User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    Check the sticker in the door that shows the max load for the axles. Usually on the 3/4 tons that rear axle # is the hard one to stay under as u get up in weight.
    Thanks to everyone in this discussion! I appreciate talking to as many people as possible and learning as much as possible in an effort to make sound decisions...PLEASE BEAR WITH ME:

I'm pretty certain my 18 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie, CC, short box, SRW w/ a PullRite #2700(16k) SuperGlide can handle a 2930RL. My one concern however is pin weight. The truck w/full fuel, hitch, me, and a couple of after market accessories weighs in at 8560#. GVWR is 11700#...
    Based on the payload yellow sticker on the door, after I put my wife and teenage daughter and a couple of coolers etc., I'm left with a remaining payload of about 2700#. We are not full timers and we usually travel with between 1200# and 1400# of gear and food in our (current) 5er, INCLUDING battery and propane. I like to travel with empty tanks. So here's the thing...

My current rig, a front bedroom Keystone Cougar High Country 313RL with all gear, weighs in at 11160# and has a pin weight, again loaded, of 2125#, which is about 19% of loaded trailer weight. I've had my 2018 RAM3500 for under a year and it pulls this trailer like there's nothing back there... So the Mrs. and I would like to move up to a GD Solitude S-Class 2930RL.

The 2930RL on the website, dry, weighs in at 11442# The advertised pin weight of 2174 is 19% of UVW. I'm told that Grand Designs advertised dry pin weights are pretty accurate...

My question is... will that 19% ratio hold true when I put my 1400#of gear in it?? If not how much will it change? With an available payload of 2700#on my truck, I can handle up to about 20.5% of loaded trailer weight on the pin... here's my calculations for the 2930 I'm looking at:

UVW is 11560.
    Add 1400# of gear= 12960#
    X 19% = 2462# pin weight Safely under my available remaining payload
    X 20% = 2592# pin weight Closer, but still under available payload
    X 21% = 2721# pin weight bam! I'm over truck GVWR (albeit by 21lbs)
    X22% = 2851# pin weight probably not a good option to exceed GVWR of TV by this much...

So there is my dilemma... Unfortunately, you can't load up the trailer and take it out to weigh it before purchase!

Oh yeah, one more question: I'm told that any weight carried above the pin box is actual added dead weight on the pin. Any gear under the trailer or below the pin box is a percentage added to pin weight. is this true? What's the percentage?

Somebody should teach a class on this stuff for prospective owners!

Any additional thoughts?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    If you go to RVtrader or similar you can find pictures of actual dry weights as they left the factory this will be minus battery and propane. Here is a link to one example:
    https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...0RL-5005389110
    This will perhaps give you a better (more accurate) value for your equation. As you can see it is a few hundred pounds more than the advertised weight.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ttkmcjo - Looks like you already have a pretty good handle on this!
    Because most of the storage space is forward of the trailer axles, the % pin weight will likely go up from unloaded pin weight.
    The closer the cargo is to the trailer axles, the less affect it will have on pin weight. Without the forward closet (the Solitude 2930 layout is similar to our Reflection 303), a good estimate is that 2/3 of your cargo will be carried by the trailer suspension and 1/3 by the pin.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the gross weight of the 2930RL is 15000, 20% would be 3000#, if you do not tow at gross you may be ok, but I would watch the weight closely, when you start adding things the weight adds up quickly.
    We camp with similar styles and with our camper loaded for general camping and even for a week we are under gross by about 1000#.

Brian

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkkmcjo View Post

Oh yeah, one more question: I'm told that any weight carried above the pin box is actual added dead weight on the pin. Any gear under the trailer or below the pin box is a percentage added to pin weight. is this true? What's the percentage?
    That's pretty good for a first approximation. If the axles were welded to the frame (no springs), added weight would be distributed according to the percentage of the distance from the pin to the axles.

In other words, if you place 500 lbs directly over the pin, 100% of that weight would add to the pin weight, and none to the axles. If the pin-to-axle distance is 15 feet, and you place that same weight 5 feet behind the pin, then 367 lbs would be on the pin, and 133 lbs on the axles.

Springs complicate the matter a little bit, as does the equalizer between the axles, but the above calculation won't be far off.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin
    Thanks for the RV Trader link to actual dry weights of a 2930RL. I have noticed most are a couple hundred pounds or more over the advertised weight. I don't think I've actually seen (on a lot or a website) a 2930 at the 11442# shown on the website... not sure where the extra 220lbs is coming from. There are not many options available on the rig, the heaviest one being dbl pane windows...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are scale weights of my 310GK that showed little over 50% of weight loaded went to the pin. Now depends on the floor plan and how you load but this is just an one example. Towing Planner states that average pin weight percentage goes up 3%. My 310GK went from 19.6 factory weight to 22.8 loaded ready to camp.

(http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...2&lw=12942&a=3. When comes to pin weights stubby pencil can be way off.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-Scale-Weights

Added: Just watch a video on youtube of the project manager for Solitude say that the engineers designed the S series Solitudes to be towed by a typical 3/4 ton truck.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pin weight is 2200 and the payload is 1913

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's dry pin weight loaded with 1913 cargo aboard it the pin weight will increase between 325 (17%) and 382 (20%) to the pin weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarrustti2930RL View Post
    Pin weight is 2200 and the payload is 1913
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need help. Considering buying a solitude s class bunk house. Model 3740. Pulling it with a chevy 1 ton diesel. Coach pin weight is stated to be 2800 lbs. The yellow door stick on my truck states Im good for 3748 lbs. Its not leaving me much margin for cargo. What Im asking is any one else out there pulling a solitude RV with a single wheel 1 ton??? My calculations seem to indicate I'll be over the truck's 11500 GVW by about 200-300 lbs. I just love the RV but don't like not having any margin.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast