User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh Water Tank Volume Problem

One of the reasons we upgraded our trailer was for a bigger water tank. We have been out a few times and the water tank becomes "empty" when there is still about 1/3 of the water left in the tank. We are from Canada and dry camp a lot. Our last trailer, a Durango, had a smaller tank but it lasted twice as long. We are very upset about this issue as it means we have to find water after 3 days instead of the 6 days we anticipated. I have read other people with the same issue. I am hoping that others may post as well, I think Grand Design needs to address this issue for us. It is also a safety issue having that inaccessible water sitting in the tank. I LOVE my Grand Design Reflection 295RL in every other aspect - but sadly, this is a big issue for us as the trailer isn't working for dry camping. Any advice would be welcome. I should add that we bought the trailer used and the 30 day warranty was over before we found the issue. Thanks! Carol
    Last edited by Carolabrown; 07-21-2023 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you pulled the fresh water drain is i really empty ?
    Bad sensor reading ? Water pickup not at bottom of tank ?
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't measured the water that is left yet but we will on our next trip - there is a considerable amount of water that drains out after it is 'empty'. I am not sure, myself, where the intake is but I have read other posts about the same issue. I am hoping to get some ideas by posting this!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 things come to mind...

Keep using the water even when the gauges say it is "empty". See how many more days you get out of it.

Is the water pump volume the same as your old trailer or is the pump GD uses a higher volume pump thus using more water for the same amount of time you use to run the faucet(s) & shower?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    2 things come to mind...

Keep using the water even when the gauges say it is "empty". See how many more days you get out of it.

Is the water pump volume the same as your old trailer or is the pump GD uses a higher volume pump thus using more water for the same amount of time you use to run the faucet(s) & shower?
    Hi There, Thank you for the response! So the pump just quits pumping, gets airlocked, sputtery water and we can tell it isn't getting any feed of water. We have pulled the drain and we are surprised at how much is still in the tank. As for the volume..............interesting thought!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolabrown View Post
    Hi There, Thank you for the response! So the pump just quits pumping, gets airlocked, sputtery water and we can tell it isn't getting any feed of water. We have pulled the drain and we are surprised at how much is still in the tank. As for the volume..............interesting thought!
    One more thought....

I think GD is REALLY bad at how they plumb things... Tanks don't drain completely unless I tilt the front of my rig up - a lot; and still they never really empty as in previous RVs we've owned (and we've never had to tilt an RV to get good draining before.
    (GD remains tone-deaf to this complaint).

So now it sounds like it is the same issue with the fresh water tank. We don't use ours a lot so I have no experience with how long it will support us . Maybe try putting the rig off-level a bit. (i know - bad idea, but.....)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had RV’s over the years and read about others with RV’s that have the fresh water pick up line in the side of the fresh tank, sometimes it is 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of the tank. I was able to replumb a couple of mine so the water pump drew from the bottom of the tank by tapping into the dump valve line. I have seen where some recent GD owners have done the same thing. It can make a big difference in how much usable water the fresh tank holds.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost