User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recall for missing bearings......

This is a serious issue for sure but I never saw a recall for the mass brake failures caused by excessive grease.
    Everyone with a 2019 Grand Design Reflection, Imagine and Transcend travel trailer pay attention

Grand Design RV, LLC (Grand Design) is recalling certain 2019 Grand Design Reflection, Imagine and Transcend travel trailers. The axles may be missing inner bearings on the hubs, which can cause the bearing to burn out or cause the hub to overheat. If the bearings prematurely wear, it can cause the hub to overheat and smoke, increasing the risk of a fire. Grand Design will notify owners, and dealers will replace the defective hubs with new hubs or replace the axles, free of charge. The recall began October 22, 2018. Owners may contact Grand Design customer service at 1-574-825-9679. Grand Design’s number for this recall is 910015.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose this might go along with our incident today. We picked up our new GD Imagine on Friday. Towed it home which was approximately 20 miles. Towed it to a local state park to spend week just to break it in and get used to how things operated in the new unit. On the way from our home to the storage lot today I noticed squeak and odor but couldn't see anything wrong. Thought it might be the brakes seating. At the storage lot when I was backing it in I noticed the passenger side rear wheel almost laying on its side. It appears that either the bearing or hub failed and the unit is now down. Not what I expected from a brand new trailer. We purchased a GD because I liked the fact that the units were supposedly put through a secondary third party inspection prior to shipping. The dealer is sending a flatbed to pick up the unit on Monday. My wife is now concerned with the quality of the RV and is reluctant to take any longer trips when we get the unit back. The service manager promised me they will go through the entire undercarriage of the unit to assure this won't happen again. We will see how GD responds to this.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow. I knew about the recall. But this is the first I've heard of a problem that may be related to it. It will be interesting what they find. I'm curious what state you live in and how far they had to drive it for delivery.

Jim

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cforman61 View Post
    I suppose this might go along with our incident today. We picked up our new GD Imagine on Friday. Towed it home which was approximately 20 miles. Towed it to a local state park to spend week just to break it in and get used to how things operated in the new unit. On the way from our home to the storage lot today I noticed squeak and odor but couldn't see anything wrong. Thought it might be the brakes seating. At the storage lot when I was backing it in I noticed the passenger side rear wheel almost laying on its side. It appears that either the bearing or hub failed and the unit is now down. Not what I expected from a brand new trailer. We purchased a GD because I liked the fact that the units were supposedly put through a secondary third party inspection prior to shipping. The dealer is sending a flatbed to pick up the unit on Monday. My wife is now concerned with the quality of the RV and is reluctant to take any longer trips when we get the unit back. The service manager promised me they will go through the entire undercarriage of the unit to assure this won't happen again. We will see how GD responds to this.
    Never heard of this kind of thing happening before! Currently you seem to actually be seeing how well your dealer responds. Some are great, some not so much. The bad ones don't even tell Grand Design about things, unless they can figure out how to get reimbursed for the work. It would be very advisable to call Grand Design yourself to alert them (they'll need your VIN), and ask that they follow up with the dealer to make sure you and your wife are 100% assured - and that they then contact you back to confirm what they told the dealer to do.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to go to my dealer today to drop off the key card for my storage facility so they can pick the unit up on Monday. I spoke with the sales manager and asked him why they were not informing customers about the recall. He told me he was not aware of the recalls on any of the units. I don’t believe him since it looks like the recalls started back in October of 2018. I told him he really needed to keep himself and his sales personnel current on the products they sell. I will be questioning GD about this on Monday.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad this came to light before I picked mine up. Hope the word gets out to everyone who has a potentially impacted unit.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cforman61 View Post
    I had to go to my dealer today to drop off the key card for my storage facility so they can pick the unit up on Monday. I spoke with the sales manager and asked him why they were not informing customers about the recall. He told me he was not aware of the recalls on any of the units. I don’t believe him since it looks like the recalls started back in October of 2018. I told him he really needed to keep himself and his sales personnel current on the products they sell. I will be questioning GD about this on Monday.
    The people in charge of prepping new units, as well as everyone else in the service department likely knew about the recall. But nobody tells the salesmen. The better questions:
    1. Was your unit part of the recall? If newer, maybe not. If it was a hold-over on the dealer lot from last fall, maybe. GD can tell you that, right away.
    2. If it was part of the recall, since there was no private owner to notify, did Grand Design notify the dealer that they had a bad one on their lot?
    3. If GD did notify, why didn't the dealer do anything?
    4. If it was not part of the recall - what exactly caused the failure, and what are they doing (both GD and the Dealer) to guarantee it won't happen again?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    The people in charge of prepping new units, as well as everyone else in the service department likely knew about the recall. But nobody tells the salesmen. The better questions:
    1. Was your unit part of the recall? If newer, maybe not. If it was a hold-over on the dealer lot from last fall, maybe. GD can tell you that, right away.
    2. If it was part of the recall, since there was no private owner to notify, did Grand Design notify the dealer that they had a bad one on their lot?
    3. If GD did notify, why didn't the dealer do anything?
    4. If it was not part of the recall - what exactly caused the failure, and what are they doing (both GD and the Dealer) to guarantee it won't happen again?
    Turns out we have Dexter axles which are not listed in the recall. Our dealer couldn't find a tow company with a flatbed to come out and pick up the unit so they sent out a mobile RV repair company that they claim GD uses for mobile repairs in our area. I met the repair guys on site and they were both confused as to what caused the issue. I was informed I will need a new axle and wheel. I was supposed to hear back from them today on how long it would take but didn't hear from them or our dealer. Funny, the dealer really jumped after I spoke with GD about the issue and now I can't get a call returned. If I don't hear from my dealer by mid day tomorrow I will make a visit to their location. It's about 20 miles from our house but I don't mind. I like looking in peoples eyes when I speak with them especially when it concerns something like this. Will keep you all informed as to the progress of the repairs and the responses from our dealer and GD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you have better luck actually talking to a human at GD. I’ve emailed and called sever times still waiting on a response. Although my issues aren’t axles at this time. They still SUCK at communication.
    Oh and BTW they (GD) don’t even have a survey to share your concerns. I’m not even sure if their monitoring this forum anymore. Hopefully Winnebago will sort this Co. out soon. I must say I’m not impressed with GD what so ever. They have a tremendous amount of work to do to change my impressions of this CO. It’s been 4 weeks and still no approval to go ahead with warranty work. I’ve actually read the manual; especially the part about reporting issues within the first 20 days of buying and getting it repaired within 90 days. Are they trying to wait a whole year?
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast