User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordering 2970RL advice on Truck size

We are purchasing a 2970RL. We want to make sure we are buying the safest size truck. Looking at the RAM and Ford. Wondering if 3.92 axle ratio good enough to tow the 2970RL even if at max weight of 8999? Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    We are purchasing a 2970RL. We want to make sure we are buying the safest size truck. Looking at the RAM and Ford. Wondering if 3.92 axle ratio good enough to tow the 2970RL even if at max weight of 8999? Any thoughts?
    It's me again (I just wrote a welcome response in your Newcomer's thread). I think this topic is the favorite on this forum--we love to talk about trucks ("tow vehicles", or "TV") as much as we do our RVs!

Based on a mistake I made with a truck purchase, may I make a suggestion? There is a post in the REFERENCE LIBRARY (a separate sub-group on this forum you access from the main page) about how to determine if you have enough truck. (Last page of the book: it's payload that gets us every time, not tow capacity!)

Here's a link to the post:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ity-Calculator

I hope you'll take the time to digest the information (and links to references) in that thread. The video by the Keep Your Daydream team is especially good.

If you have any questions, please ask. You don't want to become a member into a group we sarcastically reference as a "club" here on the forum--the TwoTimeTVers. (Yes, I'm a charter member. It took me two times and an extra $10K to get it right.)

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordering 2970RL advice on Truck size

Read the reference info that Howard suggest. I’m a new member here also and it’s been a fantastic source of info. Thanks for that reference material Howard.

I also am looking at getting a 2970RL. I have towed boats for years and have felt so much better towing with a diesel. Besides the torque and power, the exhaust break is an awesome feature. I currently already have a dodge 2500 Cummins. All the big three manufactures make a good diesel. If you are even remotely thinking of getting a bigger trailer down the road, get a 1 ton. Welcome to the club.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by SeanandKandace; 11-08-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group jabhoyt, this is one of the best forums on the internet. I too am a member of the twotimetvers by not getting enough truck the first time. I had an Imagine 2950RL (now called 2970RL) and pulled it fine with an F250 diesel. What will bite you on that trailer is tongue weight, it can approach 1500 pounds if the front mounted water tank is full. This will exceed the payload of most 1/2 tons so go at least a 3/4 to give you some room. Most any truck will pull it fine, its the hitch weight you have to watch. Good luck with your new rig!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy from Texas, you are receiving very good advice. We have the 2950RL version and I can tell you it is a heavy RV. The 2950/2970 is listed at 33.8 (2970RL is a hair longer) feet but is actually over 35 feet hitch ball to ladder and is over 11 feet high. That is a huge aerodynamic travel trailer brick to tow and will catch a lot of wind. It can be a bear to handle with a 1/2 ton without a great weight distributed anti sway hitch approaching a tongue weight of 1500#. I would not tow this RV with a short bed 1/2 ton truck. Its too much trailer for the 1/2 tons.

In the beginning we used a 2002 3/4 ton 5.9L diesel with 3.55 gears and it did just fine but the GVWR was right at the trucks limits. The 5.9L diesel with 3.55 gears struggled when pulling hills. We had to upgrade our hitch to a minimum 1400/14000 to handle the tongue weight. We also had to upgrade our truck hitch receiver to a Class V to handle the weight.

The newer 3/4 ton trucks with a bigger cubic inch engine, heavier suspension brakes and payload than 1/2 tons, minimum 3.92 gears or better, gas or diesel, long bed, would be the ideal vehicle to tow the 2950/2970. You don't want to tow this unit just barely below a trucks towing limits unless you only ever plan to go RVing on very short trips.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    What will bite you on that trailer is tongue weight, it can approach 1500 pounds if the front mounted water tank is full. This will exceed the payload of most 1/2 tons so go at least a 3/4 to give you some room.
    Besides payload capacity, that kind of tongue weight would also exceed the hitch receiver capacity of most half-ton pickups.

Happy truck shopping!
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! We just bought the 2970RL and are excited to use it in the spring (kind of like getting a bike for Christmas as a kid in Minnesota, though - not being able to use it until spring is a bummer!). Anyway, we had the exact same question because we're going to be buying a truck to pull it in March. This great forum community was very helpful when I posted the question. I have no idea how to link to the thread (sorry), but here's the address: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...the-truck-help!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have added in my earlier reply what others have advised, if you're shopping for a new truck now, and if there is even a remote chance in the future that you would upgrade your RV to a bigger, heavier unit or 5th wheel go ahead and get a 1 ton now.

We plan on @ two years going fulltime RV and upgrading to a 5th wheel, 337RL or 3350RL so we were just keeping an eye on 1 ton truck sales (will need it for a 5th wheel). Well back in about July Ram had a local sales promotion in Texas with 1 ton incentives, Cummins cash back bonus, upgraded warranty, trade-ins and other considerations, by the time all the incentives were added up we received $13,000 off the sticker price of $75,430.

Now this new truck is way over the top of what our plans called for with all the options it has (see sig line) but in the end it will be our only vehicle. Right now it tows our Imagine like they say, it's not even there, not true but you get my point. When it comes time for our new 5th wheel, there will be no doubt our 1 ton can handle it. And who knows, we have a good relationship with a local RV dealer and they could call us and say we have a great deal on the RV you're looking for.

These trucks are expensive, I get it. Your budget may be tight and not enough to get one of these towing monsters of any brand manufacturer. Just make sure that you somehow get more truck than you need. You won't regret it.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck I guess I'm a two time member of the club!

We bought a 2013 Jayco and towed it with our 2012 Chevy 1500 z71 4X4. It towed great in perfect conditions, but we didn't always get perfect conditions. So I upgraded to a 2012 Chevy 2500HD diesel 4X4, bypassed the extra $ and decided to not to get the 2013 Chevy 3500HD diesel 4X4. A short time later the DW decided that she wanted a 5th wheel, so in March of 2017 we got a 2017 GD 311BHS and towed it with the 2500HD and again it towed okay on trips. Got a lot of bucking during take-off and stops but nothing that - I thought - was out of the ordinary. Then one day (in April) when I took the 2500HD in for an oil change, my son (who works at the dealership) told me that they had just gotten a 2015 Chevy 3500HD diesel 4X4 in on trade. They made me a sweet deal (but not as good as the first one) and I traded the 2500HD. Now after towing all spring and summer, I can honestly kick myself in the tail end for not getting the original 3500HD. The 3500HD tows so much better, has no bucking and feels so much safer. Sometimes I have to look back and check to see if it's still back there.

So my advise is don't think that you have enough truck always plan on adding more and more stuff to the trailer or 5th wheel - or upgrading some day to a bigger 5th wheel. The money you spend today will be less that the money that you'll spend in the next couple of years.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Heck I guess I'm a two time member of the club!

We bought a 2013 Jayco and towed it with our 2012 Chevy 1500 z71 4X4. It towed great in perfect conditions, but we didn't always get perfect conditions. So I upgraded to a 2012 Chevy 2500HD diesel 4X4, bypassed the extra $ and decided to not to get the 2013 Chevy 3500HD diesel 4X4. A short time later the DW decided that she wanted a 5th wheel, so in March of 2017 we got a 2017 GD 311BHS and towed it with the 2500HD and again it towed okay on trips. Got a lot of bucking during take-off and stops but nothing that - I thought - was out of the ordinary. Then one day (in April) when I took the 2500HD in for an oil change, my son (who works at the dealership) told me that they had just gotten a 2015 Chevy 3500HD diesel 4X4 in on trade. They made me a sweet deal (but not as good as the first one) and I traded the 2500HD. Now after towing all spring and summer, I can honestly kick myself in the tail end for not getting the original 3500HD. The 3500HD tows so much better, has no bucking and feels so much safer. Sometimes I have to look back and check to see if it's still back there.

So my advise is don't think that you have enough truck always plan on adding more and more stuff to the trailer or 5th wheel - or upgrading some day to a bigger 5th wheel. The money you spend today will be less that the money that you'll spend in the next couple of years.
    Les, I think you just started a new group--the ThreeTimeTVers. Congratulations, I think you're charter member #1 .
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast