User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watersports - Windsurfing and Kiteboarding

I wonder how many participate in these pastimes and also post on this forum. These are activities you can't do everywhere. I've been chasing the wind as a windsurfer for 40 years. Many of my trips were stag with fellow windsurfing buddies. Dave M - are you reading this? Many of my trips involved my family and our RV. Many of them involved many families with RVs. Many were to lakes in CO, WY and NE. Many were to the south TX coast. A couple were to the Columbia River Gorge and the OR coast.
    Anyway - at 67, I'm grateful I can still windsurf and have recently added kiteboarding to my watersport interests. Kiteboarding equipment packs into a much smaller space and can be done in lighter winds. I plan to head toward the south TX coast again this spring - maybe Port A, Corpus Christi or SPI.
    So - are there any others? I'd like to form a group and discuss locations and RV parks you like and maybe we'll see you there.
    BTW, my wife can windsurf a little bit, but isn't a big fan. We also like to golf together.
    STAY ACTIVE!!
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't windsurf, but spend as much time as possible at the Padre Island National Seashore and they say the bay side of the island is some of the best wind/kite surfing in the country. Let us know if you have any questions about the place. This year they changed the maximum days in the park from 56 to 14 so there should be less competition for sites from the snowbirds. The Bird Island campsite - where everyone windsurfs - backs right up to the bay.

Mustang Island SP is just up the coast, but hasn't recovered from Harvey a year ago and is not open for overnight camping, yet. I understand Goose Island SP at Rockport is open, though. And while we haven't been there, yet, Magnolia Beech at Port O'Connor is on the bay and has lots of boondock sites.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    We don't windsurf, but spend as much time as possible at the Padre Island National Seashore and they say the bay side of the island is some of the best wind/kite surfing in the country. Let us know if you have any questions about the place. This year they changed the maximum days in the park from 56 to 14 so there should be less competition for sites from the snowbirds. The Bird Island campsite - where everyone windsurfs - backs right up to the bay.

Mustang Island SP is just up the coast, but hasn't recovered from Harvey a year ago and is not open for overnight camping, yet. I understand Goose Island SP at Rockport is open, though. And while we haven't been there, yet, Magnolia Beech at Port O'Connor is on the bay and has lots of boondock sites.
    Thanks. I have windsurfed at Bird Island - probably 25 years ago. It was a day trip. I don't remember if there was camping or what it was like. Is BI where they put they put the 14 day limit? We also used to drive south of Bird Island and onto the beach on the gulf side. I guess that's Padre Island National Seashore - right? We drove a 28 ft motorhome down the beach a mile or so without worry of getting stuck. Do you think we could drive our 5-er just as easily today? I wouldn't mind boondocking on the beach a few days. We'd use solar to recharge our batteries. I could probably windsurf and kiteboard off the beach there.

Do you know if Port Aransas was damaged by Harvey?
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    Thanks. I have windsurfed at Bird Island - probably 25 years ago. It was a day trip. I don't remember if there was camping or what it was like. Is BI where they put they put the 14 day limit? We also used to drive south of Bird Island and onto the beach on the gulf side. I guess that's Padre Island National Seashore - right? We drove a 28 ft motorhome down the beach a mile or so without worry of getting stuck. Do you think we could drive our 5-er just as easily today? I wouldn't mind boondocking on the beach a few days. We'd use solar to recharge our batteries. I could probably windsurf and kiteboard off the beach there.

Do you know if Port Aransas was damaged by Harvey?
    There's about 50 RV spaces on the gulf side - no hookups, but cold showers and flush toilets. There's also a dump station and water point. BI is on the bay side and isn't really developed, just back up to the water. If I was in to windsurfing or kyacking, I would think that BI would be the place to be - park right on the water.

If you follow the road past the visitor center it runs on to the beach. The first five miles are sort of maintained, but it is possible to get stuck. No problem if you're careful. Lots of big TT and fivers down there, though, so shouldn't be a problem. We used to camp on the beach 30 years ago and it was great. Now there is so much traffic between the surf and the dunes that it is kind of a pain. You also have to beware of ultra high tides. A couple of years ago, we got there to late for a space in the campground so went down on the beach and camped as close to the dunes as possible. Next morning found the surf lapping at our wheels. It was noon before the tide went out and we could get turned around.

Get there early in the day, especially Sunday or Monday, and there won't be any problem getting in the campground or BI (neither take reservations). With the new stay limits I expect it will be much better this year. The ranger told us that people were taking advantage and staying in the campground all winter so they are going to police it better this year. They also raised the price from $8/night to $14 (1/2 off with a Sr. pass).

I've never seen anyone windsurfing on the gulf side, but the bay side is full of them. We usually stay at NAS CC and there is lots of kite surfing on the bay if you have military access or some other place to launch.

There's also Bob Hall Pier, Mustang Island SP and Port A just north of PINS. Port A allows RV parking on the beach with a permit. Port A and Rockport got clobbered by Harvey and were really torn up, but they say it is on the way back and they want visitors.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's about 50 RV spaces on the gulf side - no hookups, but cold showers and flush toilets. There's also a dump station and water point. BI is on the bay side and isn't really developed, just back up to the water. If I was in to windsurfing or kyacking, I would think that BI would be the place to be - park right on the water.

If you follow the road past the visitor center it runs on to the beach. The first five miles are sort of maintained, but it is possible to get stuck. No problem if you're careful. Lots of big TT and fivers down there, though, so shouldn't be a problem. We used to camp on the beach 30 years ago and it was great. Now there is so much traffic between the surf and the dunes that it is kind of a pain. You also have to beware of ultra high tides. A couple of years ago, we got there to late for a space in the campground so went down on the beach and camped as close to the dunes as possible. Next morning found the surf lapping at our wheels. It was noon before the tide went out and we could get turned around.

Get there early in the day, especially Sunday or Monday, and there won't be any problem getting in the campground or BI (neither take reservations). With the new stay limits I expect it will be much better this year. The ranger told us that people were taking advantage and staying in the campground all winter so they are going to police it better this year. They also raised the price from $8/night to $14 (1/2 off with a Sr. pass).

I've never seen anyone windsurfing on the gulf side, but the bay side is full of them. We usually stay at NAS CC and there is lots of kite surfing on the bay if you have military access or some other place to launch.

There's also Bob Hall Pier, Mustang Island SP and Port A just north of PINS. Port A allows RV parking on the beach with a permit. Port A and Rockport got clobbered by Harvey and were really torn up, but they say it is on the way back and they want visitors.
    I think I know where that RV park is - just before you're dumped onto the beach.

I've windsurfed on the gulf side. Lots of big round brain-size jelly-fish were out there at the time. We were slicing them up.

Also I wasn't aware of beach boondocking north of Corpus. I've never seen it. I'll have to check that out.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We usually stay at NAS CC.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

What do you know about the MWR Guest Card. It looks like almost anyone can get one for $30/year and that will get you into the RV park. Is that right? Do you run across folks at the park because they have a card? Are they welcome or frowned upon? It must be a decent park if it's your park of choice down there.

BTW, I'm not military, although my dad was Navy.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

What do you know about the MWR Guest Card. It looks like almost anyone can get one for $30/year and that will get you into the RV park. Is that right? Do you run across folks at the park because they have a card? Are they welcome or frowned upon? It must be a decent park if it's your park of choice down there.

BTW, I'm not military, although my dad was Navy.
    Thank you.

I don't know what to tell you about the guest card as I've wondered myself. The RV park seems to encourage long term stays as it is a more reliable revenue flow for them. They seem to keep a certain number of spaces open for short termers, but about 70% of the residents stay for months and I'm sure this helps their cash flow during the hottest summer months when no one but the long term residents are there.

The catch may be base access if that doesn't automatically come with the guest card. The base is also home to the Corpus Christi Army Depot which is the largest employer in South Texas so there are a lot of folks with base access who wouldn't otherwise have access to the MWR facilities.

I'd certainly give them a call and make sure you can get on base with just an MWR card.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many participate in these pastimes and also post on this forum. These are activities you can't do everywhere. I've been chasing the wind as a windsurfer for 40 years. Many of my trips were bla, bla, bla...
    I plan to head toward the south TX coast again this spring - maybe Port A, Corpus Christi or SPI.
    So - are there any others? I'd like to form a group and discuss locations and RV parks you like and maybe we'll see you there.
    No other RVers that are also wind fanatics? No one else going to Corpus or SPI for the spring wind? Come on! These are things that will keep you active and young. Come on down. Observe. Take some lessons. You might love it!
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No other RVers that are also wind fanatics? No one else going to Corpus or SPI for the spring wind? Come on! These are things that will keep you active and young. Come on down. Observe. Take some lessons. You might love it!
    Or there's SUPing - Stand Up Paddleboarding. You can throw an inflatable SUP or two in your rig. No wind required. Another activity that's fun and will help keep you active and fit. Easy!
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch