almost to capacity with the trailer empty. So by the time we load the pantry, refrigerator, and the storage by the bunk beds it will exceed the weight limit on the right side. The left side has enough room for more weight with the current springs but I'm going to either add a leaf to the new springs for the right side or get 2200# springs. Seems like 500 pounds is a lot of difference between the two sides.
    Looking for advice on the adding a leaf or would it be better to get the 2200# springs?
    Also I just got the MORryde equalizers and wet bolt kit to put in when I change the springs out. Good time to do it.
    Rob,
    There is a ton of information on this forum in regard to this issue. Rob from "Rob and Cate" has corrected this issue with stronger springs on the weak side to balance out the RV. Others including myself have used lift blocks for tire clearance issues.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob&Vicki
    Welcome to the group, do a little searching as @MidwestCamper has suggested and you will the info you are looking for.
    Glad you are enjoying the new camper.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    Rob,
    Welcome to the forum! We have "Second Chance Rob" and "Another" Rob--any preference on how we'll address you? "Rob the Third" sounds awfully aristocratic. (I'm kidding--Rob it is.)

OK, to your question. As Country Campers referenced, check out this thread (especially post #5 ): https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-on-right-side

Try this after clicking on the ADVANCED SEARCH tool (top right of your screen):
    1) Select the SEARCH SINGLE CONTENT TYPE tab.
    2) In the SEARCH FOR POSTS type in CATE&ROB in the USER NAME: box.
    3) Now in the ADDITIONAL OPTIONS sections click AXLES, BRAKES, AND SUSPENSION in the SEARCH IN FORUM(S): list.
    4) Click SEARCH NOW and you'll get a list of related threads I'm sure you'll find interesting.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh I’m surprised it’s that far off. I’ve got a 2018 28bh as well, and one of the things I liked about the floor plan was it has the fridge on an opposite side from all of the counter space and cabinet storage. That combined with the rear storage being centered help keep it balanced left to right in my experience. Also I’ve never checked, but I’d hope with a gvwr of almost 11k that we should have bigger axles than 3,500 pounds. I know some of th gvwr is carried by the pin, but not 4,000 pounds. What am I missing here?
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My weight sheet from GD has the slide-side up by ~370 lbs. The axles are rated for 5200# each but I think the OP was referring to the spring-pack capacities (2 per axle).
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 10-29-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Looked at weight sheet again
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    My weight sheet from GD has the slide-side up by ~500 lbs.
    I’d believe that, but once you load it I’d think it would even out since thes no storage on that side except the pass through.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    I’d believe that, but once you load it I’d think it would even out since thes no storage on that side except the pass through.
    I revised my post a touch (370 lbs was the actual). I think you can definitely help this by loading heavier stuff on the opposite side of the pass-through and by keeping the amount of stuff in the bed/bath slide and under the dinette reasonable. I don’t have side-to-side weights now that I’m loaded up. Maybe someday.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I revised my post a touch (370 lbs was the actual). I think you can definitely help this by loading heavier stuff on the opposite side of the pass-through and by keeping the amount of stuff in the bed/bath slide and under the dinette reasonable. I don’t have side-to-side weights now that I’m loaded up. Maybe someday.
    Yeah I wanted to weigh mine side to side at the rally but didn’t get it done.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    Huh I’m surprised it’s that far off. I’ve got a 2018 28bh as well, and one of the things I liked about the floor plan was it has the fridge on an opposite side from all of the counter space and cabinet storage. That combined with the rear storage being centered help keep it balanced left to right in my experience. Also I’ve never checked, but I’d hope with a gvwr of almost 11k that we should have bigger axles than 3,500 pounds. I know some of th gvwr is carried by the pin, but not 4,000 pounds. What am I missing here?
    I think I may have mislead on the model I have. It's the 2800BH which is the bumper tow model as mine has the refrigerator on the same side as the counters, stove, cabinets, water heater, forced air heater, and rear storage. The only thing on the left is the slide.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast