Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Persistent Tire Blow Outs Momentum 328M

Hi Everyone,

We just had our 6th tire blow out on the road. We realized early after our first Westlake blowout, that many GD owners replaced their Westlake's because they were having issues.
    We haven't driven 20,000 miles total and have had 6 tire blow outs. This seems excessive and we feel there may be an underlying issue at hand causing this? Do any other Momentum owners have this issue? We now have a mixture of tires, mainly because we're on the road when they blowout and each tire shop we go to often has a different brand of tires. We take what we can get! We have Vanguards and Carlisles. Just three days ago, we had a Vanguard blow.

We did have previous axel issue, but GD fixed that for us recently. So ideally, we shouldn't be having any more tire issues *4 of the blowouts were BEFORE the axel issue was addressed*. However, we just drove 600 miles since we got the axel fixed and have had 2 more blow outs! The tires don't have more than 5,000 - 7,000 miles on them before they blow. We're really here asking potential causes, and seeing if anyone else has had the same experience?

Just to clarify...
    - We check tire pressures each time before we move
    - We aren't overloaded, we are about 2,000 lbs under GVRW
    - We don't drive with water, and we empty our tanks to lighten our load
    - We drive 60 mph or under on the highway
    - They are not original Westlake tires anymore, all tires are 10 ply (we don't want to go higher because each blow out it wrecks our RV and J-wrap, if we increase ply, we increase damage if they blow).

Thank you for helping us with this!
    Liz & Dennis
    Eat See RV
    2017 Momentum 328M

Instagram 📸 http://www.instagram.com/eatseerv
    Facebook👍 http://www.facebook.com/eatseerv
    Youtube 📹 http://www.youtube.com/eatseerv

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat.See.RV. View Post
    Hi Everyone,

We just had our 6th tire blow out on the road. We realized early after our first Westlake blowout, that many GD owners replaced their Westlake's because they were having issues.
    We haven't driven 20,000 miles total and have had 6 tire blow outs. This seems excessive and we feel there may be an underlying issue at hand causing this? Do any other Momentum owners have this issue? We now have a mixture of tires, mainly because we're on the road when they blowout and each tire shop we go to often has a different brand of tires. We take what we can get! We have Vanguards and Carlisles. Just three days ago, we had a Vanguard blow.

We did have previous axel issue, but GD fixed that for us recently. So ideally, we shouldn't be having any more tire issues *4 of the blowouts were BEFORE the axel issue was addressed*. However, we just drove 600 miles since we got the axel fixed and have had 2 more blow outs! The tires don't have more than 5,000 - 7,000 miles on them before they blow. We're really here asking potential causes, and seeing if anyone else has had the same experience?

Just to clarify...
    - We check tire pressures each time before we move
    - We aren't overloaded, we are about 2,000 lbs under GVRW
    - We don't drive with water, and we empty our tanks to lighten our load
    - We drive 60 mph or under on the highway
    - They are not original Westlake tires anymore, all tires are 10 ply (we don't want to go higher because each blow out it wrecks our RV and J-wrap, if we increase ply, we increase damage if they blow).

Thank you for helping us with this!
    Wow. That's a lot of tire failures. But first--welcome to the forum.

Forgive all the questions I'm about to ask--you did a great job providing information in your post--but a little bit more info may help to narrow down the cause.

1) Can you definitively attribute any of the tire failures to road hazards?
    2) Can you describe the failure mode? In other words, did the tread separate ("peel off") the inner core, did the tires just go flat, or did the tires appear to detonate and shred itself to pieces?
    3) Did you see any sign of wear on the tire?
    4) I assume you do not have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on your Momentum? (That's probably the first thing I'd do if I was you--I'd be watching the tire pressures and temperatures almost constantly given your string of failures.)
    5) Were the blowouts all on the same axle or wheel location? Can you remember each failure location (which axle/wheel)?

Any further clarification will help the forum members help you.

Again, welcome!

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard!

Thank you for the quick reply and detailed questions.

1) Can you definitively attribute any of the tire failures to road hazards? - None have been attributed to road hazards (to our knowledge), it always happens on smooth highways. We've never found anything in the tires either (like a nail, screw, etc).

2) Can you describe the failure mode? In other words, did the tread separate ("peel off") the inner core, did the tires just go flat, or did the tires appear to detonate and shred itself to pieces? - Yes in all instances but 1, the tire "exploded" and shredded to pieces. Never has it just been a flat. One time we noticed a bubble on the side wall and replaced it before it blew. Another time we noticed the bubble in the sidewall, but there was no tire place nearby, we drove it, and not even 50 minutes later, it blew.. So out of the 6 times, 4 were just blown and shredded, 2 had previous indicators.

3) Did you see any sign of wear on the tire? - I think I answered this above, but let me know if you need further clarification.

4) I assume you do not have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on your Momentum? (That's probably the first thing I'd do if I was you--I'd be watching the tire pressures and temperatures almost constantly given your string of failures.) - You're correct, no TPMS. We do realize it'd be helpful, but we're incurring a lot of expenses with each blow out, at this point and not sure it's in our budget at this time.

5) Where the blowouts all on the same axle or wheel location? Can you remember each failure location (which axle/wheel)? - We've had blow outs on all 4 tires in all four locations, both front and rear axles. Both of the last two were on the two separate axels, one front left side of RV, the other on the right rear of the RV.
    Liz & Dennis
    Eat See RV
    2017 Momentum 328M

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you don't want to hear this but you should be using G rated ("14 ply") tires. Grand Design now ships Solitudes and Momentums with "G" rated tires rather than "E" rated. There is a reason for this. I would replace all your tires with either Sailun S637 or Goodyear G614. I'd be more concerned about preventing failures rather than worrying about the damage you may get IF a G rated tire fails.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I know you don't want to hear this but you should be using G rated ("14 ply") tires. Grand Design now ships Solitudes and Momentums with "G" rated tires rather than "E" rated. There is a reason for this. I would replace all your tires with either Sailun S637 or Goodyear G614. I'd be more concerned about preventing failures rather than worrying about the damage you may get IF a G rated tire fails.
    ............x2 …………….

Keep in mind that you are probably weight biased to the refer/kitchen side so you may be closer to load limit on tires than you think. When they blow they can cause overloading on others and then you are in a vicious cycle if not replacing them all.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat.See.RV. View Post
    Hi Howard!

Thank you for the quick reply and detailed questions.

1) Can you definitively attribute any of the tire failures to road hazards? - None have been attributed to road hazards (to our knowledge), it always happens on smooth highways. We've never found anything in the tires either (like a nail, screw, etc).

2) Can you describe the failure mode? In other words, did the tread separate ("peel off") the inner core, did the tires just go flat, or did the tires appear to detonate and shred itself to pieces? - Yes in all instances but 1, the tire "exploded" and shredded to pieces. Never has it just been a flat. One time we noticed a bubble on the side wall and replaced it before it blew. Another time we noticed the bubble in the sidewall, but there was no tire place nearby, we drove it, and not even 50 minutes later, it blew.. So out of the 6 times, 4 were just blown and shredded, 2 had previous indicators.

3) Did you see any sign of wear on the tire? - I think I answered this above, but let me know if you need further clarification.

4) I assume you do not have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on your Momentum? (That's probably the first thing I'd do if I was you--I'd be watching the tire pressures and temperatures almost constantly given your string of failures.) - You're correct, no TPMS. We do realize it'd be helpful, but we're incurring a lot of expenses with each blow out, at this point and not sure it's in our budget at this time.

5) Where the blowouts all on the same axle or wheel location? Can you remember each failure location (which axle/wheel)? - We've had blow outs on all 4 tires in all four locations, both front and rear axles. Both of the last two were on the two separate axels, one front left side of RV, the other on the right rear of the RV.
    Based on the information provided, I agree with Brian's assessment in post #4 .

So you can see for yourself, go to Grand Design's parts lookup and use the drop down boxes to configure it for your trailer. Then select the axle subgroup. You'll see the tires listed and eventually you'll end up here: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/35876

I typed in "ST235/85R16 LRG WESTLAKE" into Google and looked at the description on etrailer.com's website: https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...e/LHWL410.html The tire GD recommends is indeed a G rated tire. (Not that I doubted Brian, but I like to see for myself!)

The Goodyears (or Sailuns) are pricey...sorry to be the bearer of bad news. They will blow a Howitzer-sized hole in your budget. But once you've got them you should be fine. (Might want to consider road hazard insurance! At WalMart it's only $10/tire if I remember correctly.)

The only other advice I can think of is to get the rig's alignment checked, but if you're not seeing abnormal signs of wear (due to cupping, or toe-in, etc) then you might waste a bunch of money. I'd expect when the axle repair was done the alignment was checked, so I think you're going to find the answer is...getting good, G-range tires.

Of course I may be missing something--there's way smarter individuals on this subject than me on this forum.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 100% agree with Brian (post #4 above). A 10 ply tire is a load range "E" tire. Grand Design has switched load range "G" (14 ply) tires on all Momentum and Solitude trailers. I believe the charge came sometime in 2017.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say GD fixed your axle issues. Did you take it to GD repair facility or did the dealer fix the problem. What was the problem with the axles. Did they replace the axles or do some kind of a fix. If it was done by the dealer I would look for a shop that does alignments on large trailers and have them check the alignment.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I so feel your pain. On our Cedar Creek we had a similar issue, 5 blow outs. I changed axles, I upgraded tires, I watch the TPMS like a hawk, bang, there goes another tire. LCI was stumped, my dealer was stumped, the local trailer shop was stumped, noboby could find a reason that my right front tire would blow aroud 1000 miles. (only 250 miles on the Carlisle tires, aka westlakes)

I hit a pothole in Oklahoma and bent a spindle. Had to take it someplace to get it fixed. I also got each individual wheel weighed at Escapees in Leavenworth, TX. I found my problem wheel was carrying about 500 pounds more than the other three. Nobody could tell me why. When I went to get the bent spindle fixed I got lucky and was talking with SouthWest Wheel in San Antonio, TX. They build trailers. I spent six grand upgrading from 7k axles to 8k axles with appropriate hubs and springs. Then went further to change to 17.5 H rated tires and added disk brakes. It was pricey, but that ended my blowout problems.

All this to say, you have an underlying weight issue no one has been able to identify yet. If you can, get each wheel weighed. This will give you a true picture of the issue. Also, there are a lot of folks that have fixed "normal" problems and they all have a solution that won't work. You need to find someone who really knows trailers, axles, etc to find the issue. Normal dealer techs don't have that much knowledge. I would touch base with the MorRyde folks in Indiana, they know rv's axles, weights, etc. Just talking with them you will learn a bunch. I would have purchased their system if I wasn't already broken down in Texas, but since I was, I made the best of what was available. Call Jason Counts at Southwest Wheel in San Antonio, he knows stuff.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    All this to say, you have an underlying weight issue no one has been able to identify yet. If you can, get each wheel weighed. This will give you a true picture of the issue. Also, there are a lot of folks that have fixed "normal" problems and they all have a solution that won't work. You need to find someone who really knows trailers, axles, etc to find the issue. Normal dealer techs don't have that much knowledge. I would touch base with the MorRyde folks in Indiana, they know rv's axles, weights, etc. Just talking with them you will learn a bunch. I would have purchased their system if I wasn't already broken down in Texas, but since I was, I made the best of what was available. Call Jason Counts at Southwest Wheel in San Antonio, he knows stuff.
    Thank you for the recommendation on the trailer and axel repair mechanic! At this point we are not willing to spend $5,000 on upgrading our suspension. We've spent quiet a lot on the tires, and other issues we've had with our Momentum thus far and we especially don't want to keep throwing money into it when it doesn't hold value. I have trouble believing it's a weight problem. We don't have a lot on the RV, and have even gotten rid of more stuff when we initially thought it might be weight problem. When we got weighed at a CAT scale, we were 2,500 lbs under the GVRW. We definitely haven't added any more to the trailer since then. The other thing is every tire on every axle is blowing, not just 1 like in your circumstance. If we find the problem we'll let you all know. We are taking it back to the dealership to get looked at. Thank you all for the suggestions.
    Liz & Dennis
    Eat See RV
    2017 Momentum 328M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast