User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    That's not a valid calculation methodology. Each vehicle has their own specific GVWR. You shouldn't exceed that number.

Your tow vehicle (TV) in addition to the GVWR has a GCWR. I'm going to use ridiculously low numbers for the following examples.

Let's say your TV has a GVWR of 10 and when you weigh it on the CAT scale it's 9. Your trailer has a GVWR of 5 and weighs 4. You can put 1 more in the truck and one more in the trailer, but you should not put all 2 in either the truck or trailer. Doing so will exceed the GVWR of the vehicle you add the 2, too.

Now to the GCWR. You've got the same setup as above, but discover your TV's GCWR is only 12. Your actual combined weight is 13 (9+4), so your combined actual weight exceeds the TV's GCWR even though you stayed within each vehicle's GVWR! (Unlikely scenario--just trying to demonstrate the math.)

Let's say your GCWR rating is 20 instead of 12. That does not mean you can add 8 more to either the TV and/or TT because your actual combined weight is 12. The two vehicles are still limited to adding just one each based on their individual actual weight and GVWRs.

I hope that makes sense. I'm tired so if I messed that up somebody help me. (At least I now know it's Sunday thanks to Brian.)
    I am definitely being obtuse on this one. At work, I understand MRP, ERP, CRM, PLM and a host of other manufacturing related technologies, but this I am having a challenge.
    In the scenario I see, I will not be exceeding the GCWR with either vehicle and my load will not violate the GVWR of either vehicle or trailer (trailer has a gvwr of 7495 and a curb weight of 5785 with a hitch weight of 575).
    With the expedition total weight of trailer and vehicle will be 2700 pounds less than the GCWR. With the F150, the GCW will be 1500 pounds less than rated based on curb weights. Both equations are using curb weights. Of course with the expedition I can use 1438 of the 2700 pounds in it and the remainder in the trailer without existing limits. The pickup, with only 1500 available before reaching GCWR, could absorb the 1500 pounds of cargo split between TT and TV with no limits exceeded. Or am I not understanding this?
    This is somewhat of an academic exercise at this point. I have what I have. Won't be trading the truck for 3 years (just signed the lease). Just purchased the trailer and we are not ready to trade in the expedition.
    So will just make the best of the Expedition/2800BH combo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a great video put out by RV Saftey that does a good job of explaining how the numbers relate to each other.

https://rvsafety.com/rv-education/ma...ks-to-trailers
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    ...I will not be exceeding the GCWR with either vehicle
    I may be misinterpreting your response...but just in case...there's only ONE combined rating (GCWR). That rating is obtained by looking at your tow vehicle's specifications. Your Grand Design does not have a GCWR and the trailer has no affect on the TV's combined gross rating. In other words, I can find the GCWR on any tow vehicle without knowing anything about what will be towed. Again, the GCWR is a TV specification.

I understand the battle to understand all of this--I've been there! You asked the question so I'll give you an honest (friendly, but honest and a bit blunt): I don't think you completely understand yet.

Keep in mind you are conversing with a guy that spent an additional $10K because he didn't "get it" prior to jumping in. That was a tough life lesson. I just tossed away another $400 because I sold a Reese weight distribution hitch for a lot less than what I paid for it! (The hitch was never used because I bought it before I completely understood what I needed.)

CWSWine's link is a good one. I hope you've watched the Keep Your Daydream video, too.

You can figure this out. It's hard, but stay persistent until you can join me up here on the soapbox.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Here is a great video put out by RV Saftey that does a good job of explaining how the numbers relate to each other.

https://rvsafety.com/rv-education/ma...ks-to-trailers
    I'm going to add that link to the REFERENCE LIBRARY post. Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2019 2800BH and have towed it with my 2009 F150. I did a bunch of research before buying to make sure my truck would tow it and it is at the upper end. It will tow it but you have to be mindful of how you load it. Initially I loaded the front pass through with a lot of stuff and the tow was squirrely. I now load most stuff in the camper on the floor and then move it to the pass through when on site for storage. I recently towed it with my friends GMC 2500 diesel and it convinced me that I need a bigger truck. The F150 will do it but you have to be careful, the 2500 will pull it sideways. I will be buying a bigger diesel in the spring. I attached a calculator file to give you a good idea of what your load limits are. Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheeba View Post
    I have the 2019 2800BH and have towed it with my 2009 F150. I did a bunch of research before buying to make sure my truck would tow it and it is at the upper end. It will tow it but you have to be mindful of how you load it. Initially I loaded the front pass through with a lot of stuff and the tow was squirrely. I now load most stuff in the camper on the floor and then move it to the pass through when on site for storage. I recently towed it with my friends GMC 2500 diesel and it convinced me that I need a bigger truck. The F150 will do it but you have to be careful, the 2500 will pull it sideways. I will be buying a bigger diesel in the spring. I attached a calculator file to give you a good idea of what your load limits are. Good luck.
    I'm going to add that spreadsheet to the Reference Library, too. (I recognize that it's Marc's from KYD, so I'll annotate accordingly.)

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheeba View Post
    The spreadsheet was interesting and simple to use. Based on it, the Expedition is definitely the better tow vehicle. Vehicle payload would include hitch weight (575) and passengers/cargo (700). So I am thinking, based on using the srpeadsheet there is room for weight in the travel trailer up to the estimated GVWR (probably flashing my ignorance again). It did give me some "OK, now I see" moments. Ie, higher tongue weight taking away from vehicle payload was one example
    Last edited by f100owner; 11-19-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up our new 2800bh today. Pulled surprisingly well. Actually a lot better than our trade in. I was getting pushed around going to the dealer for the 30 miles of interstate highway. Coming back, nothing close to that experience. Tech had me air up rear tires to near max..48 pounds as there not even at recommended pressure of 35. Also, he suggested leaving the full tank of water in it.
    In any event return trip was pleasant.
    First time setup went ok. Had to rush to town to get a 50 amp to 30 amp converter. They said they had one that converted to basic 110, 15 amp. It was for going from 30 to 15. Luckily I found a local rv store in our little town still open at 5 PM day before Thanksgiving that had one and only $17.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with the full tank of water. I'd be surprised if you aren't over your 920 tongue weight limit with it full. Although I think the tank on the 2500 is pretty far forward.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks awesome btw. Very jealous.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast