Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange Issue when using generator

Hello,

We have a '18 303RLS. Live in southeastern IN where we got walloped with an ice storm this week so power lines down everywhere. I pulled out the camper so we can stay in it...started our generator (it's TroyBilt 5500W) and have house fridge plugged (the actual fridge/freezer in the house) into it along with the '303.

I had only the furnace running in the camper and the blower fan seemed to be running very slow and every now and then the few lights we had on would flicker. This went on for an hour or so and I decided to try turning on the electric fireplace since the generator was running with such a light load on it. The very second I turned on the fireplace and the generator pulled down as expected, the gas furnace fan kicked on high and the lights in the camper immediately got brighter. The battery level indicator also jumped to full charge just like it shows when your normally plugged into shore power.

When the electric fireplace would reach temp and shut off and the genny rev up, the 12V system immediately slowed down again...and then go back to full blast once the fireplace kicked back on the genny pulled down.

What gives...any ideas? Could it be a voltage issue w/ the generator when its under moderate load (where it seems the camper likes it better) vs minimal load?

Look forward to any thoughts.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the generator an inverter generator or a contractor style?

If it is NOT an inverter style, it can throw all kinds of dirty electric and it will affect control boards and converters.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep...contractor type. What you say is what I suspected the issue might be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you still have an issue when the house frig is unplugged? I'm tempted to say you have a bonding issue but not sure.
    Are the lights in the rv the 12 volt or 120 volt lamp?
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zenasboy View Post
    Hello,

We have a '18 303RLS. Live in southeastern IN where we got walloped with an ice storm this week so power lines down everywhere. I pulled out the camper so we can stay in it...started our generator (it's TroyBilt 5500W) and have house fridge plugged (the actual fridge/freezer in the house) into it along with the '303.

I had only the furnace running in the camper and the blower fan seemed to be running very slow and every now and then the few lights we had on would flicker. This went on for an hour or so and I decided to try turning on the electric fireplace since the generator was running with such a light load on it. The very second I turned on the fireplace and the generator pulled down as expected, the gas furnace fan kicked on high and the lights in the camper immediately got brighter. The battery level indicator also jumped to full charge just like it shows when your normally plugged into shore power.

When the electric fireplace would reach temp and shut off and the genny rev up, the 12V system immediately slowed down again...and then go back to full blast once the fireplace kicked back on the genny pulled down.

What gives...any ideas? Could it be a voltage issue w/ the generator when its under moderate load (where it seems the camper likes it better) vs minimal load?

Look forward to any thoughts.

Thanks!
    I haven't read your specific scenario before (plugged into house and RV simultaneously) but typically the problem is associated with needing a "bonding plug". See this thread for more information. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ower+generator

Search for "bonding plug generator" on Youtube and you'll see there multiple videos on the topic.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. When I got home Friday, the power was back on so I didn't try to figure out anymore what was going on. I think it was my generator. Deep freeze in the garage wouldn't run while plugged into the generator either.

I'll look into the bonding plug mentioned above.

thx again.