Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non toy hauler golf cart transport

I may have been dreaming but I could have sworn I saw a guy who had a golf cart on the back of his fith wheel. What do you guys do if you have a golf cart when you have a fith wheel without a toy hauler ( mostly sure it’s not possible legally)? I know you can in some states pull a trailer behind a trailer but this was a mobility lift style. Most hitches only support 300 lbs of tongue weight. A golf cart is upwards 1000lbs with batteries... Any help in this is appreciated!
    Last edited by Grand Floridians; 11-06-2018 at 04:45 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Floridians View Post
    I may have been dreaming but I could have sworn I saw a guy who had a golf cart on the back of his fith wheel. What do you guys do if you have a golf cart when you have a fith wheel to bring it with you without a toy hauler ( mostly sure it’s not possible legally)? I know you can in some states pull a trailer behind a trailer but this was la mobility lift style(Most hitches only support 300 lbs of tonge weight.) a golf cart is upwards 1000lbs with batteries... Any help in this is appreciated!
    Your tow vehicle needs to look something like this (I said, tongue-in-cheek):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TV.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	16160
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's legal in Texas, as long as the total length is less than 65 feet. Our Reflection 311BHS has the hitch and is wired, but I'm not sure that I would tow my trailered golf cart, except in emergencies. That being said, every time we go to Pioneer RV in Port Aransas or Jellystone RV in Kerrville I see TT and 5th wheels towing their golf carts. I put a hitch on my wife's Honda Pilot and the DW, sister-in-law, daughter and grand girls pull the golf cart. I get to drive by myself in peace and quite (did I really just say that). Means we have an extra car, but sometimes it's worth it when you want to go site seeing or need to run a few errands (Honda gets much better gas mileage than the 3500).
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it’s lega
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    I know it's legal in Texas, as long as the total length is less than 65 feet. Our Reflection 311BHS has the hitch and is wired, but I'm not sure that I would tow my trailered golf cart, except in emergencies. That being said, every time we go to Pioneer RV in Port Aransas or Jellystone RV in Kerrville I see TT and 5th wheels towing their golf carts. I put a hitch on my wife's Honda Pilot and the DW, sister-in-law, daughter and grand girls pull the golf cart. I get to drive by myself in peace and quite (did I really just say that). Means we have an extra car, but sometimes it's worth it when you want to go site seeing or need to run a few errands (Honda gets much better gas mileage than the 3500).
    Actually it’s legal in most states west of the Mississippi except Washington and Oregon. There are length restrictions however.

To answer the OP, you have to remember that the golf cart may weigh 1000 lbs but depending on the trailer it’s on the hitch wt will be much less than that. I tow my 950 lb motorcycle behind my Solitude and the hitch wt is less tan 200 lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use one of these, CruiserLift http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel to bring it along. Was considering going this route before buying my Momentum.
    2019 Momentum 376TH
    2015 Ram Laramie Ltd. CC, LB, DRW (Bertha)
    USN Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into these and you have to check with your state and see if they class it as a trailer or not. My state said if it was bolted to the back of 5er it would not be considered a trailer but an extension. We never purchased but talk to several that have and the only negative comment was the small tires and the fact you need to carry a spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjImiRRqQ0

Also, they make smaller compact golf carts like the one I have and it fits in the back of my jeep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep - 1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	16175

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_4w4-DYu4

It's called the Cricket and weights in at 303 pounds. We have had ours for close to 2 years and love have one with us while we travel.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
    You can use one of these, CruiserLift http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel to bring it along. Was considering going this route before buying my Momentum.
    X2^^. I think this would be the safest way to go. The "hitch receivers" on the back of most GD RVs are intended for bike racks, etc. - not towing anything of significant weight (not to mention the other hassles involved with double-towing).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Grand Floridians--note the requirements (per CruiserLift): Swivelwheel Products are NOT Compatible with Tag Behind Trailers, They are However Compatible with Fifth Wheel Trailers that are 30+FT in Length and have a "Dry" or "Empty" Weight Rating of At least 10,000Lbs.

There are GD 5vrs that do not meet the criteria.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    We had planned to bring a second car as we are out of seats in my truck. I am more then welcoming to a peaceful ride!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post

That must be it! I was a quick glance as he was going to opposite direction I was going. Guy who invested that is pure genius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast