Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Jim,

I like the rotations scale idea on the equalizer. On my Prodigy P3 I can set the max voltage to the brakes (as can be done on most controllers) and it displays the voltage and it can also display the current.

The GoPro could be positioned to see the scale and the front tire so you would know if the tire stopped rotating. I would initially set the brake controller to the point of just before tire lock-up, run to some speed rotate the manual control on the controller and see if the front tire lifted/stopped turning. If tire didn't lift, then done. If it did then start making the chart with different voltage/currents to the point of tire not lifting.

Then the interesting part of setting to normal operating voltage. If the controller normal driving voltage setting is lower than the tire lift voltage then I guess no problem. If normal driving voltage is greater than the tire lift voltage then how often do you get to that voltage? Then it would be interesting to see under normal driving conditions how often the tire lift voltage/current is exceeded.

I don't have a GoPro. Can a GoPro be externally triggered to start filming, like a signal going to a high or low condition?
    Pat,
    I have an older GoPro that can operate from an app but the signal to the back of my rig was too weak so I just push the button on the GoPro where it will run until the card is full. So there is plenty of time to capture each test. Its colder than a witches broom here in Michigan so I will need to wait until spring or some of our warm weather friends could maybe do the testing.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

Giving your question a bit more thought, I thought I would add one more concept to the picture. Over Slung vs Under Slung Springs. Have manufactures gone more toward Over Slung in the last few years so they don't have wheel wells taking up trailer space or blocking the ability to have slide-outs?
    Hi Pat,

I think you have hit on a key observation in the larger “how did we get here?” question. The conventional linked tandem suspension makes sense with under slung springs, but the “easy” change to over slung to gain ride height lost the basic engineering that went into the original design.

So . . . now I’m thinking . . . what linkage could we come up with to control this equalizer wrap?? I do like the idea of independent trailing slipper springs . . . Hmmm.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen the video, what I haven’t been able to find the specifics of the trailer in the video. Things I would like to know are weight on each axle, severity of the stop, speed, and surface.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some thoughts.....My hunch is that the video is worst case with hard braking at low speed and that horizontal forces may change the geometry at higher speeds. My guess is that if this was as significant as it seems from the video we’d all be rotating tires to make up for scuffing that happened on the front tires as the lifted and when they touched the road again. We’d also see little puffs of smoke from the front tires routinely.

With drum brakes, as the front wheel lifts, the brakes would start to release, but disk brakes would probably experience a dramatic skid as the weight came off that wheel.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Pat,
    I have an older GoPro that can operate from an app but the signal to the back of my rig was too weak so I just push the button on the GoPro where it will run until the card is full. So there is plenty of time to capture each test. Its colder than a witches broom here in Michigan so I will need to wait until spring or some of our warm weather friends could maybe do the testing.
    Hey Jim,

Not expecting any imediate or any solutions by anyone, just putting the info out there. But if someone wants to take on the task that would be cool.

BTW, finally getting rain in Northern California, so no worries about fires anymore.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What great information and observations! The conversations appear to revolve around the Lippert system. Would these same dynamics apply to either the Dexter or Morryde (not IS)?
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Hmmmm slippers...., 4 link, trailing air bags, ????
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    I’ve seen the video, what I haven’t been able to find the specifics of the trailer in the video. Things I would like to know are weight on each axle, severity of the stop, speed, and surface.
    And nose up or nose down would make a difference. Nose up would agrivate the issue.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Hmmmm slippers...., 4 link, trailing air bags, ????
    Pat . . . I do like the way you think “outside the box” .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    What great information and observations! The conversations appear to revolve around the Lippert system. Would these same dynamics apply to either the Dexter or Morryde (not IS)?
    Lyle,

Yes the reaction would be the same.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast