User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running them on two different trailers now and very happy with them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case anyone is curious, according to my highly accurate and scientific bathroom scale (not!) there is a 4.5lb difference between the Westlake 235/80R16 10 ply tire and the Goodyear Endurance 235/80R16 10 ply tire. So I just added 18lbs of additional unsprung weight to my trailer.

Cost me $50 to have all four tires mounted and balanced at Walmart. (I removed and installed them on the trailer.)

Nothing remarkable or significant---just thought someone may want to know these numbers.
    Last edited by howson; 01-09-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: change "14 ply" to correct "10 ply"
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you take them to walmart? Did you pull one set of tires on some leveling blocks and remove the other axles two tires? And do only two at a time at walmart?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G3502800 View Post
    How did you take them to walmart? Did you pull one set of tires on some leveling blocks and remove the other axles two tires? And do only two at a time at walmart?
    Two at a time. I put the spare on and (using the truck's 4 ton bottle jack with a piece of 2x4 as a buffer) left the second "in the air" while Walmart did their thing.

To see how I jacked the trailer look at @Rob's PDF on how he does it: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...highlight=jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Two at a time. I put the spare on and (using the truck's 4 ton bottle jack with a piece of 2x4 as a buffer) left the second "in the air" while Walmart did their thing.

To see how I jacked the trailer look at @Rob's PDF on how he does it: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...highlight=jack
    Thanks, appreciate the tips. Spare tire is smart. I started before seeing this. I'm half way through the process now. $700 is quite a sting (got the road coverage from discount tire etc), but I'll drive happier with the goodyears on there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181217_131924.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	16781
    2019 F350 SRW w/equalizer hitch
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G3502800 View Post
    ... but I'll drive happier with the goodyears on there.
    Yep, I changed mine for the peace of mind, too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I see these tire threads I always wonder why NOBODY replaces the spare. When I do mine they are All getting done no reason to keep 1 questionable tire IMHO.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    Every time I see these tire threads I always wonder why NOBODY replaces the spare. When I do mine they are All getting done no reason to keep 1 questionable tire IMHO.
    Go one better . . . and buy a matching aluminum wheel. Then when you replace the tires, buy 5 and you have 5 identical wheel/tire sets. Then, if you need to use the spare, you can leave it on the axle and put the repaired/replaced tire/wheel back on the spare hanger. This is what I did . . . and I have put the spare tire/wheel combo into service twice. Once for a bad valve stem and once (on a different tire) for a nail puncture. Both found by my TPMS BTW.

If you rotate your trailer tires (which I do) use a 5 tire rotation pattern . . . remembering where the lowest mileage spare went into service.

BTW, it is amazing how many folks have never lowered their spare . . . meaning that they have never checked the spare tire air pressure because GDRV loads the spare with the valve up. I have talked with owners who have had their trailer for 3 years or more and never checked the spare tire pressure!

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Go one better . . . and buy a matching aluminum wheel. Then when you replace the tires, buy 5 and you have 5 identical wheel/tire sets. Then, if you need to use the spare, you can leave it on the axle and put the repaired/replaced tire/wheel back on the spare hanger. This is what I did . . . and I have put the spare tire/wheel combo into service twice. Once for a bad valve stem and once (on a different tire) for a nail puncture. Both found by my TPMS BTW.

If you rotate your trailer tires (which I do) use a 5 tire rotation pattern . . . remembering where the lowest mileage spare went into service.

BTW, it is amazing how many folks have never lowered their spare . . . meaning that they have never checked the spare tire air pressure because GDRV loads the spare with the valve up. I have talked with owners who have had their trailer for 3 years or more and never checked the spare tire pressure!

Rob
    Never thought of getting an rim for the spare. What did that cost? I have had metal stems put on all my tires so the spare to was changed and I put it back so the stem is down and I can check the pressure. Never rotate either.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    Never thought of getting an rim for the spare. What did that cost? I have had metal stems put on all my tires so the spare to was changed and I put it back so the stem is down and I can check the pressure. Never rotate either.
    GDRV gets their tires and wheels from Lionshead. https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com/Wheels I got my spare wheel while at a Rally in Indiana several years ago. Price was under $100. Check the GDRV parts list for your specific wheel and then with Lionshead for price/availability/vendor.

Lionshead recommends an X pattern rotation. I do this with a substitution of the spare to the position with the lowest tread depth. (If there is one)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast