User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Replacing WFCO Converter?

If you’re getting solar and lithium down the road, then you’re going to want a good inverter as well, one capable of running everything in you trailer and able to charge lithium.
    When and if you do this, you’re going to either buy an all-in-one unit and bypass that Progressive Dynamics unit altogether,
    or you can buy just an inverter. But most quality inverters come with a charger built-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-25-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to ask a question related to this.

My converter just blew out in my 2670MK. I just ordered the exact same 9855 as I had. Would I be better off getting something else that is better before I install this one? And, what the process of replacing these things? Just pull the old one out, and hook the new one up, or is there other complicated things to worry about?
    Last edited by EddieK82; 06-01-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    And, what the process of replacing these things? Just pull the old one out, and hook the new one up, or is there other complicated things to worry about?
    The converter has a 120V power cord that plugs into a single outlet on the back of the AC-DC panel. Unplug it from that outlet.
    Take a photo of the DC wires before you remove them to keep Positive, Negative correct as the colors are probably White, Black instead of Red, Black like on a car battery.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My converter just blew out in my 2670MK. I just ordered the exact same 9855 as I had. Would I be better off getting something else that is better before I install this one? And, what the process of replacing these things? Just pull the old one out, and hook the new one up, or is there other complicated things to worry about?
    Original WFCO converters in your 2670MK are normally reliable unless they’re exposed to wrong voltage.

Progressive Dynamic replacement converters cost 2x as much.

Spend the money you save and buy an EMS. That device will protect your trailer from bad connection, over voltage, under voltage, open neutral, open ground and spikes. Here’s the portable version. You just plug it into the pedestal at the campground and plug your plug from your trailer into the EMS. Before it passes power to your trailer it verifies the source is correct. If it’s incorrect it will give you an error code and not pass power to your trailer. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-S...dp/B01N0W4CZ8/

If voltage goes out of range it will disconnect your trailer from the power. It will also act as as urge protector.

If you want to get fancy you can buy a hard wired version that’s permanently mounted in your RV. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...dp/B0050EGS5W/
    Last edited by Jerryr; 06-01-2020 at 07:42 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    The converter has a 120V power cord that plugs into a single outlet on the back of the AC-DC panel. Unplug it from that outlet.
    Take a photo of the DC wires before you remove them to keep Positive, Negative correct as the colors are probably White, Black instead of Red, Black like on a car battery.
    To the OP
    Edit: oops, maybe that wasn't the OP who asked this question

And after taking the pic Gene recommends... Either disconnect the cables at the battery first or be dang sure you don't let these two wires short out against each other as you disconnect and then reconnect on your new charger/converter.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just a note, flooded lead acid batteries will always take forever charge. No way around that. More/bigger converters wont change the fact that there is just a physics limit to how quickly that chemistry can absorb charge. This is one of the MANY benefits of lithium batteries, they will literally charge as fast as you can throw juice at them.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boondockers are what I use in both my RV's. After the WFCO junk ruined my batts in the 29rs I changed both
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Replacing WFCO Converter?

WFCO is junk that will eventually cook your lead acids to death. Opt for either a Progressive Industries brand or the Boondocker brand.
    Also get one with the highest amp rating on the charger side if you have more than one battery as the output is divided into equally across each battery. So a 40 amp charger is only putting 10 amps in each battery if you have four batteries.
    This one reason I run a 125 amp charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvenard View Post
    We do a lot of BoonDocking and I am noticing that it takes FOREVER, for my generator to charge my dual 6v Trojan Batteries. My batteries require 14.4v to get 100% charge.

Has anyone updated the stock converter with one of the NEW converters that will charge at 14.4V.
    On my last trailer with a WFCO converter (that i had warranted out twice) once i switched from a 12v deep cycle to 6v golf cart batteries my WFCO could never get them charged correctly as Trojan wants 14.82V bulk and a 16.2V equalize where the WFCO only charges to 14.4V and has no equalization. The batteries were never getting fully charged. Once i switched to a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage unit and could better control the charge profile the issue went away. On my current Reflection i added solar and a Victron charge controller that i could fully dial in to fully charge my batteries and have never looked back. Next up is Lithium. IMHO ditch the WFCO.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Original WFCO converters in your 2670MK are normally reliable unless they’re exposed to wrong voltage.

Progressive Dynamic replacement converters cost 2x as much.

Spend the money you save and buy an EMS. That device will protect your trailer from bad connection, over voltage, under voltage, open neutral, open ground and spikes. Here’s the portable version. You just plug it into the pedestal at the campground and plug your plug from your trailer into the EMS. Before it passes power to your trailer it verifies the source is correct. If it’s incorrect it will give you an error code and not pass power to your trailer. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-S...dp/B01N0W4CZ8/

If voltage goes out of range it will disconnect your trailer from the power. It will also act as an urge protector.

If you want to get fancy you can buy a hard wired version that’s permanently mounted in your RV. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...dp/B0050EGS5W/
    Oh Boy. Where can I buy one of those? I've needed an "urge" protector my whole life!
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast