User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford F-150 (2.7L Ecoboost, 145" WB, 3.55 axel ratio) Tow Capability

I would be very interested in knowledge/experience/feedback for this F-150's towing capability. We are interested in the Grand Design Imagine 2150 RB. Our truck has the trailer tow package and we added a weight distribution hitch for our current travel trailer (super crew, short bed). According to the 2018 Ford Towing Guide, this truck configuration's maximum tow capacity is 7700 lbs. However, on page 6 (Tow Guide) the Hitch Receiver Weight Capacity Chart shows 5000 lbs. max. trailer capacity (500 lb tongue load) for both the rear step bumper and the hitch receiver. The weight distributing maximum trailer capacity (same chart) is 13,200, based on the trailer towing selector chart (7700 lbs for our truck). The truck sticker info: GVWR: 6360 lbs. Front GAWR:3225 lbs, Rear GAWR: 3350 lbs. The hitch sticker-max gross trlr wt:11,600 (weight distributing) and 5000 lbs:wt. carrying. Max tongue wt:1160 (wt. distributing) and 500 (wt. carrying).
    I have received mixed responses from dealerships and Ford Motor Company. One response was that the GVWR should not exceed 70% of the 7700 lbs since the maximum tow capacity calculation did not account for towing trailers cross-country - he said that 5000 lb should be the maximum tow weight. The second person said that I should be fine pulling 6700 lbs. (Note: I may not have communicated consistently with the different points of contact so I tried to provide all of my information here). The 2150RB specs: Dry weight: 5300 lbs, GVWR: 6700 lbs, hitch weight: 427 lbs. We plan to pull it cross country. I am very confused at this point, and I would appreciate any insight! Leann

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the yellow payload sticker on the driver's side door jamb - what is the listed payload?
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1562 lbs. The window sticker as a 6360# GVWR package listed....thx!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of in the same discussion. Check out my thread in general discussion concerning towing a 2800bh. I have a 2018 f150 2.7 EcoBoost supercrew. But think I will end up using our expedition. However, one of the posts had a spreadsheet that helped me a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveandLeann View Post
    I would be very interested in knowledge/experience/feedback for this F-150's towing capability. We are interested in the Grand Design Imagine 2150 RB. Our truck has the trailer tow package and we added a weight distribution hitch for our current travel trailer (super crew, short bed). According to the 2018 Ford Towing Guide, this truck configuration's maximum tow capacity is 7700 lbs. However, on page 6 (Tow Guide) the Hitch Receiver Weight Capacity Chart shows 5000 lbs. max. trailer capacity (500 lb tongue load) for both the rear step bumper and the hitch receiver. The weight distributing maximum trailer capacity (same chart) is 13,200, based on the trailer towing selector chart (7700 lbs for our truck). The truck sticker info: GVWR: 6360 lbs. Front GAWR:3225 lbs, Rear GAWR: 3350 lbs. The hitch sticker-max gross trlr wt:11,600 (weight distributing) and 5000 lbs:wt. carrying. Max tongue wt:1160 (wt. distributing) and 500 (wt. carrying).
    I have received mixed responses from dealerships and Ford Motor Company. One response was that the GVWR should not exceed 70% of the 7700 lbs since the maximum tow capacity calculation did not account for towing trailers cross-country - he said that 5000 lb should be the maximum tow weight. The second person said that I should be fine pulling 6700 lbs. (Note: I may not have communicated consistently with the different points of contact so I tried to provide all of my information here). The 2150RB specs: Dry weight: 5300 lbs, GVWR: 6700 lbs, hitch weight: 427 lbs. We plan to pull it cross country. I am very confused at this point, and I would appreciate any insight! Leann
    Check out this thread (https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ity-Calculator), post #1 . There are multiple resources that are linked (or provided) that will help you to determine yourself if the numbers work.

The thread @f100owner mentioned is here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-sought-2800bh
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I have read the threads and we will start the calculations soon...It may just be me, but it shouldn't be this hard.....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links! As you can probably tell, we are new to this world....

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is better to be safe the sorry. Always when towing error on the side of caution.
    If you are going to be towing across country you will have a better experience if you do not have to struggle while doing it. White knuckle driving as we call it is not fun.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links! As you can probably tell, we are new to this world....
    No problem. One more forum-related suggestion: use "Reply with Quote" so the person you're addressing gets notified (and everyone else knows whom your writing, too.) This post here is an example--when I used Reply with Quote you got a notification.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions once you've done your "homework".

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I have read the threads and we will start the calculations soon...It may just be me, but it shouldn't be this hard.....
    We just got back into RVs a couple of years ago and started small. There was never any doubt our expedition with heavy duty towing package could handle the 4500 pound 21 foot zinger. Prior to that, several years ago, we had a 27 foot salem bunkhouse with no slides. It weighed about 5500 pounds. I was towing it with super duty fords. Again never an issue. Now we jumped into the middle of this 2800bh without really researching, just saying oh, yeah our expedition will tow it. On paper it will, but not with the margins we have had in the past.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast