User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rota-flex pin box: 18k vs 21k

I have a Solitude 3740BH on order. This trailer comes with a standard and cheap Lippert 1621 solid pin box. Given I have a Ram 3500 Megacab SRW with short box, I'll be getting a Demco Autoslide to alleviate any turning issues (not looking for comments about Demco versus Pullright!). I was looking at the Morryde pin box but since you have to lock out the side to side movement with nylon blocks for the autoslide, I figured it defeats half the purpose of the Morryde in the 1st place. I can't go to a fancy air ride hitch as payload will be an issue; I want to remain light as possible. Locally someone is selling at Rota-flex 21K almost new take off pin box. My trailer would only need a 18k pin box, but the 21k is very well priced. I know the Morryde has different durometer rubbers for different weights, is the Rota-flex the same? Could I use a 21k Rota-Flex on the my 16k trailer and still have some benefits? I think the 1621, 1621HD and 1621SHD are all the same dimensions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you located? I have an 18k TrailAir pinbox like new that I'll make you a helluva deal on. It fits 1621 pin box mount...
    2019 Momentum 381M
    2018 Denali Dually LB with B&W Companion puck hitch
    Polaris RZR XP1k and Ranger 900XP

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CFDWheeler View Post
    Where are you located? I have an 18k TrailAir pinbox like new that I'll make you a helluva deal on. It fits 1621 pin box mount...
    Thanks, but I’m up in British Columbia... a bit far away!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    I have a Solitude 3740BH on order. This trailer comes with a standard and cheap Lippert 1621 solid pin box. Given I have a Ram 3500 Megacab SRW with short box, I'll be getting a Demco Autoslide to alleviate any turning issues (not looking for comments about Demco versus Pullright!). I was looking at the Morryde pin box but since you have to lock out the side to side movement with nylon blocks for the autoslide, I figured it defeats half the purpose of the Morryde in the 1st place. I can't go to a fancy air ride hitch as payload will be an issue; I want to remain light as possible. Locally someone is selling at Rota-flex 21K almost new take off pin box. My trailer would only need a 18k pin box, but the 21k is very well priced. I know the Morryde has different durometer rubbers for different weights, is the Rota-flex the same? Could I use a 21k Rota-Flex on the my 16k trailer and still have some benefits? I think the 1621, 1621HD and 1621SHD are all the same dimensions.
    Just note that many have had RotoFlex failures. The rubber moves out for some reason. I had 2 fail, one within a thousand miles. I was upgraded to a TrailAir after the second failure.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say this but I have a Solitude that came with a Rota-flex 21K. I didn't really realize how bad it was until I got rid of it and went to a Reese Sidewinder, which is basically a solid pin box. It was as if the Rota-Flex was inducing chucking. When I got rid of the Rota-Flex the chucking went with it. IMHO I think you are better off staying with the solid pin box. At least stay with it long enough to see how it does.

One other though....It seems like I read somewhere that you have to also lock out the Rota-Flex when you go with an autoslide. I might be wrong but worth looking into.

I did find this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...=Fifth%20Wheel
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res