User Tag List

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboySC View Post
    Flying Rc for close to 45 years and also own a 172n. Leaving in the upstate of South carolina I spend a good amount of time at Triple Tree where I am one of their aviators.
    Welcome to the forum.

I started flying RC back in 1970. Was president of our local club for a few years back then. Also was a club instructor.

Then I got my pilots license and bought a 1977 Cessna C-172N. N733WC. My wife got her Private Pilots License In it in 1980 and I did my instrument in it. Then traded it for a R182. It was much better for traveling distances. The 172 was a great machine for stress relaxation after work.

Flew light acrobatics in a Citrabria for several years. Nice taildragger.

I’ve got over 3,000 hours and my wife has about 2,000 hours of PIC.

We currently have a vacation home at FL75 http://www.airnav.com/airport/FL75 It has a nice 3,000 foot grass strip with lights. We no longer own an airplane but still fy with friends. My friend at FL75 has a nice Saratoga and an Aircoop.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 04-02-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring some reasonably sized planes. Its no fun flying alone.

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was cool to see this thread! I started RC in a RC club in school back in the early 80's in the 6th grade. We had a Wood shop teacher that was an avid flyer and formed a club to pass the hobby on to kids that were interested. He probably ran the club for 10-12 years and usually had 8-12 kids in the club. We built on bad weather days and flew on good weather days. I remember when we were able to get trainer cord radios and we all started to get a bit more stick time, that made a big difference in the satisfaction of flying what you had built or helped build. In the club we had mostly stick built or foam stuff in the 30-40 Nitro range. Certainly wasn't anywhere near an expert or even an intermediate pilot after 3 years in the club, but had some decent knowledge gained for the $6.00 per year it cost me for dues.

I really didn't fly much more until college (early 90's) after that, I had some RC cars and boats in between that time and had a lot of fun with those. In college, I built a 2 meter Goldberg Gentle Lady sailplane. This thing was a lot bigger than anything I had ever built of flown before and was fairly involved on the build side based on my skills at the time. I had a neighbor across the street from me that was about 15 years older that was an expert pilot and had many planes and he really was the one who urged me to get back into flying and let me tag along when he'd go out flying. I remember flying his Sig Senorita off the water a few times and that was really cool. He also has a "Bobcat" 2 meter sailplane that I took to very well and with that he urged me to build the Gentle Lady. Over the next few years in college, I acquired a nice Airtonics FM radio and a high start for my Gentle Lady, but only found time to fly it a handful of times, and I was still a pretty green pilot lacking confidence and in a sense kind of scared to fly in fear of crashing what was at the time a HUGE investment of time and money to me.

Fast forward to about 2013 or so and I stumbled upon Flitetest. I started to watch all of their videos and shared some of them with my then 8 year old son as he showed some interest. Their focus was on electric powered flight and getting folks into the hobby economically and with minimal build time. They offered free plans and/or laser cut plane kits out of "Dollar Tree Foam Board", along with the correct motors, batteries, ESC's, and servos all served up in kit form for an economical price. Actually at the time, I believe they pointed you to a link to someone else's site that was selling the power pack kits. I ended up buying the 3 plane foam board kit and power pack, picked up a cheapish 9 channel radio and went at it. I was in the air and a successful backyard pilot in a very short time armed with a hot glue gun and these foam kits. I really like flying the Flitetest FT Flyer and probably had over 100 flights on it before it basically wore out and I retired it.

I now fly all electric, I have about a dozen park flyers (Cubs, Slow Sticks, Bix 3 and others) and a few drones. I take my Mavic Pro drone camping with us as it's easy to store and get up in the air quickly. I much prefer the fix wing air craft over the rotor craft though. I am by no means an expert, but I am no longer afraid to fly and I'd consider myself an accomplished intermediate pilot. I'd have to say I owe a lot of credit to Flitetest for that as well as the invention of SAFE technology and such as it has helped me teach more people (my son and others) to fly. I know a lot of people talk bad about the "SAFE" technology, and that's fine but I think it has it's place. Nothing is accomplished by a green pilot "over controlling" a plane in a stressed situation and burying it wings deep into the ground. (my $.02 on that)

LM
    Last edited by lazermule; 04-23-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Typos and additions
    Lazermule
    2018 Reflection 220RK
    2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins 6 spd QC 4X4
    2017 Alumacraft Competitor 175

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure all of you know about the Joe Nall event at Woodruff, SC. Its the largest RC event in the world, over 1600 pilots on five fields. Starts May 10th for 10 days. I go every year and camp.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    Not sure all of you know about the Joe Nall event at Woodruff, SC. Its the largest RC event in the world, over 1600 pilots on five fields. Starts May 10th for 10 days. I go every year and camp.
    Hey, look for me there. I'm the flight line CD at the 3D line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great hobby. I've been active in model aircraft for over 60 years. Now that I am mostly retired I enjoy building and flying giant scale rc prop and jet aircraft (min of 80" wing span). In the past I would attend many RC events on the east coast. Just about all of them were canceled this year. My wife and I will do this winter in Florida with our 5th wheel. I will squeeze a few models in my Solitude's pass through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corsair David Hart.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	30220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1199.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	30221
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrown597 View Post
    Just wondering if there are any RC Pilots/Builders here. Looking to travel to a couple of events next year.
    I do if you count realflight 8. Been thinking about transitioning to a real rc. Anyone have any recommendations of a good trainer plane that's capable of a bit of aerobatics? Based on how often I crash using realflight I'm leaning towards a multiplex parkmaster 3d.

Thx.

Fred

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horizon hobbies Apprentice. I don't recomend trying ot on your own unless you are very good with realflight and you can land on the runway every time.

A nice feature is that it has "Save Mode" with a flip of a switch it will quickly fly straight and level even if upside down. Also in beginner mode it wll not let the plane do extreme banks or pitch up or down more than about 10°. Most beginners tend to over control.

Horizon Hobbies are also pretty good with spare parts if you bang it up.

If you PM me I can give you a 10% discount code iI won't be using. Its good till the end of the year.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been at it since the 70's. More an addiction than a hobby! LOL
    This is the main reason we selected a Solitude 374TH. The garage works perfectly as my hanger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0127.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	30233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2767.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	30234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3805.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	30235
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful models. I’m in Vegas staying at a RV resort for six weeks. Been to hot to fly. Only have room for a couple foamies.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast