User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at buy Imagine 2970RL

Hi
    Needs some help, im looking at purchasing a 2019 Imagine 2970RL. I currently have a 2017 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL and wife found the Imagine. She really likes
    the floor plan, looking at advice on this unit. Have they had any issues or things i should be aware of, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave
    I can not speak to the 2970 its self but can offer some input. All RV's have some kind of issues some worse than others. We have had our GD product for 1 year now and have had some small issues and they were handled easily by GD. We think the quality is much better than other brands and the after sale help is unheard of in other brands. We chose GD for a lot of reasons before we found this forum. After finding the forum we were glad we chose GD. Very helpful people here and GD monitors this site and you can contact them from this site.
    Some one with this model will chime in here and give you some info.
    Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCarol View Post
    Hi
    Needs some help, im looking at purchasing a 2019 Imagine 2970RL. I currently have a 2017 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL and wife found the Imagine. She really likes
    the floor plan, looking at advice on this unit. Have they had any issues or things i should be aware of, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    It is a nice floorplan. My only advice is don't let your wife walk into a 315RLTS--once she sees the bedroom and front closet you'll be looking at buying a new truck, too.

Welcome to the forum!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at buy Imagine 2970RL

Lol at that Howard. That’s where we are.... But leaning toward a 2970 first in about 5 years, then upgrading truck in 10 years, then whatever the 315RLTS model is in 20 years being our last trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Dave
    Dave we have the 2950RL version. GD made some good changes in the bedroom and bathroom and renamed it the 2970RL. We love the floor plan of ours but we think the 2970 is better. The bedroom can be a little cramped but its not a big deal to us. I would make sure it has two AC units, you may need it.

Its a heavy RV with a GVWR of 9000#. Don't believe the 795# tongue weight listed on the web site. You're tongue weight will run around 1000# unloaded, and 1300# - 1500# loaded and depending on if you have water in the fresh tank. Ball to ladder its a little over 35 ft. IMHO it is not 1/2 ton towable, you should have a 3/4 ton vehicle at least to tow it and a good weight distributed hitch.

Another thing they changed is the slide mechanisms. The street side or kitchen side still uses a schwintek system, the curb side or dining uses a different system. The kitchen side or left side is heavier because of the appliances and pantry storage.
    It is not a fridged cold winter weather camper. The underbelly is heated by only one outlet and is pointed at the dump valve area but only if running the LP furnace. This will not protect your water lines in the rest of the camper in long sub-freezing temperatures. The storage compartment is not heated and that is where your city water line connects and is where the water demand pump is. The fresh water tank is right up front under the bed and gets very little heat so it could freeze.

There should be 4400# dexter axles and there is a recall for missing wheel bearing races but other than that I've not heard of systemic problems with them. The leaf spring equalizer suspension does not use wet or greasable bushings and others have found the nylon bushings wear out fast. The fix for this is to install wet bolts and metal bushings in the leaf springs and center equalizer so the suspension can be greased.

We have only had one problem with ours in the 1.5 years we have had it, that was a slide motor had to be replaced.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, what kind of warranty comes with a GD??

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were looking to upgrade from a 25' bumper pull about 12 months ago to the Imagine 2970. Then, we thought -- if upgrading -- then look at some 5th wheels. Guess what we bought.... the GD Reflection 337RLS. Now we are on the verge of too much camper for the truck, but the Reflection 337 RLS was a good decision.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, what kind of warranty comes with a GD??

Dave
    That's a complicated question. My recommendation is to go to Grand Design's website and download the owner's manual for the model you are interested in buying. There is a comprehensive section that covers all of the intricacies of the warranty. (As someone smarter than me previously said, buying a trailer is like buying a house--lots of warranties from multiple manufacturers.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)