User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing the Tire Rack article said is ST tire are rated for 65 MPH. 8800 lbs. is about 70% of an "E" rated tire and I would think that would be okay at 80 psi and 65 mph. When I ran E rated tires I was at 11,000+ so was at 90% and more. Could be the reason so many E rated tires fail. The "G" rated tires I run are 4,400 lbs. each. So at 12,000 lbs. axle you would be around 68%.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran across these tires from Hercules... https://simpletire.com/hercules-225-...SABEgI6rPD_BwE .

The interesting thing is that they are F load range, but fit on a 15" rim. The Hercules brand seems to have generally positive reviews, although not too many. The advantage for me is that I do not have to buy new rims, at least I think that is an advantage.

Anyone on this thread have first hand experience?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    The responses here have spurred further searching, and I ran across this post at RVSAFETY... https://rvsafety.com/articles/writte...lation-ratings . Here is the part that caught my eye...

Note: Towable – Travel Trailer/ 5th Wheel owners Due to the sever use conditions experienced by tires when axles are very close together – tire industry experts recommend maximum (sidewall) inflation pressure for towable tires unless this causes a sever over-inflation situation (20psi+), often referred to as the ‘basketball effect’. If this is your situation allow a 10 – 15psi safety margin above the minimum required inflation pressure.

...this makes complete sense to me. What I take from this is to use a tire's inflation chart to match load and psi; then add 10-15 lbs, but do not exceed the sidewall rating. All this predicated on knowing what weight is on the tire, which I do, having had it weighed at the rally a few months ago. So using Sailun's chart as an example, and working with a tire weight of 2600lbs, I get 50 psi. Adding 15 lbs takes me up to 65 psi. I think this will give me the benefits of a G rated tire, but avoid the problems of an overinflated tire's impact and wear to the trailer. The Morryde IS comes with shocks also, so that would be added control.

Is there a flaw in my thinking?
    I agree with this but on the paragraph prior to this one on the website. I might add 5 psi to the recommended pressure table, but not 10-15. I replaced my D rated tires with E rated tires and I use the Goodyear tables and run at 65 psi. If I added 15 psi I would be a max inflation pressure of the tire and would defeat the advantage of matching load to tire pressure. Also the Goodyear tables are absolute for cold inflation pressure. To be certain of this approach, it would be good to know the weight on each individual tire. By my moving from D to E ratings at the same pressure of 65psi gives me 400lb of additional load capacity so I use the chart as is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rv_inflation.pdf  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to put the Morryde IS and disc brakes on my 303RLS in May (12,000 GVW). I currently have the 15" wheels/tires from the factory. I plan to use a 16x6.6 8x6.5 rim rated at 3640 lbs. G rated tires (ST235/80R16) seem to run about 4100 lbs capacity vs 3500 lbs for the same size but load range E. Even using load range E tires would give me a large weight cushion. So my question for the community is when does it make sense to go to G rated tires; i.e. how heavy a load to really justify the expense?

Thanks.
    You're spending big bucks with MorRyde - ask them - They are the experts

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to put the Morryde IS and disc brakes on my 303RLS in May (12,000 GVW). I currently have the 15" wheels/tires from the factory. I plan to use a 16x6.6 8x6.5 rim rated at 3640 lbs. G rated tires (ST235/80R16) seem to run about 4100 lbs capacity vs 3500 lbs for the same size but load range E. Even using load range E tires would give me a large weight cushion. So my question for the community is when does it make sense to go to G rated tires; i.e. how heavy a load to really justify the expense?

Thanks.
    John303,
    You should definitely ask MORryde for suggestions on moving from E rated to G rated tires and what they would recommend. If you purchase Goodyear tires, use their inflation chart. They are the experts on tires.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12