User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Swapping tires

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never heard of centramatic balancers so had to look them up and watched a video. Using those ball bearings to offset the imbalance is pretty dang smart. Wished I had thought of that🧐. They are pricey but would consider using them. Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I like Discount Tire as well but they are the ones that stripped out two of the studs on our wheels. This is why I'm bringing the wheels in from now on rather than my 5th wheel.
    They once failed to completely secure a center wheel cap on my new pickup. It came off after they had rotated the tires. The store manager bought me a new cap, no questions asked. I have had a couple of FUBARS with them over the years but they've overall been more than fair, rotate and balance all my tires even on new cars and fix all my flats for free. Never had an issue though on any of the trailer tires or installs.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Been taking all my various trailers to Discount Tire for many years and I've never once had an issue with anything.
    Recently, I took my trailer to Discount for replacement tires. I had to stop the installer who positioned his floor jack in the center of the axle tube and was trying to lift both tires on that axle off the ground. It was just inexperience.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Recently, I took my trailer to Discount for replacement tires. I had to stop the installer who positioned his floor jack in the center of the axle tube and was trying to lift both tires on that axle off the ground. It was just inexperience.

Jim
    What are the correct jacking points?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    What are the correct jacking points?
    The Dexter axle owner's manual states "Follow the trailer manufacturer's manual". The Solitude owner's manual states the following:

Although it goes against the owner's manual, many of us have successfully jacked up a tire by placing a jack under the spring perch area of an axle. What you don't want to do is jack up the trailer in the middle of the axle tube. It can crush the axle tube or change the camber (bend) in the axle and cause serious tire and safety issues.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense. Thanks.

ETA: I'll also RTFM before asking obvious questions again. Most of the time.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remove my own tires and take them down to the tire shop to have them mounted and balanced. Several years back I allowed a shop to do my tires. A short time later I went to remove the tires to do a brake job and bearing repack. I could not get the lug nuts off with a tire iron. The jackasses had put them on with an impact wrench so tight that I had to use a breaker bar and about four feet of iron pipe for leverage to break the lug nuts loose. Had I needed to take these off on the side of the road, I would have been screwed. So, never again, I do it myself. Also, anytime I get my truck worked on I make it clear that I do not want an impact wrench used to tighten the lug nuts, this is not NASCAR. I tell them I want the mechanic to use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts and have the torque setting documented in the paperwork. Not going to be stuck on the side of the road with a tire I cannot remove.

DAN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    Makes you wonder how they train these people. Very disappointing to hear.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to your challenge I am running Hercules (Cooper Tires) H-901 G rated All Steel, puncture resistant tires on our 300GK. No info or forums available as this is also a new tire... Not cheap $ 250. ish... ++. Max tire pressure is 104psi (I'm running at 90psi) and the tires can be re-grooved...
    I have only 1000 miles on them so far, so can't give any long term info (yet). Trailer rides just as nice as the Westlake E's did.. I pulled the WL's off after 5000 miles just because, though, I felt they were just fine on the 300GK as it's only weighing in around 13.4k... Any who, Just my two bits... Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2268.jpg  
    Chuck & Cat
    2015 Ford 250 King Ranch
    2017 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    metrofxr, I'm new to this site. This is my first post. We bought the Hercules H-901 for our 2019 Grand Design Reflection 29-RS, GVWR 10,995, 5200# axles. The takeoffs were in very good condition but I have pulled trailers for many years (worked in cargo trailer manufacturing industry for 14 years) and have witnessed the aftermath of trailer/camper tire failures. Therefore, we decided to purchase the Hercules based on recommendation from a trusted friend and cargo trailer dealer that sells and services trailers for customers including several fleet customers. A specific fleet customer (landscape industry) had over a dozen landscape trailers, had many tire failures, purchased the Hercules and the tire problems went away. This testimony sold me on the Hercules. Now, to my question.. I took off LRE tires with the recommended pressures of 80 psi. The Hercules rating on the side of the tires states 105 psi, you're running 95. The aluminum wheels are rated for 3300# per wheel. The Hercules tires are rated for 3970# per tire. I have been running 85 psi in the Hercules. I just bought a Tire Traker TT-600 TPMS and was getting back to determining the proper PSI for the Hercules H-901s. Have you had any issues with running 95 PSI? I'm also thinking about running 95-100 PSI.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast