User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I Safely pull a ?

I am a potential buyer of a Solitude S-Class 2930. What % of the Solitude S-Class 2930RL GVWR is the pin weight? The breadth of information across individual models and manufacturers is so different for every model, based on construction and what you are able to load in front of the axles. I see formulas from 15 to 25% of GVWR. Then you get people in the forum who have huge differences of opinion on safety margin etc., and salesmen who's answer is always "sure, no problem"!
    I wish I could do a "test weigh in" before purchase! Should I figure 15%, 20%, or 25% of GVWR? I have a 2018 RAM 3500 diesel Crew Cab Laramie SRW and I really want to know if it can handle the pin weight of a S-Class 2930. But first I have to get a realistic idea of what the pin weight will be with about1600# of payload on board the trailer. Thanks a million to anyone who can shed any accurate light on this.

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short Answer: Probably

Long Answer: The real answer is that you never really know for sure until you load up the truck, the trailer, and the family and head for the nearest truck stop and their CAT scales. It just depends on so many variables. That's probably why the question has its own section on the forum. Fortunately, we can make some reasonable assumptions and draw on the experience of our fellow forum members, and hopefully put your mind at ease.

First, let's get the 15-20-25% question out of the way. That's just a rule of thumb for what is typical for fifth wheels. That is, we can expect that almost all fifth wheels will end up having somewhere between 15 and 25% of their actual (not GVW) weight on the pin.

What matters most, in almost all cases, is the amount of load placed on the tow vehicle vs. the payload capacity of the tow vehicle. The payload of the truck is determined by the truck maker, and is specific to each individual truck, because it takes every installed option into account. You can find the payload for your truck by looking for the payload sticker on the driver's door jamb. The loaded hitch weight, plus occupants, fuel, the hitch itself, and cargo in the truck, should not exceed this number. My Silverado 3500 Diesel CC SRW long bed has a payload of 3739 lbs; your RAM is similar, so I'm going to guess your payload is 3500-4000lbs.

GD's web page shows the 2930 as having an unloaded weight of 11,442 lbs, and a dry pin of 2174 lbs. I couldn't find a GVW, but I'd guess 14,000, leaving a reasonable 2500 lbs for Cargo Capacity. Let's guess that you put 1500 lbs of "stuff" in the trailer, and 750 lbs of that ends up on the pin. So your total pin weight will be about 2924 lbs with a total weight of 13,000 lbs (about 22.5% pin weight). That will leave you 500 lbs or a bit more for stuff and people in the truck.

As you can see, there's a bit of guesswork involved, but unless you travel with a full NFL offensive line in the truck, you should be within the capacity limits of your tow vehicle. I haven't seen it written anywhere, but I think GD may have introduced the S-class models to get Solitude features down into a weight range where a duelly isn't absolutely necessary.

Dave
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Dave said!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkkmcjo View Post
    I am a potential buyer of a Solitude S-Class 2930. What % of the Solitude S-Class 2930RL GVWR is the pin weight? The breadth of information across individual models and manufacturers is so different for every model, based on construction and what you are able to load in front of the axles. I see formulas from 15 to 25% of GVWR. Then you get people in the forum who have huge differences of opinion on safety margin etc., and salesmen who's answer is always "sure, no problem"!
    I wish I could do a "test weigh in" before purchase! Should I figure 15%, 20%, or 25% of GVWR? I have a 2018 RAM 3500 diesel Crew Cab Laramie SRW and I really want to know if it can handle the pin weight of a S-Class 2930. But first I have to get a realistic idea of what the pin weight will be with about1600# of payload on board the trailer. Thanks a million to anyone who can shed any accurate light on this.
    I have a bumper-pull where the maximum recommended tongue weight is 15% of the 315RLTS' GVWR (10,995). During the purchase process I used those numbers to determine the worst-case scenario which is ~1,650lbs. (In real life my trailer is actually very close to the GVWR and the tongue weight is ~1,300.)

The Solitude S-Class 2930's GVWR is 15,000lbs. Simple math shows the maximum tongue weight you may encounter is 3,750lbs (25%, according to Towing Planner). I'm sure you know a 5th wheel has a higher pin weight than a bumper pull's tongue weight.

Have you looked in the Reference Library? There's a post there named Trailer Towing Capability Calculator with a bunch of links to resources on this subject. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ity-Calculator
    Last edited by howson; 02-05-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: fixed terminology
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going with Dave on this as well.
    Will add , we do not travel at full gvw , about 1000# less, with about 18% pin weight.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GMC 1 ton diesel and they way I load and the amount I carry in the truck this would fall below the GVWR and GAWR by a good margin.

On a standard rear living room and front bedroom this website is very close estimate on what the pin would be in real life.

http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...2&lw=12942&a=3
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just purchased a 2019 2930 RL I pull it with 6.4 L diesel F-250 srw the trailer weighs 11,600 empty my truck is ready to pull 15,000, with a full tank of water supplied by the dealership I tested my truck bringing it home and had no problems what's the weight

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarrustti2930RL View Post
    Just purchased a 2019 2930 RL I pull it with 6.4 L diesel F-250 srw the trailer weighs 11,600 empty my truck is ready to pull 15,000, with a full tank of water supplied by the dealership I tested my truck bringing it home and had no problems what's the weight
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. Can you tell me (if you know) what the pin weight is?... and the payload capacity of your F250? I'm not too worried about my truck being able to pull the rig; my concern is when the trailer is loaded, the pin weight on the hitch might cause me to exceed the GVWR of my truck...any thoughts? Really appreciate the info!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarrustti2930RL View Post
    The truck towing amount is not really a good indicator of what a ruck can actually tow. On the yellow sticker on the door jam it will state total weight of cargo should not exceed a number. On my truck it is 3661#.
    This number includes pin weight, full fuel, passengers, hitch, and anything else you have added to the truck since purchase. There are adds for trucks that can tow 20,000# , but I doubt that , that would mean about 4000# pin weight and cargo in the truck , the yellow sticker weight would have to be in the 5000# range.

There are many discussions on this topic , with a little searching you will find a lot of reading.

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the sticker in the door that shows the max load for the axles. Usually on the 3/4 tons that rear axle # is the hard one to stay under as u get up in weight.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast