User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Les, I think you just started a new group--the ThreeTimeTVers. Congratulations, I think you're charter member #1 .
    I feel so much better now, 3 trucks and two trailers in recent past, I feel vindicated lol. Those darn oil changes at the dealer will get you every time.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was concerned whether I had enough truck. We're pulling the 29RS 5er and it has never felt like a strain, but I wondered. I got it weighed earlier this month and I think it looks good. The trailer was loaded except for fresh water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181205_093045.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	16891
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    I was concerned whether I had enough truck. We're pulling the 29RS 5er and it has never felt like a strain, but I wondered. I got it weighed earlier this month and I think it looks good. The trailer was loaded except for fresh water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181205_093045.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	16891
    Tom,
    What is the GVWR of your truck (according to the sticker on the driver's doorpost)? Google said it's between 8,510 and 9,000lbs. Your weight ticket shows the truck weighs 10,320. A thousand pounds is considerably over the GVWR if my suspicion is correct.

Also, did you get the truck weighed without the trailer? I weigh the full setup and then just the truck on the same visit to the scale so I can calculate my pin weight.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since we have a diesel 3/4 ton and are 500 lbs overweight towing a tiny 9k lb 5th wheel, it makes me think all these other 3/4 ton trucks I see on the road pulling much larger rigs must be drastically overloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Since we have a diesel 3/4 ton and are 500 lbs overweight towing a tiny 9k lb 5th wheel, it makes me think all these other 3/4 ton trucks I see on the road pulling much larger rigs must be drastically overloaded.

Yep, Most are overweight and don't realize it.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Tom,
    What is the GVWR of your truck (according to the sticker on the driver's doorpost)? Google said it's between 8,510 and 9,000lbs. Your weight ticket shows the truck weighs 10,320. A thousand pounds is considerably over the GVWR if my suspicion is correct.

Also, did you get the truck weighed without the trailer? I weigh the full setup and then just the truck on the same visit to the scale so I can calculate my pin weight.
    Interesting. The axle rating for the front is 6000 and the rear is 6500, but the GVWR is 10,000, so I am over by 320. I should try to move some of the weight back. I wonder how a full tank of water would affect things. It probably wouldn't reduce the pin weight, huh.

And no - I haven't weighed just the truck yet.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it extremely interesting that the two grand design dealerships I have been consulting are both adamant that you can pull an imagine 2970 with a half ton truck. As they say, "everyone uses a half ton truck with no problem." That statement alone concerns me. Shouldn't the Grand Design dealer be providing you with safety information that is correct? The Ram Truck dealers have a computer calculation to determine if the truck you are considering can pull the trailer. The only flaw in their computer program is that there is no where to calculate using a hitch to control tongue weight. Therefore, they are calculating the ability of the Ram truck to pull the trailer off the ball hitch only. Either way, the Ram truck calculation comes out to say to pull a 2970 you need a 3/4 ton truck. Obviously, what the truck says it can pull is not actually what he can pull in reality. I am concerned that many people listen to the Grand Design dealerships and get stuck in a truck that can not safely pull the imagine 2970.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have a 2970 and a 2018 F250 6.7L diesel. i am within my limits on towing and pay load. i have recently purchased a golfcart that i put in the bed when we tow to go camping. now, im close to the payload. i wish i would have bought the f350. price difference is low for the added payload. the f250 tows the trailer very well!! getting between 9-11 mpg towing, depending on how fast i drive. im in the flat land of florida so no hills!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthorpe05094 View Post
    we have a 2970 and a 2018 F250 6.7L diesel. i am within my limits on towing and pay load. i have recently purchased a golfcart that i put in the bed when we tow to go camping. now, im close to the payload. i wish i would have bought the f350. price difference is low for the added payload. the f250 tows the trailer very well!! getting between 9-11 mpg towing, depending on how fast i drive. im in the flat land of florida so no hills!!
    What is your payload capacity?
    I have pretty much the same truck and a 9k# trailer but I’m overloaded.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthorpe05094 View Post
    A typical golf cart curb weight with 6 batteries weighs about 940 lbs. that will quickly eat into payload.

A F350 adds about 1,300 lbs more payload over a equally equipped F250.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast