User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Howard - I'm very intrigued by this idea. I also use the Blue Ox system and this would be a novel approach to installing the spring bars in a more user friendly manner.

But I do have a concern. The way the Blue Ox system is utilized, the chain brackets capture the chain just a few inches above the spring bars. This prevents the chains from pivoting away from the A-frame, which aids in dampening sway. I don't have access to Blue Ox's engineering data, but my intuition tells me that using the Pro-Pride jacks could allow for more chain and spring bar movement which could allow a sway situation to develop. If you pursue this, it will be interesting to see if there are any detrimental effects from the modification. I wonder what mechanical engineer Rob @Cate&Rob thinks?

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Howard - I'm very intrigued by this idea. I also use the Blue Ox system and this would be a novel approach to installing the spring bars in a more user friendly manner.

But I do have a concern. The way the Blue Ox system is utilized, the chain brackets capture the chain just a few inches above the spring bars. This prevents the chains from pivoting away from the A-frame, which aids in dampening sway. I don't have access to Blue Ox's engineering data, but my intuition tells me that using the Pro-Pride jacks could allow for more chain and spring bar movement which could allow a sway situation to develop. If you pursue this, it will be interesting to see if there are any detrimental effects from the modification. I wonder what mechanical engineer Rob @Cate&Rob thinks?

Jim
    I wonder if that's why Pro Pride utilizes a bar instead of a chain to connect the chain to the spring bar (as shown in @fishnub's pictures in post #6 in this thread)?

Easy enough to change that, too. Both Pro Pride's bar and Blue Ox's chain attaches to the weight distribution bar with a U bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bar.JPG  
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard and Jim:

I have never towed with a WDH . . . but, since Jim asked . . .

The vertical flat bar connection bars appear to run against a rub strip near the base of the jack. This might be to limit the “free length” of the connection to the weight distribution bars and the frame to something similar to the original chain length. If lateral movement of the flat bar connectors allows sway, it would not be difficult to fabricate retaining slots to be welded to the existing rub strips to prevent lateral motion outward as well as inward.

This certainly does look like an operator friendly and infinitely adjustable method of connecting and tensioning the bars.

Edit: An additional thought . . . tensioning chains across that rub bar is not going to be a very “smooth” operation . . . I can see why they use smooth flat bar links.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 11-29-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Met with an Owner Today

So I met with a gentleman that owns a Pro Pride 3P today. We looked over his setup and chatted for well over an hour.

1) The Pro Pride bars are situated significantly lower than the Blue Oxs. I don't have a comparison picture as of now, but I'll attempt to get a picture tomorrow and update this thread.

2) One of common complaints is the shear pin breaking at the top of the bar tensioning mechanism. If owners with 1,400lb bars are having issues, I am doubtful it will hold the 2,000lb Blue Ox at the tension I need (the equivalent of 10 links) with the Goldwing in the bed of my truck.

This is shot with the top of the jack mechanism off looking straight down. Note the shear pin.

3) The Blue Ox chain doesn't fit. Easy enough to overcome , though, with a replacement chain.

4) Oddly enough, another complaint is the "U" on the lift mechanism can bend under stress. I was very surprised to hear that can be an issue. Again, not conducive to use with 2K bars.

CONCLUSION: The concept in the OP is valid, but I am not going to use the Pro Pride mechanisms. I'm going to keep looking--there's got to be something I can do to make it easier to add and release tension from my Blue Ox bars. (And I'm going to double-check to make sure the dealer set my Blue Ox up correctly. Maybe it's wrong and that's why I have so much trouble.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the follow up Howard. BTW, I'm using the Blue Ox 2000# set up on the 9th link. If you need any photos or measurements, let me know.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12