User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www/free-holddodge/ram-2500-v...ee-hold-nj.htm ok this was the web site I was looking at

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, they mention the "The Ram 2500 has an additional engine option, a 6.4L HEMI® V8 that delivers 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque. It's a good middle ground between the standard V8 and the turbodiesel engine.".

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Ah yes, they mention the "The Ram 2500 has an additional engine option, a 6.4L HEMI® V8 that delivers 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque. It's a good middle ground between the standard V8 and the turbodiesel engine.".

Cheers
    Tim
    But this option would be a gasoline guzzling engine, not a Cummins diesel. I'm sure it comes in about $8000 less than the Cummins, which could be a viable option for someone who does not intend to put a lot of miles on the truck.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    But this option would be a gasoline guzzling engine, not a Cummins diesel. I'm sure it comes in about $8000 less than the Cummins, which could be a viable option for someone who does not intend to put a lot of miles on the truck.
    The “gasoline guzzling” part is kind of old news. Gasoline engines are now getting about 15% lower towing MPG than diesels. Which is about the difference in energy content between a gallon of diesel and a gallon of gasoline. With the current price premium on diesel, MP$ is about equal.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The “gasoline guzzling” part is kind of old news. Gasoline engines are now getting about 15% lower towing MPG than diesels. Which is about the difference in energy content between a gallon of diesel and a gallon of gasoline. With the current price premium on diesel, MP$ is about equal.

Rob
    Exactly. On a summer trip from Tx to Co we averaged about 3mp$. Fuel was the single largest expense on the trip. The only real advantage I see is the extra torque diesel provides , and this line is blurring a bit as well. No tall grades or no heavy weight? The larger gas engines will probably do the job fine.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny you should mention that, I was originally only referring that I could not find a V8 Diesel in Ram yet but I did find a bigger gas V8.

However the gas vs Diesel thing... your right it has totally changed:

We did a group trip to Myrtle this year from Southern Ontario through the mountains of WV/VA etc.

Mine was my poor Ram 1500 most certainly over payload and a loaded Imagine 2800BH. My buddy has as new GMC 2500HD All-terrain with Diesel toying a big Starcraft around 36-37 feet (10k trailer).

After we got back we compared gas, mine was roughly $1000 Canadian for the 5.7 Hemi with 8 speed tranny and his was $800 with the 2500 Diesel. But that did not include DEF which he had to add a few times.

The 5.7 Hemi was no issue in the mountains, it plenty of power and I could drag race up inclines if I wanted (not that I did lol). However I sure would have preferred a nice 2500/3500 with a torquey Diesel and jake brake.

We were shocked at how close the gas was but right now Diesel is horribly priced compared to Gas when it used to be so much cheaper.

—-

That being said, I’d be shocked if my next truck is not a 3500 Diesel :-)

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reflection 29RS tow vehicle

Once you go diesel you never want to go back. Easy for me to say since my 2012 Ram 2500 is pre DEF. I never liked towing hills with my gasser hunting gears or down shifting. Also like the braking ability of my exhaust break. I live in the Sacramento area, so I don’t live in the mountains, but I do the sierras to Lake Tahoe a few times a year, and over to Bodega Bay or SF Bay Area over some decent short grades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I filled my DEF tank a few weeks ago at a Pilot station. Cost me about $13 and change. I refill it about once every 3-4 months, maybe less. No big deal at all to me. The active regeneration on the other hand does seem to hurt fuel mileage, but there is no way that I can tell when it's actually happening.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the 6.4 is a gas v8. It's what I bought a couple months ago as a needed upgrade for my Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Since it's a gasser, it has more payloadc than a 2500 Cummins, just under 3000 lbs. This is more than enough for us now and the foreseeable future. Makes pulling our 2800bh a pleasure rather than a chore.

Big plus....I'm a member of the Two Time TV club����
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123