User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Max pressure / pressure increase while driving

The only decent TPMS “I ever see” is several hundred dollars and doesn’t seem worth it since it can’t warn me of any issue I’ve ever heard of. What I mean is all the tire failures I’ve seen happen in an instant, and once they’ve occurred you don’t need a TPMS system to alert you, it’s pretty obvious. I got rid of the Westbombs and installed GY and check our tires with a gauge prior to departure. They’re usually about 75 psi when they’re cold, and warm up to about 80 to 83 psi. Seems like you risk more issues with over inflation, so I leave them at 75 cold, especially since the trailer isn’t maxing out the tires capacity.

Most of the failures I’ve seen appear to be overloaded overweight trailers, like nearly every toy hauler I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave...here are some thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    The only decent TPMS “I ever see” is several hundred dollars and doesn’t seem worth it since it can’t warn me of any issue I’ve ever heard of. What I mean is all the tire failures I’ve seen happen in an instant, and once they’ve occurred you don’t need a TPMS system to alert you, it’s pretty obvious.
    You may have a blow-out that happens instantly but it may have been caused from running on a tire that has low air pressure that you didn't detect. If you had a TPMS you may have been able to detect it early enough to have prevented the blow-out. Without a TPMS you have no clue.

I got rid of the Westbombs and installed GY and check our tires with a gauge prior to departure. They’re usually about 75 psi when they’re cold, and warm up to about 80 to 83 psi. Seems like you risk more issues with over inflation, so I leave them at 75 cold, especially since the trailer isn’t maxing out the tires capacity.

Most of the failures I’ve seen appear to be overloaded overweight trailers, like nearly every toy hauler I see.
    Tires are designed to run at max load at max pressure "cold". They are designed to run with the increased pressure as they warm up. If you are running max load with the tire pressure at max cold pressure when hot, you are running low air pressure. Again.... Just some thoughts.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Ed
    I got my trailer weighed at the Indiana Rally this year and my tire weights where such that they said I could go from 80 psi down to 40 psi for the load I was carrying.
    There is NO way I would do that. I am with you if the tire says 80 psi that is what I run. I do not have tire monitor.

Brian
    Running at 40 psi sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 75 would be the lowest I would go. The weights u had per tire were sitting still. There r many different factors that could increase the load on each tire depending on weight shifting, severe side wind, extreme braking and hitting a bump at that time.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only decent TPMS “I ever see” is several hundred dollars and doesn’t seem worth it since it can’t warn me of any issue I’ve ever heard of. What I mean is all the tire failures I’ve seen happen in an instant, and once they’ve occurred you don’t need a TPMS system to alert you, it’s pretty obvious. I got rid of the Westbombs and installed GY and check our tires with a gauge prior to departure. They’re usually about 75 psi when they’re cold, and warm up to about 80 to 83 psi. Seems like you risk more issues with over inflation, so I leave them at 75 cold, especially since the trailer isn’t maxing out the tires capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of those "overweight overloaded" toyhaulers u talk about have a larger safety margin built into their axles since they r spread over 3 axles. I've weighed mine fully loaded and I know.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Dave...here are some thoughts
    You may have a blow-out that happens instantly but it may have been caused from running on a tire that has low air pressure that you didn't detect.
    If you had a TPMS you may have been able to detect it early enough to have prevented the blow-out. Without a TPMS you have no clue.
    Like I said, I haven't seen any data to support that theory. If you have, please share and I'll be all the wiser.
    All I've seen were blowouts where even people with TPMS had no clues, no warning.
    I've yet to hear one case of a Goodyear giving any signs that a failure was imminent. I guess if you run bald tires they could slowly fail?
    I've seen Westbombs lose their tread for no reason, and TPMS never alerted them to anything being wrong because the tire still held pressure.
    Or they failed instantly and TPMS was useless anyway. The only reason I could see TPMS being useful would be if we drove on really hot days for long trips.
    Then maybe the tires would heat up so much they'd expand and you'd need to air down some.

But we drive an hour or two max and never in high temps. We follow the weather. If it's snowing or 110 degrees, I ain't there.
    And we don't have a massive, heavy trailer.
    So TPMS is a waste of money for me unless I just get too lazy to manually check them each trip, which takes less than 1 minute.

Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Tires are designed to run at max load at max pressure "cold". They are designed to run with the increased pressure as they warm up.
    If you are running max load with the tire pressure at max cold pressure when hot, you are running low air pressure. Again.... Just some thoughts.
    I can see starting at 80 psi cold. Makes sense. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    Most of those "overweight overloaded" toyhaulers u talk about have a larger safety margin
    built into their axles since they r spread over 3 axles. I've weighed mine fully loaded and I know.
    Yea I get that. But I see a lot of people with toy haulers that load based on what "fits" not on what something weighs.
    You see a 30 foot TH and logically picture a small side by side inside, not a V8 powered rock crawler with Dana 60's.
    I don't need to read any stickers in those cases. I can guess what things weigh because I've worked on them myself.
    lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150228_174216.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	16292

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, I haven't seen any data to support that theory. If you have, please share and I'll be all the wiser.
    All I've seen were blowouts where even people with TPMS had no clues, no warning.
    I've yet to hear one case of a Goodyear giving any signs that a failure was imminent. I guess if you run bald tires they could slowly fail?
    I've seen Westbombs lose their tread for no reason, and TPMS never alerted them to anything being wrong because the tire still held pressure.
    Or they failed instantly and TPMS was useless anyway. The only reason I could see TPMS being useful would be if we drove on really hot days for long trips.
    Then maybe the tires would heat up so much they'd expand and you'd need to air down some.

But we drive an hour or two max and never in high temps. We follow the weather. If it's snowing or 110 degrees, I ain't there.
    And we don't have a massive, heavy trailer.
    So TPMS is a waste of money for me unless I just get too lazy to manually check them each trip, which takes less than 1 minute.
    You can check your tires manually and 20 ft down the road run over a nail and ten miles farther have a blow-out and say I know they were up to pressure because I just checked them ten minutes ago. Without have some way to monitor them you have no clue that it was low pressure that caused the failure. There is a lot of data to support the use of a TPMS you just need to look for it. You are not going to find it on a thread discussing how bad Westlake tires are. TPMS will not save you every time but it is more information that could help save you time and money in the future. I always figure the more info I have the better off I am but that's just me. Maybe others would not want to know and just hope nothing goes wrong and if it does just say "them damn tires. I will never run them again"

Here is one account I found in about 10 sec of searching. But over the years I have read a lot of accounts of a TPMS saving someone from a major disaster. On your TV I can kinda understand your feelings about a TPMS because you can usually feel when a tire is running low pressure but on your trailer you can’t.

Here is the article I found but there are many if you want to do some research.

Some people still question the need or value of using a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). Some claim that checking tire temperature with an IR gun or touching with the back of their hand every two to three hours is sufficient. They seem to forget that it is possible to destroy a tire in as little as 10 minutes.
    Others still think they know what an underinflated tire “looks” like, but I have repeatedly demonstrated with hundreds of participants at my RV Tire Knowledge Seminars that no one is able to identify the difference between 35 and 14 psi in a P-type tire, or the difference between 46 and 66 psi in an LT tire. Some folks just don’t feel the cost justifies the value of an advanced warning of an impending tire failure.
    Well, I ran across the following post on an RV forum thread on tire failure on an RV (used with permission of the author):

FYI….Be maniacal about checking tire pressure and invest in a TPMS system if you have not already. This past week, two incidents proved that a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) investment is worth every penny.
    Coming back from a long trip on Memorial Day, my caravan friends, who did not have a TPMS on their 5th wheel toy hauler, lost pressure in a rear tire which became overheated and eventually blew on the interstate. The damage the blown tire caused to their meticulously maintained RV added up to $3000 in body work. I hear this is typical…and often at the low end of cost for damage when a tire blows. My buddy has talked about investing in TPMS…but chose not to spend the $. The insurance deductible alone for the damage was $500. Lesson learned.
    A few days later, I was back on the interstate headed for a camping trip to the lake with my 5th wheel toy hauler. I have invested in a TPMS….and am so glad I did. At 65mph….all of a sudden the display on my TPM system flashed red and displayed that my right rear tire on the trailer was “leaking”. I was impressed that it alerted me when the tire pressure was down by only 2 pounds…and I could see on the display the rate at which it was deflating. This gave me sufficient time to exit the highway, park in a safe place…and not suffer any damage to my RV….let alone save the tire which picked up a screw.
    This device is worth its weight in gold….and I highly recommend it to anyone pulling a trailer of any kind. You will never know you a have a problem until it is too late without it.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Max pressure / pressure increase while driving

Ok boss. I give up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a bit of info I found while looking around. It might be interesting to some.

If you have a tire failure that is not attributable to overload, under-inflation, puncture or road hazard you should file a report here .https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If people do not file a report the DOT has no way of knowing that a tire failed to meet the requirements.

Here is another interesting read.
    http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2012/01/...ese-tires.html

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok boss. I give up.
    You should...I'm always right....just ask my wife......Oh wait a minute. Don't ask her! Let me think. I know I can find someone. Can I get back to you on that one?

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res