User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I’m starting to feel confused. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would inflate to the side wall recommendation for max load at what ever psi is printed next.
    It is my belief that they print this on there for a reason. Not sure why they publish a paper that says you can run lower tire pressure for what ever load you are carrying.
    If somebody would have a flat trailer or some type of equipment trailer, if your were towing it with a few long boards on it you could run it at a very low pressure , then when you need to load it to max weight you would have to increase the tire pressure.
    Just my pennies worth (not worth much more than that).

Brian

Edit. If you are going to a higher load range tire and you are not going to inflate to max pressure for load, why go to a higher range tire?

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Well, for one thing, there is no argument.

Secondly, the engineers designed your coach with E range tires. GD then added the option to install Goodyear G614 tires. Since most dealers ordered the bigger coaches with the G's, they then went standard on Solitude and Momentum.

Since we are talking about a Reflection travel trailer, I still feel G range tires (no matter what brand) are overkill for the GVWR, especially at max pressure. Hopefully, they won't be over stiff and beat his trailer apart....
    My comments are directed at tire "mods" overall, not just the Reflection, point being that perhaps we should stop trying to be engineers. Like I said, I'm out of these tire threads, so it doesn't matter to me.

PS - I was just 30 years old with a full head of hair when I started getting involved in tire threads a mere 6 months ago. NOW look at me - half bald and 70.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to throw in my 2 cents...not an engineer, but I have had experience with "tires" on 5th wheels. We bought a new 2008 Sprinter Copper Canyon 5th wheel that came with (shudder) Mission ST235/80R16 tires. We ran them at the max load listing - 80psi. When I read the tales of the "China Bombs", I got a bit concerned. It seemed like every Mission tire was doomed to failure. I had those tires on my Copper Canyon for 7 years and then changed them to Carlisle Radial Trail HD's of the same size. The Mission showed no indications of poor wear, but their seven-year age told me it was time to replace them. I went to Carlisle because of my "concern" that I might have just been lucky with the Missions and I had read very good things about the new Carlisle tires. My first choice would have been Maxxis, but my dealer couldn't get them - they were pretty much on back-order. I towed my Copper Canyon for two years with the Carlisles before I purchased our 2018 Reflection 303RLS. This one has Westlakes and I am now reading the same stuff I was reading about Missions. I have TPMS units on my wheels and I'll continue to run them at the 80psi max and be mindful of the tire pressure/temperatures as I travel; I'll continue to keep the tires covered when the trailer sits in the driveway, but I'm not going to run out and buy new tires because some of them fail. I will continue to monitor the concerns on the forums and I will continue to be mindful of my tires and in a few years, I'll probably replace them with Carlisles or Sailuns, or Maxxis or Good Years, but I'm not going to do it today and I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed hat I don't have a set that are going to fail. I would be willing to bet that some Carlisles and Sailun and Maxxis and Good Years fail also.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This issue is really not hard to understand buy looking no further than the inflation tag on your TV. You will find that the recommended pressure is based on many factors and in every case I've ever seen, the pressure will be lower than the sidewall pressure listed on the tire. Why? Because a development engineer tested the vehicle to have the best ride, handling, cost and load carrying capability while not running on the edge of the tires capability.
    Now comes the RV industry who without any doubt does not do this engineering work but bases their choice of tire by only load carrying capacity and cost. This will in turn be at the max sidewall pressure listed on the tire.
    Next comes some folks, that wants a much better and more capable tire. They put on the next higher load capacity tire and pump them to the max sidewall pressure. Then usually beat their suspensions into submission. To move to the next highest load range tire will be fine but we should look to the inflation tables and air them according to load while enjoying a tire with additional strength and safety factor as was done on the TV.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sailun G rated tire is the one I've never heard a complaint on. Come to think about it, I heard of the first failure on a G614 recently.

But the Sailun's are so inexpensive compared to any other tire. They are not universally available at sticks and bricks tire stores, but you can get just about any tire delivered to you in one or two days in the country--via the internet purchase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 solitude 375re came with Westlake load range E. Been great so far. I’m not familiar with Sailun tires. My last 5th wheel had the Goodyear G614 load range G and I had great luck with them. I’m thinking about upgrading to a G load range.
    Any thoughts??
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a tire upgrade there is another option that is seldom discussed on this forum and that is an F rated 12 ply tire. I replaced the original ST235 80R 16 E rated Westlakes on our Reflection 367BHS (UVW = 12,250lbs and around 14,000lbs loaded) with Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235 85R 16 F rated tires. Additional height of tire is minimal and we still have plenty of clearance. No trouble after thousands of miles of travel and I keep them at the maximum pressure of 95psi. Seems that jumping up to G rated 14 ply tires is the most common upgrade here.

It is also worth mentioning that the original Westlakes are being used on a dump trailer in our business that had the same size E rated tires and are still doing fine.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    My 2016 solitude 375re came with Westlake load range E. Been great so far. I’m not familiar with Sailun tires. My last 5th wheel had the Goodyear G614 load range G and I had great luck with them. I’m thinking about upgrading to a G load range.
    Any thoughts??
    I think for the weight of your Solitude you should have at least "F" tires as stated above , "G" would not be a bad choice either. I believe the Solitude today come with "G" tires.

Brian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123