0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Nice summary and comments

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    ^^ Nice summary and comments
    Well dang, if I'd taken the time to read your website I could have just referenced it instead of writing my tome!

Hope you stick around even if you do end up selling your 297.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I am going with the SwayPro. Question is now on the bar strength. With the 2400 BH the max weight is around 7500. With the write up and other stuff I've read it seems the bars are a little optimistic. Should I go with the 1000# bars instead of the 750# for the initial purchase?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindjin View Post
    I think I am going with the SwayPro. Question is now on the bar strength. With the 2400 BH the max weight is around 7500. With the write up and other stuff I've read it seems the bars are a little optimistic. Should I go with the 1000# bars instead of the 750# for the initial purchase?
    I'd definitely go with the 1,000# bars. I'm using 2,000# bars on my Reflection 297RSTS with a tongue weight of around 1,400# and it works much better than the 1,500# bars I started with. Don't forget that you need to take into account any additional weight that you put on the back axle due to cargo in the bed. The point of the bars is to spread enough load back to the front of the truck to aid in steering. So they need to be strong enough to counter not only the tongue weight, but also cargo weight on the back axle.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindjin View Post
    Don't forget to include the weight of the hitch, it's behind the trucks' axle. If I were calculating for your trailer I would use 12-15% of GVWR for tongue weight, then add hitch weight and whatever you might load over or behind the trucks' rear axle. That should cover you for propane, battery, gear and liquids in tanks.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I'd definitely go with the 1,000# bars. I'm using 2,000# bars on my Reflection 297RSTS with a tongue weight of around 1,400# and it works much better than the 1,500# bars I started with. Don't forget that you need to take into account any additional weight that you put on the back axle due to cargo in the bed. The point of the bars is to spread enough load back to the front of the truck to aid in steering. So they need to be strong enough to counter not only the tongue weight, but also cargo weight on the back axle.

Jim
    What he said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with at least the 1K bars. Depending on the actual tongue weight you might even think about using the 1.5K. I have found that the Blue Ox SwayPro works better using bars that are the next size up from the ones that Blue Ox recommends. The next size up will more easily moves the weight forward and seems to also take the bounce out of the rear of the truck.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    I would go with at least the 1K bars. Depending on the actual tongue weight you might even think about using the 1.5K. I have found that the Blue Ox SwayPro works better using bars that are the next size up from the ones that Blue Ox recommends. The next size up will more easily moves the weight forward and seems to also take the bounce out of the rear of the truck.
    Totally agree.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2500RL with the Anderson and it's doing great. Good sway control, weight transfer, quiet, light, easy on/off (ok, the triangle pin is a bit of a pain). I do think they have their limits for weight transfer and don't think I'd use one on a larger trailer, but for the 2500 (and I assume 2400) it works well.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Anderson WDH with my truck ram 2500 Cummins
    And I'm not happy to much sway I think the Anderson is good for shorter and lighter trailer I have now Blue ox 1500 didn't make a trip with it yet. I'm hoping for better Ride
    Ethan & Kathryn
    chicago
    2013 Ram 2500 HD 4X4 crow cab 6.7
    Andersen No sway Hitch
    2018 Imagine 2800 BH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast