Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold air from heater intake?

Hello,
    Forgive me if I missed this question in my search results. We are looking at a 150 series 273MK. It has (similar to all models I believe) 2 fresh air intakes for the furnace including one behind the toilet. My question is does cold air from the storage compartment make it's way into the bathroom and living area (when the furnace isn't running)? On other trailers my basement storage area has always been colder than inside. I am concerned that cold air will make the bathroom colder than usual as well as the living area. We tend to keep the heat set low at night but just concerned the bathroom will be significantly colder. As a side note the 150 series compartment doors are thin compared to other models. It does have a heat vent in the basement.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The furnace does not actually have a cold air intake. The register on the floor behind the toilet is just to allow circulating air from the basement to the inside of the coach.
    Our 29RS actually has a pretty warm floor in the bathroom when the heater is on. The vent into the basement is an easy place for the furnace to blow hot air out. I will be checking this is the spring to see if this is something I can change to allow more hot air into the inside and a little less into the storage area. We have put a towel to block the register behind the toilet when running a/c, this helps to keep the cold air inside and not go down into the basement storage.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar problem with my Reflection 2017 27 RL. It has a cold air return under the to set of drawers toe kick in the kitchen. Yes it is a cold air return as the flow of air moves toward the furnace when it is running. However, when it is not running you feel cold air at your feet when standing in the kitchen. This is very uncomfortable in cold weather. We have put a rug in front of it when we are not operating the furnace and are using our Big Buddy propane heater. I am bringing my 5th wheel in for some warranty work on other items and am going to ask the dealership if there is a fix for this. Maybe a baffle?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've not had a problem with it. As noted, our bathroom floor tends to stay warm because it's right over the furnace and water heater. The only time I've felt cold air from one of the returns is when I have a basement door open and the wind is blowing - and that was only the return under the buffet. A baffle would not fix the issue unless it was restrictive enough to hamper air flow.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with SC Rob that this should not be a problem unless a pass-though door is open. If you feel cold air coming up through these returns, check the seals around your pass through doors. Cold air does not naturally come “up”, if there is warm air above, unless pushed by some external means.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the responses. Just not famaliar with the design like that so wanted to confirm it was ok. We do a lot of cold weather camping and that was an area of concern. I would assume in summer we could block those off so warm air (maybe even flying critters) from outside/storage unit didn't enter?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I appreciate the responses. Just not famaliar with the design like that so wanted to confirm it was ok. We do a lot of cold weather camping and that was an area of concern. I would assume in summer we could block those off so warm air (maybe even flying critters) from outside/storage unit didn't enter?
    Unless you leave a pass-through door open, there is little chance of flying critters finding there way in through this path. There is a small benefit to blocking off these openings in the summer. This will retain cold air from the AC (which drops to the floor naturally) from escaping into the basement area.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.