User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    I'm just trying to decide if I can run one inverter to run the whole RV. Tom did it in Morton's on the Move. Not sure exactly how that works. I'd rather not have to buy two of them to run both legs. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I am in the process of installing a Tesla Battery in my 310GK with 50 amp service.
    I have decided to install my 3000 watt Victron Inverter/Charger on one leg of the 50 amp service panel, I will install a manual transfer switch to switch the second leg between Shore Power and the Inverter. Basically, what I will end up with is the same power I would have if I were plugged into a 30 amp power pole using a "Dog Bone" that supplies power to both legs of the service panel. You can run both Air Conditioners and the Microwave, ONLY, you can run just one at a time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I am in the process of installing a Tesla Battery in my 310GK with 50 amp service.
    I have decided to install my 3000 watt Victron Inverter/Charger on one leg of the 50 amp service panel, I will install a manual transfer switch to switch the second leg between Shore Power and the Inverter. Basically, what I will end up with is the same power I would have if I were plugged into a 30 amp power pole using a "Dog Bone" that supplies power to both legs of the service panel. You can run both Air Conditioners and the Microwave, ONLY, you can run just one at a time.
    What does the Tesla battery weigh? Sounds cool..
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tesla battery weighs about 58 lbs. With that 58 lbs you get the equivalent power of 10 6v Lead acid batteries which would weigh around 800 lbs.

Here is the electric math: 1 Tesla battery has 250 (+/-) amp hours at 24 volts, this yields 500 amp hours at 12 volts, all of which is usable. To get the same 500 amp hours from 6 volt Lead Acid batteries, you would need 1,000 amp hours of rated capacity, with each 6 volt battery having around 200 amp hours each you would need 10 6 volt batteries to reach 500 amp hours of usable power (discharge to 50%).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tesla S Battery Bank for Solar

The Tesla battery weighs about 58 lbs. With that 58 lbs you get the equivalent power of 10 6v Lead acid batteries which would weigh around 800 lbs.

Here is the electric math: 1 Tesla battery has 250 (+/-) amp hours at 24 volts, this yields 500 amp hours at 12 volts, all of which is usable. To get the same 500 amp hours from 6 volt Lead Acid batteries, you would need 1,000 amp hours of rated capacity, with each 6 volt battery having around 200 amp hours each you would need 10 6 volt batteries to reach 500 amp hours of usable power (discharge to 50%).
    At first glance I originally thought the Tesla battery looked like a viable choice.
    Then I did some research.
    What’s not so great is that the only way to procure a Tesla battery is to get one from a wrecked car. Tesla will not sell you a new one.
    They usually have zero warranty but a few resellers I’ve seen offer a one year warranty.
    They have no BMS (battery management system) to protect it from being overcharged, etc., so you have to buy one that wasn’t made for a Tesla battery and configure it yourself.
    The only real benefit is that they cost about a third of what a Battle Born costs. But the latter has a built-in BMS and a 10-year warranty with lifetime tech support.
    (And wasn’t pulled from a wrecked car).

In the end I decided going low budget wasn’t the best route, for us, when it comes to electrical equipment that can melt a trailer into oblivion.
    I’d rather cut corners in other areas where there’s no risk of fire and or death.

The thing that puzzles me is the guys that I’ve seen using the Tesla battery have tons of cash and could have easily paid the extra money for brand new lithium batteries with nice warranties.

I guess it’s the gee-whiz neato factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-25-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    At first glance I originally thought the Tesla battery looked like a viable choice.
    Then I did some research.
    What’s not so great is that the only way to procure a Tesla battery is to get one from a wrecked car. Tesla will not sell you a new one.
    They usually have zero warranty but a few resellers I’ve seen offer a one year warranty.
    They have no BMS (battery management system) to protect it from being overcharged, etc., so you have to buy one that wasn’t made for a Tesla battery and configure it yourself.
    The only real benefit is that they cost about a third of what a Battle Born costs. But the latter has a built-in BMS and a 10-year warranty with lifetime tech support.
    (And wasn’t pulled from a wrecked car).

In the end I decided going low budget wasn’t the best route, for us, when it comes to electrical equipment that can melt a trailer into oblivion.
    I’d rather cut corners in other areas where there’s no risk of fire and or death.

The thing that puzzles me is the guys that I’ve seen using the Tesla battery have tons of cash and could have easily paid the extra money for brand new lithium batteries with nice warranties.

I guess it’s the gee-whiz neato factor.

You're not thinking about weight and space though. I spent $4000 for the amp hours that 10 battle borns would do. I couldn't fit 10 in weight or space. And my victron inverters are easily programmable to be the bms I am missing. And even to us with the money $6000 is a lot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, installing a Tesla Battery is not the right move for everybody. Anyone who is even thinking about this project should be Very, Very, comfortable with the electronics of the project and should also be very knowledgeable about both AC and DC electric circuits.

That being said, I really wanted to find a reasonably priced Lithium solution for my coach and I just didn't feel that there were any off-the-shelf solutions that were a reasonable value.

Here is what I mean; it is widely reported that manufacturing costs for Lithium batteries (used in automotive applications) is $176 per kilowatt hour, extrapolating that number the batteries inside a Battle Born battery would cost about $18, even at 10 times cost, a Battle Born battery would cost less than $200 to make. Obviously, there is a whole lot of Supply and Demand happening in the lithium battery space and I chose a different supplier for my battery solution.

By-the-way, no one should consider spending so much money on 3 or more Battle Born (or other brands) batteries unless you are planning on doing a fair amount of Boondocking.

For us, boondocking will be primary and having access to shore power will be secondary. Consequently, a large source of stored electricity was paramount.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tesla S Battery Bank for Solar

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, if you follow the weather and don’t need air conditioning you don’t need very many amp hours to boondock for months on end. We’ve been doing it for a year full time on 400 aH and to be honest could have gotten by with half that most days.

I don’t want people thinking you have to invest a ton of cash to be able to have enough electricity to boondock for long periods.

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-26-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Granted, installing a Tesla Battery is not the right move for everybody. Anyone who is even thinking about this project should be Very, Very, comfortable with the electronics of the project and should also be very knowledgeable about both AC and DC electric circuits.

That being said, I really wanted to find a reasonably priced Lithium solution for my coach and I just didn't feel that there were any off-the-shelf solutions that were a reasonable value.

Here is what I mean; it is widely reported that manufacturing costs for Lithium batteries (used in automotive applications) is $176 per kilowatt hour, extrapolating that number the batteries inside a Battle Born battery would cost about $18, even at 10 times cost, a Battle Born battery would cost less than $200 to make. Obviously, there is a whole lot of Supply and Demand happening in the lithium battery space and I chose a different supplier for my battery solution.

By-the-way, no one should consider spending so much money on 3 or more Battle Born (or other brands) batteries unless you are planning on doing a fair amount of Boondocking.

For us, boondocking will be primary and having access to shore power will be secondary. Consequently, a large source of stored electricity was paramount.
    Thanks, that’s a logical explanation.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    Except for the standpoint of saving weight I don't think they are worth it.
    I can buy 4 left avoid and have the same useable capacity as two lithium ion for $200. The lithium will
    run you $2000 for 2 good quality ones. Shop of mine last 4-5 years on a good quality charger then the
    lithium would have to last 40-50 years to pay off at 10x the price.
    I quoted Alan from another thread from 5 months ago.
    It's funny how people come around and change their minds after learning the facts.

: )

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very well said. In fact, if you never boondock and always use hookups, a simple lead acid group 27 battery will meet all your needs.

Jim

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast