User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha. Yes. Kilometers and the way we spell certain words will give us away. Hello fellow Canuk. I appreciate the "customized" answer. Thanks Rob. Makes sense to me. I am assuming I can use the same grease that I use for my wheels bearings - correct?
    Last edited by macroman; 12-08-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    "Every Day Is A Good Day"

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2017 Nissan NV3500 Van 5.6L V8 and decked out to tow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macroman View Post
    I am assuming I can use the same grease that I use for my wheels bearings - correct?
    That's what I use . . . bearing grease is probably better quality grease that what is actually required, but has always worked well for me.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect - Thanks very much Rob.
    "Every Day Is A Good Day"

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2017 Nissan NV3500 Van 5.6L V8 and decked out to tow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macroman View Post
    Come spring, I will be replacing my current factory equalizer/shackles bolts etc. with a setup that includes wet bolts. How often do you grease these bolts? How much grease are you pushing in when you do lube?
    I do mine every 5,000 miles - that's about 3 - 4 times annually for me. If you don't travel very much, i'd hit them at least once per year.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine the other day. Had trouble with 3 of them taking grease. Jacked up the trailer and all but one took grease. Can't get the last one to take grease. It is on the curb side equalizer zerk and doesn't matter what I did it would not take grease.

Can you just loosen the wet bolt and rotate to align the holes. Not sure what the best way forward is at this time. I know I am taking the trailer to the dealer on Jan 28th for some warranty work. Maybe best to have them fix it as cold weather is here now.
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I did mine the other day. Had trouble with 3 of them taking grease. Jacked up the trailer and all but one took grease. Can't get the last one to take grease. It is on the curb side equalizer zerk and doesn't matter what I did it would not take grease.

Can you just loosen the wet bolt and rotate to align the holes. Not sure what the best way forward is at this time. I know I am taking the trailer to the dealer on Jan 28th for some warranty work. Maybe best to have them fix it as cold weather is here now.
    Rob
    You can't just rotate the bolt. There are splines near the head of the bolt. To rotate the bolt, you'll have to remove it far enough to clear the splines. Even then, you won't know where the grease hole is unless you remove the bolt far enough to inspect it. The grease outlet is about half way down the bolt shaft. Here's a picture:

Jim

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    You can't just rotate the bolt. There are splines near the head of the bolt. To rotate the bolt, you'll have to remove it far enough to clear the splines. Even then, you won't know where the grease hole is unless you remove the bolt far enough to inspect it. The grease outlet is about half way down the bolt shaft. Here's a picture:

Jim
    Thanks Jim. This makes it more difficult. Sounds like a warranty fix to me. Just one more to add to the list.

Thanks again,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a couple of wet bolts not taking grease. If I back the bolt out far enough to see the hole, how difficult is it to get back in the other side? Even though the tire has no weight on it, I would think the spring would have some tension on it. Or just back it out till spines show, then turn to 3 or 9 and go back in and call it good?
    Also, do I need to torque the nut when I go back together? Or, since the bolt has a shoulder, then all I can get is enough...

Eddie
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind you’ll need to replace the nut. They are one time use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12