User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another alternative;

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-15435...s=15435-MEC2RE

We have one of these for 30 AMP sites and also it works great for Generator use. The 45 degree angle plug on the 50 AMP side (coach side) works really well and gives you some strain relief. After using this cord I ordered a 12' - 50 AMP cord for use at our seasonal site with the 45 plug and then ordered just a plug and replaced the female side of the factory cord.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 Degree - 30 AMP Cord.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	16630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD Power Cord.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	16631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD Power Cord Close.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	16632
    Del & Vickie
    2016 Reflection 337
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD w/Hips - 4WD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Everyone,
    This may be a dumb question but my background is carpenter, not electrician, and all I know about electricity is you hire the professionals. And this is really not an RV question but here goes. We have a detached garage in S. Carolina that is insured as a residence and as such had to use arc fault breakers. I can't run my chop saw, table saw and a lot of other tools because when you pull the trigger, the breaker registers the arc and trips. EVERY time. I have a dedicated panel for our camper with 50 amp, 30 amp, and 20 amp service. The 20 amp is required to be a GFI and it too trips. If I use a 30 amp male to 20 amp female adapter I am still running on 30 amps. Is that correct? And I was always taught to never plug into a higher rated breaker than the tool was built for. Looking for guidance.

Thanks,
    Russ

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibbs183 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    If I use a 30 amp male to 20 amp female adapter I am still running on 30 amps. Is that correct? And I was always taught to never plug into a higher rated breaker than the tool was built for. Looking for guidance.

Thanks,
    Russ
    Yes you'd be supplying 30A to a 20A rated cord that wouldn't be protected properly.

Wonder if a 15A 12/3 extension cord with built in circuit breaker would be enough capacity for what you want to power.
    I see Alert Stamping makes 12/3 cords with circuit breakers at the end of the cord, that should trip off power to the connected devices to prevent overloading the cord.
    https://www.amazon.com/Alert-Stampin.../dp/B000LNOAD4
    https://alertstamping.com/product-ca...ker-protected/

RIDGID has an adapter with a circuit breaker that's intended for generator's 240V.

My storage building AFCI's are twitchy also. (QO 20 Amp Single-Pole Dual Function (CAFCI and GFCI) Circuit Breaker)
    It appears these AFCI/GFCIs can be difficult to use in the garage or shop.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene, I think you found my answer. As many hours as I've spent in lumber yards and hardware stores, big and small, can you believe I don't think I've ever seen an extension cord with a breaker. I like that better than a power strip with a breaker as they can be quite finicky.
    Thank you. Problem solved.

Russ

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question here? To reduce this connection down to 15amp...I don't think your inverter will run off this low amperage? My concern is...will it charge your batteries with that 15 amp connection? If so...THATS AWESOME!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jburnes View Post
    Question here? To reduce this connection down to 15amp...I don't think your inverter will run off this low amperage? My concern is...will it charge your batteries with that 15 amp connection? If so...THATS AWESOME!
    It is enough power for the 120V to 12V converter and charges the batteries.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jburnes View Post
    I think you're asking if you can plug your trailer into a 15A circuit and will your battery charge if you do. If that's not your question, maybe you can retry asking it.

Yes, with the proper adapters for the power cord your 30A or 50A trailer can be plugged into a 15A circuit. As long as your trailer is not drawing more than 15A - running a microwave and fireplace at the same time would do it, or running an air conditioner would probably do it - then it will work fine.

Your "converter" (I think that's what you mean, since an inverter draws power from the 12V battery(ies) and makes 120V power with it) will run just fine on 15A and will charge the batteries.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12