User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Dennis - no one can deny your tenacity on sharing your input on this subject. You have been and continue to be steadfast on your position sharing considerable thought provoking information. I have learned much from your posts. The education and learning is important to help us all continue to do our own due diligence and make better informed decisions.......a hallmark of this wonderful forum.

Most are not in the same church pew to I dare say your zero tolerance in exceeding payload ratings. It is pretty evident that exceeding payload to some minimal degree but still safely being w/i other ratings for tires/axles/springs/etc. is not reason for great consternation. This said, however, those that operate exceeding safe ranges for tires/axles/springs/etc. are reason for real concern and correction. For commercial and special license situations it can be a different critter, of course.

Even though you sold your 310 leaving the fiver/trailer towing fraternity, I and many others appreciate your continued involvement in sharing your thoughts and sources of information on this and other subjects. Good stuff !

Dan
    Well said, Dan. I second your post and also thank Dennis (and everyone else) for their informative posts on this subject. The fact that we're so engaged on the topic puts us light-years ahead of those without a clue or maybe who just don't care.

I saw an example this afternoon. There was a RAM 1500 in the Lowes parking with an older bumper pull TT attached. The truck's rear bumper was just inches off the pavement, it was so grossly overloaded. We've all seen rigs like that--it's my sincere hope that through our continued dialog no one that frequents this forum travels so (obviously) unsafely.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exceeding the axle rating by a few thousand pounds doesn't have a risk of axle failing. Check out the dealer repair manual for 2015 Ford F350 diesel and see the Ford de-rates the axles from 10,900 to 7050 pounds. There is must be other reasons why Ford de-rates the axles by 3,850 pounds.

I don't feel give the advice to exceed the GVWR by 600 to 1200 pounds is good advice for people that new to towing and doesn't understand the risk and what is stated in the towing guides by the manufactures.

There is a case going through the court system about a person on the internet forum give medical advice that ended up causing harm. I sure hope that bleed over to the advice given in towing or on any other subject.

Looks like I need to move on to the Class A forums but I just hate the opinion based advice take over and the fact-based advice get depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Dennis - no one can deny your tenacity on sharing your input on this subject. You have been and continue to be steadfast on your position sharing considerable thought provoking information. I have learned much from your posts. The education and learning is important to help us all continue to do our own due diligence and make better informed decisions.......a hallmark of this wonderful forum.

Most are not in the same church pew to I dare say your zero tolerance in exceeding payload ratings. It is pretty evident that exceeding payload to some minimal degree but still safely being w/i other ratings for tires/axles/springs/etc. is not reason for great consternation. This said, however, those that operate exceeding safe ranges for tires/axles/springs/etc. are reason for real concern and correction. For commercial and special license situations it can be a different critter, of course.

Even though you sold your 310 leaving the fiver/trailer towing fraternity, I and many others appreciate your continued involvement in sharing your thoughts and sources of information on this and other subjects. Good stuff !

Dan
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dennis (CWSWine) . . . you have explained your perspective very clearly. I (for one) really appreciate the research and cross references that you put into every post. Each reader can heed your advice or not . . . that is everyone's individual choice. I can understand the frustration when someone doesn’t take my advice . . . hey, I raised four boys . This discussion is getting close to the “personal criticism" that we work to avoid on this forum. One of the cornerstones of this group is our ability to “agree to disagree”. It is time to do just that and close this thread. It definitely remains in place as a reference document for all the perspectives posted. Let’s move on . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678