User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical Question

Would it be ok to back feed electric thru the outlet by the nautilus panel?
    I was thinking if this was ok I would not have to buy an adaptor RO go from 50 amp to 15 amp-110 plug.
    I would only use this to keep battery topped off and maybe run some light thru the inverter.
    Just get tired of getting out the big 50 cord at home when not needed.

Hoping for the electrical geniuses to give there 2 watts worth.

Thanks
    Brian

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I was thinking if this was ok I would not have to buy an adaptor RO go from 50 amp to 15 amp-110 plug.
    I would only use this to keep battery topped off and maybe run some light thru the inverter.

Thanks
    Brian
    NO. To connect to an 15 amp outlet you would need a cord with male plugs on both ends. That’s very risky to have a live male spades exposed. That’s called a suicide cord.

I use this https://www.amazon.com/ABN-15A-50A-P...dp/B01L2BLV9E/ on the trailer input and just Plug in a standard 15 amp cord to the trailer. I use it at the storage facility and at home when loading for a trip and to cool down the refrigerator before loading food. No need to pull out the heavy 50 amp cord.

The pictures below are actual pictures of our Reflection plugged into a standard 15 amp receptical at our storage facility. It keeps the battery charged and we can run slides, TV, fridge, etc. everything except the high current draw items like they AC, water heater on electric or fireplace heater.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend the adapter, $30.

If you did that with a suicide cord, I'd trip the main breaker to keep voltage off the incoming 50A inlet contacts.
    The outlet would need to be on same leg(L1 or L2) as the converter is.
    That outlet is probably feed by the GFCI outlet Load terminals. Back feeding would be like miswiring the GFCI Line/Load terminals.
    I read it'll work backwards, just doesn't work as intended - https://www.ecmweb.com/content/think-gfci
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 50amp female to 15amp male with a 90* strain relief.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took an old 30 amp extension and wired the trailer side 50 amp cord end onto it. Its way lighter than the big 50 amp 4 wire shore cord, and perfect for plugging it in to just top off the batteries or even if I am camping without A/C.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post

Thanks
    Brian
    Mystified by the thread title, "Electrical Question."
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link Jerry. My husband has been looking for a short 30A-50A adapter so we're ordering it along with a 30A cord. It's gonna be nice not having to carry the heavy 50A cord when we travel and don't need the AC.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    Thanks for the link Jerry. My husband has been looking for a short 30A-50A adapter so we're ordering it along with a 30A cord. It's gonna be nice not having to carry the heavy 50A cord when we travel and don't need the AC.
    I don't like extra connections, if you're interested in the lighter cord and don't feel comfortable making your own like I did, here's one for sale. No adapter needed then. Conntek 14435 RV Power Cord, RV 30-Amp to 50 Amp Locking (25 Feet) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00269HEKM..._fpmaCb94AVEX7
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    A 50amp female to 15amp male with a 90* strain relief.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just a caution on 90* adapters . . . others on this forum have had problems with these if they happen to not be an exact 90* drop when twist locked into the trailer. The weight of the cord can work to loosed the connection. I would go with the straight in adapter in Jerry’s pictures.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Just a caution on 90* adapters . . . others on this forum have had problems with these if they happen to not be an exact 90* drop when twist locked into the trailer. The weight of the cord can work to loosed the connection. I would go with the straight in adapter in Jerry’s pictures.

Rob
    I di notice it does not sit at exactly 90*. I was able to tighten the twist lock so that it stays put but if I run into any trouble I'll replace it. Thanks for the heads up.

-jeff
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast