User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    You say GD fixed your axle issues. Did you take it to GD repair facility or did the dealer fix the problem. What was the problem with the axles. Did they replace the axles or do some kind of a fix. If it was done by the dealer I would look for a shop that does alignments on large trailers and have them check the alignment.

Hi Marcy & Gary,

We had a bent axel. Not sure where it happened or how, could have even been delivered like that. Regardless, GD paid for it to be bent back into the correct position then it was realigned. That was done then we had 2 more blow outs on 2 different axels and two different sides. We took it to a GD approved dealership/repair facility in Idaho as we were traveling. We originally bought it in FL.
    Liz & Dennis
    Eat See RV
    2017 Momentum 328M

Instagram 📸 http://www.instagram.com/eatseerv
    Facebook👍 http://www.facebook.com/eatseerv
    Youtube 📹 http://www.youtube.com/eatseerv

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Eat.See.RV--did you happen to see the "Why RV Tires Fail" thread? https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ght=Tires+Fail

The author of the article linked in that thread states that other than road hazards, RV tire failures are due to one of three factors: load, speed or temperature (or a combination of all three). I learned a lot by reading it. Given your situation it seems like a resource you'll find informative, too.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just trying to help here. You say you had it weighted and were 2,500 lbs under the GVRW. Question - what was the weight on just the axles hooked up. With that weight you can approximate the weight on the tires, but weighing each wheel is even better. On my old unit I had a similar issue and when weighed I was below GVW, but the rear axle was overloaded (towing nose high). Axles were maxed out even if level so I too upgraded axles and raised the unit to tow level. The best in your search for a solution.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to simplify stuff because this is not rocket science.

1. Take the coach to a dealer and have alignment checked
    2. Pull all of the junk tires off and replace with Sailuns or Goodyears - in other words, good tires and make sure they are G rated, but make sure the rims/stems are rated for high pressure
    3. Make sure the tires are balanced
    4. Inflate only to recommended pressures (I -prefer to always run to maximum pressure)
    5. Weigh the coach and insure you are within spec
    6. Get a TPMS so you can actually know what’s happening back there
    7. Enjoy the ride

None of this is magic. And, by the way, most tire failures due to road hazards on tubeless tires don’t “blow” - it is unusual for that to happen. I have NEVER had a tubeless tire “blow” - I’ve had them go flat, but not “blow” (I have been driving for 54 years and have had more cars, motorcycles, trucks and RV’s than I can keep track of). A blown tire usuallly happens when there is a catastrophic failure of the sidewall or the tread, which means when tires do this it’s generally not a nail in the road.

Probably the most over-analyzed topic on any RV forum is tire failures and yet there really isn’t anything new under the sun to discuss. Buy quality tires, maintain them and follow the specs as set out by the engineers - you can’t go wrong.

Time to take my ball and go home.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat.See.RV. View Post
    At this point we are not willing to spend $5,000 on upgrading our suspension. ...and we especially don't want to keep throwing money into it when it doesn't hold value. ...The other thing is every tire on every axle is blowing, not just 1 like in your circumstance. If we find the problem we'll let you all know. We are taking it back to the dealership to get looked at. Thank you all for the suggestions.
    I really understand your frustration with this, I also agree that your problem is not the same as mine. My suggestions where intended to get the grey matter engaged to offer some things to think about.

I don't have a real good track record with dealers and axle/tire blow out problems. I have talked with a very few who really know about the problem, I have talked with many more that simply want to chalk the problem up to user error. You ran over a curb, you are overloaded, you are not running the correct tire pressure, blah blah blah, not addressing the real problem just going with statistics.

If you can get an individual wheel weight it goes a long way to opening meaningful conversations. The ones that look at it and say "so what" and the one that look at it and say "aha!".

Keep at it, when you get it dialed in it will be wonderful. Just did a 300 mile weekend with the grandkids with no issues at all, feels good.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12