User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I had a hard time seeing my hitch from the drivers seat. In addition to recommendation for magnetisms guides I found this:
    http://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/5t...-solution.aspx

Thanks again!
    Ray Torrey
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    Dodge 2500 w/Cummings
    Pullrite Superglide 2700 hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerteam View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I had a hard time seeing my hitch from the drivers seat. In addition to recommendation for magnetisms guides I found this:
    http://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/5t...-solution.aspx

Thanks again!
    Never thought of putting a cone in the bed, great find! I like the cones with optional LEDs on top, those would be very helpful at night if trying to back into a spot; it certainly gives great reference points. These should be added to the Christmas wish list thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Never thought of putting a cone in the bed, great find! I like the cones with optional LEDs on top, those would be very helpful at night if trying to back into a spot; it certainly gives great reference points. These should be added to the Christmas wish list thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This cone is a less expensive and to your point does have the optional LED on top:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XNVYS9OI&psc=1
    Ray Torrey
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    Dodge 2500 w/Cummings
    Pullrite Superglide 2700 hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone reading this who might still be shopping for a hitch, a manual sliding hitch can be moved back to where it is easy to see out the back window of the truck. This also provides lots of room to open the tailgate of the truck or the front compartment of the 5th wheel at any angle. Hitching/unhitching can be done at any angle since there is no wedge to align like with an auto slider hitch.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Ditto...

Remove the center headrest and line up with a point.
    X3 on this approach. With the back center headrest removed, I can see the hitch plate in the inside rear view mirror. I drop the tailgate, back up while watching the hitch plate and pin box in the rear view mirror, and back right under the trailer. I usually stop just short of the pin box touching the hitch plate to make sure I've got the height of the trailer right - then finish backing under. The whole process takes less than two minutes. Be sure and leave all your wheel chocks in place until you're hitched, though, so you don't put stress on the landing gear.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hitch can't be seen from the driver's seat, the truck is tall enough the hitch is at it's lowest setting. There is a logo in the middle of the rear window. I sit to that logo is aligned with the center of the rear view mirror then aim the logo in the rear widow at the pin, no trying to look over my shoulder. I sometimes miss by an inch or so but the great majority of the time it hooks on the first try.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerteam View Post
    Wife and I are new owners of a Reflection 303RLS. Never pulled a trailer or FW before. We brought the FW from the dealer to storage facility this week. Today our plan was to practice hitching, driving inside the storage facility, parking, unhitching....and repeating several times.

What we found the most difficult and time consuming was lining up the tow vehicle hitch with the king pin. We used 2 way radios and it took 45-60 minutes (no exaggeration) each time to get the truck and trailer aligned where we could hitch-up. We would get within a few inches but not close enough to hitch. I'd pull the truck forward and try again and again. In 4 hours we only accomplished practicing the hitch, drive around and unhitch twice.

QUESTION: In addition to forum members responding with advise, are there any tools such as a laser to help align the hitch to the pin? I have a Ram 2500 with the rear window(?) camera, but it doesn't help much.
    Ray - until I got used to backing up (took a few hookups) on target to the pin, I inserted used a foot long piece of those 2 1/2" pool noodles into the head of our Superglide. Easy to reach in the box and stick into hitch head and easy to pull out when pin close enough to hitch.

I looked over my right shoulder leaning a bit to the right to have my vision centered rearward (and still do) but using the rear view mirror is an option too. This worked like a charm. Once I was close enough about 6" away I just pulled out the noodle and hook up was right on target.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray very good advise coming from all. I do use the magnetic yellow tennis balls as noted above when hitching my TT by myself. It just takes practice, hang in there you'll get it!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What SecondChance (Rob) said. Our first PDI the tech told me to just look in the rear view mirror and align the notch on the hitch with the little pin. Worked great, until I put a bike rack behind the window, now I couldn't see the hitch. So I took some white striping tape, made a line down the center of the hitch in line with the pin, then had DW in the bed of the pickup. While sitting comfortably in the driver seat I looked in the rear view mirror and had her move the striping left and right until it matched the stripe on the hitch. Worked ok.

With our new Momentum toy hauler bikes are inside so I have gone back to hitch notch to pin in rear view windows method.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were new to a fifth wheel and scared to death this time last year. After a month or so, practicing and listening to advice like is given above, it became almost second nature. As with others my wife has her duties while I am hitching but her last duty before we move is to ask..."is it locked and plugged in?"

All you need is practice!

Len

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast