User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys! It sounds like most folks would choose Sailun S637 over the Goodyear G614. That surprises me. Why would you guys prefer the Sailun if the price was the same?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen dozens and dozens of Westlake tire failures over the last 4 years, and consider them to be of very low quality. I replaced mine on Day One with Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tires purchased at Costco for about $200 each. You wouldn't believe the difference in quality vs. Westlakes. Tread is so much thicker and stiffer, the sidewalls are thick and strong and they weighed something like 14 pounds more per tires.

I have never heard a bad word about the Sailun G rated tires. You might want to check other online tire stores as I thought they were budget priced around $150-160 per tire. The downside is that there are very few dealers on the road carrying Sailuns.

The G614 Goodyears are the standard of the industry, and they're priced that way too. I finally heard of one disintegrating on a RV this week--my first. They're great.

I really like my Duravis R250's, and the Costco tire manager said they've had zero comebacks with them on F450 and F550's being run by utility companies with crane bodies, etc. They are a mid price compromise. Michelin also has a comparable ribbed industrial type tire that's slightly more expensive than my Bridgestones but equal in quality.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, the Michelin rib, Duravis R250 and Westlakes with multiple reports of failures are all E rated tires. I'm only considering G rated tires for my new (heavy) Solitude.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I have seen dozens and dozens of Westlake tire failures over the last 4 years, and consider them to be of very low quality. I replaced mine on Day One with Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tires purchased at Costco for about $200 each. You wouldn't believe the difference in quality vs. Westlakes. Tread is so much thicker and stiffer, the sidewalls are thick and strong and they weighed something like 14 pounds more per tires.

I have never heard a bad word about the Sailun G rated tires. You might want to check other online tire stores as I thought they were budget priced around $150-160 per tire. The downside is that there are very few dealers on the road carrying Sailuns.

The G614 Goodyears are the standard of the industry, and they're priced that way too. I finally heard of one disintegrating on a RV this week--my first. They're great.

I really like my Duravis R250's, and the Costco tire manager said they've had zero comebacks with them on F450 and F550's being run by utility companies with crane bodies, etc. They are a mid price compromise. Michelin also has a comparable ribbed industrial type tire that's slightly more expensive than my Bridgestones but equal in quality.
    Bama - are you actually seeing them or reading about them and if so where are you reading about seeing dozens and dozens Westlake tire failures ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    I'm not sure the Goodyears have "the best" reputation but they do have a good one. Personally, I think the Sailun's have a great reputation - they are tough, bullet proof tires and have served me well on two coaches over thousands of miles. My personal preference is that I would never use a Towmax or Westlake tire if you gave it to me for free. The Towmax tires were used by Heartland and were, in my opinion, a disaster. The Westlakes - same deal. Just read the reviews here an on other forums. My brand new coach blew a Westlake somewhere during the 500 mile trip from the factory to the dealer and caused some damage - I don't need any further proof. I refused to take delivery until the Westlakes were replaced by Sailuns.

Since you asked, I'd opt for the Sailuns or Goodyears.
    X2^^. Our Sailuns have given us thousands of miles of trouble-free service (still using a TPMS, of course). I'm extremely pleased with them. That's after loosing two Westlake tires to 1) a piece of road debris, and 2) abnormal wear due to a bent axle/spindle.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodyear Endurance - MADE IN USA (at least mine are)
    Sailuns - MADE IN CHINA (and I believe they are ALL made in China)

I'll go with USA made tires every single time.

I would run the Westlakes for two years and then replace. This is just based on my personal experience with them. I couldn't get 3 years of service and was just blessed to catch a tread separation before it tore up my trailer.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Brian has mentioned a couple of times, we are mixing up anecdotal comments on E and G tires. These are differently constructed tires for every manufacturer and may not even come off the same assembly line, or from the same manufacturing facility.

I think there is general agreement that Westlake Es were undersized for the big Solitudes and Momentums and reportedly GDRV has gone to Gs for these models.

My personal experience is that Westlake Es were fine for three years and 12,000 miles on my 10,000 lb Reflection 303RLS . . . but others (maybe those who travel in the hot SW?) have not had this experience. In any case . . . I don't think comments relative to history or fears with Es will help Brian with his decision.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    As Brian has mentioned a couple of times, we are mixing up anecdotal comments on E and G tires. These are differently constructed tires for every manufacturer and may not even come off the same assembly line, or from the same manufacturing facility.

I think there is general agreement that Westlake Es were undersized for the big Solitudes and Momentums and reportedly GDRV has gone to Gs for these models.

My personal experience is that Westlake Es were fine for three years and 12,000 miles on my 10,000 lb Reflection 303RLS . . . but others (maybe those who travel in the hot SW?) have not had this experience. In any case . . . I don't think comments relative to history or fears with Es will help Brian with his decision.

Rob
    Well said, Rob. Things seem to be getting off track and covering old ground, once again. Imagine that with a tires thread which (and I know this comes as a shock !) generate a more passionate, often less factual, and spirited dialogue.

Where's Jack Webb when we need him ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so should I start a thread on what's the best oil to use? (kidding kidding)
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clarification Rob. Yes, I'm only interested in G rated tires due to the weight of the Solitude. I wish the RV community had more experience with the Westlake G tires. They could be great tires. Who knows? I also wish I could see a cross section of all three so I could compare construction. I have heard (it seems all tire discussions are hearsay) that the S637's are a clone of the G614 as far as the construction is concerned. If that's true, why is the load index rating so much higher on the Sailun (4,409lbs vs 3,748lbs)?

The one good bit of information I learned recently is Les Schwab tire stores sells Sailun tires. Les Schwab is a big tire dealer out west. One of the big concerns with some folks about the Sailun tires is getting replacements while on the road. This is no longer a problem out west since Les Schwab sells them.

Here's where I'm at right now-
    If the Goodyear G614 had the same load index rating as the S637, I would choose them for two reasons:

1- Made in the USA. I always prefer buying products made in the USA. Not because foreign made products are necessarily junk but because I want to support US workers and businesses first.
    2- Goodyear has an excellent warranty in the event of damage to the RV due to a tire failure.

I need to resolve this massive load index disparity before I can make my final decision.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast