User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reflection 29RS tow vehicle

I have an imagine 2600 right now but would like to get a 5th wheel the 29RS was looking at tow vehicles so I was wondering which is the best truck for the job was looking at the chevy 2500 but was told that the dodge 2500 can tow more any feedback would be appreciated

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loriroy View Post
    I have an imagine 2600 right now but would like to get a 5th wheel the 29RS was looking at tow vehicles so I was wondering which is the best truck for the job was looking at the chevy 2500 but was told that the dodge 2500 can tow more any feedback would be appreciated
    Good afternoon, Loriroy. Moderator Howard here. I've moved your post to the Should I get a _______? section so your question gets the visibility it deserves. If there's one topic we love to discuss here on this forum it is tow vehicles (TVs).

If you've happened to read any of my earlier posts on this topic you'll know I am quite passionate about the subject because I got it so wrong I became a charter member in this forum's TwoTimeTV Club. It's not a club you want to join, trust me!

Based on the mistake I made with a truck purchase, may I make a suggestion? Check out https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ity-Calculator and all the links in the first post. (Last page of the book: it's payload that gets us every time, not tow capacity!)

I hope you'll take the time to use all the resources in that post. If you do you'll be able to determine yourself if a TV has the capability to tow (and haul) your trailer of choice without relying on anyone's opinion (including truck and trailer salespeople). It will take some effort, but it is worth it to really understand how the numbers all work. Once you've got that part down choosing a truck will be based on your personal preference--all of the Big 3 seem to be good for 5th wheel towing.

Good luck!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a chevy 3500 works well, but I like to have a little bigger truck for the job. I prefer not to be at the edge of the limits.

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loriroy - Brian (Country Campers) and I are on opposite ends of this discussion . . . (which has not stopped us from becoming friends BTW ). I think you can push any of the new trucks to their published ratings. This might not have been true a few years back when every manufacturer measured their trucks differently. I tow a 5th wheel about the same size as Brian’s with a (Heavy Payload) F150.

Remember that somewhere between 75% and 95% of the miles on your truck will be not towing. Consider which is the “right” truck for this usage.

You can tow more 5th wheel than TT with a given truck because the weight is up over the axle rather than on a bumper hitch. A lot also depends on the powertrain you are thinking of. Many will tell you that you “must” have a diesel to haul a 5th wheel. A diesel power train is heavy and expensive to buy and to maintain. I happen to think that a gasoline engine is a good match for the 10,000 lb 5th wheel you are considering. If you go with the gasoline powertrain, either of the 3/4 ton trucks you are considering will have more than enough payload. If you want a diesel, you would be best to step up to a one ton truck, to have sufficient payload.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are already upgrading from a TT to a small 5er so if it was me I would purchase a 1-ton SRW and be prepared for the next upgrade because it could be sooner than you think. Pick your brand they will all work.

Quote Originally Posted by Loriroy View Post
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am towing wright now wiyh a 2017 tundra crewmax when I started looking at TT the dealer was trying to sell us the half ton towable but then when I checked the weight and pin weights I knew I couldn't do it I did use that spread sheet forgot about it thanks for all the feedback

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howson is a member of the Two-Time TV club and I am the charter member and president of the Three-time TV Club. You're going to get a lot of different opinions on the TV all have merit. However I will suggest that you take a few minutes and think about the next move. We started with a Jayco 32BHS and towed first with a Chevy 1500 Z71 and it towed great in perfect weather, but not so good in rain and wind. Since we almost always had the grand girls with us I decided to go up to a Chevy 2500HD Z71 4X4 diesel and it towed the Jayco great. But alas, the DW decided that the Jayco didn't have enough room for all of the family and wanted a 5th wheel, so we went with a GD Reflection 311BHS (36' 10"") and about 11,000 lbs empty (empty is a bad word to the DW). We towed the Reflection for about a year with the 2500HD and I'll say the ride wasn't bad. There was a lot of push and bumping when stopping and starting but on the open road it handled well. Long story short, I took the 2500HD in for an oil change and my son - who works at the dealership - told me that they had just got in a good used 3500HD 4x4 dually diesel. I got it and what a difference it made in towing. Lot more stable, not pushing and bumping and a better inside ride. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting a 3500HD when I got the 2500HD (they had one that was only $2,000 more than the 2500).

Anyway, you have to decide where your going to travel (long or short distances) and will the TV be enough if you decide to upgrade to a bigger 5th wheel. With the 3500HD (and the DW retiring in the spring) we are planning several long trips and except for the gas mileage I'll feel much better towing with a 3500HD that I would with the 2500HD.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ram 2500 diesel and was considering upgrading to the 29RS. It's basically the same floor plan as my 297RSTS. When I ran the numbers, and accounted for the weight of the hitch, driver, passengers, and conservative pin weight for the trailer, I didn't see how I could stay below the Ram's ~2500# payload. I estimate that I would be over the truck's GVWR by 200-300 lbs. While that might not be a real big deal, if you are buying the truck anyway, get a 3500 SRW as recommended above and know that you have the capacity to handle that trailer. I certainly wish I had been thinking further ahead and gotten the 3500.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what everyone about the 3500 of course you can pull bigger and more but I was just looking at what the dodge 2500 6.4L V8 Diesel it pulls 3000 more then the 5.7LHemi so the 6.4 can tow up to16,320 and what im reading it also says it max s out at17,980 with the 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling is not the answer to all questions. The payload sticker on the door jam drivers side is what determines the hauling capacity of the truck.
    The 3500 recommendation from me was for the heavier pay load as well as a heavier weight truck to handle the load being pulled.
    Any truck can pull almost anything, but the safety factor is the key element.

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast