User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP Needed - FW Hitching Technique

Wife and I are new owners of a Reflection 303RLS. Never pulled a trailer or FW before. We brought the FW from the dealer to storage facility this week. Today our plan was to practice hitching, driving inside the storage facility, parking, unhitching....and repeating several times.

What we found the most difficult and time consuming was lining up the tow vehicle hitch with the king pin. We used 2 way radios and it took 45-60 minutes (no exaggeration) each time to get the truck and trailer aligned where we could hitch-up. We would get within a few inches but not close enough to hitch. I'd pull the truck forward and try again and again. In 4 hours we only accomplished practicing the hitch, drive around and unhitch twice.

QUESTION: In addition to forum members responding with advise, are there any tools such as a laser to help align the hitch to the pin? I have a Ram 2500 with the rear window(?) camera, but it doesn't help much.
    Ray Torrey
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    Dodge 2500 w/Cummings
    Pullrite Superglide 2700 hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble. If you've got a spotter and two way radios and a rear window camera, that's about as good as it gets. It rarely takes us more than one try with just my wife spotting and no radios or camera. It sounds like you may just need more practice. It WILL get easier with practice. Hang in there!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people will paint a mark on the pin box and one on the tailgate to get it centered, just make sure to put the tailgate down before you get too close. I use my tailgate camera to center up, then put the tailgate down and lean up in my seat where I can watch the hitch coming near the pin. The marking method also works on a toolbox instead of the tailgate. I find a spotter complicates this part more than helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my RAM I removed the rear center headrest. I can lean over the console , use center point of window and opening on hitch plate. Use these two points to "aim" at kingpin. This puts me very close or right on in first attempt.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep practicing you’ll get the hang of it. I am not familiar with your truck or hitch but I will say that I hitch up by myself usually in just a minute or two. Bride is usually off taking care of other things. No camera on my 2011 in that position only in the tailgate for hitching up bumper pull stuff. Putting the rear seat down to clear the center headrest is definitely a help but often the kids and dog pile in prior to me getting to that point so I just push up a bit in the seat and I can see the capture plate and still get it done. I do love my B&W hitch and feel it is easy to work with so I don’t know if that is giving me an advantage here. Also tons of towing experience as I am in the construction business. Just take your time and figure out what works for you. You are wise to practice before hitting the road on trips, etc. Good luck and enjoy the new camper!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ray,

If you can’t see your hitch out the back window of the truck, there are magnetic hitch alignment indicators (primarily designed for bumper hitches) that you can attach to the pin box and the hitch, to help you see the alignment.

The alignment doesn’t have to be “exact”. The trailer landing gear should be set low enough that the hitch lifts the front of the trailer as it slides under the pin plate. This lifts the landing gear slightly off the ground allowing a small side-to-side shift of the front of the trailer without damaging anything.

I have also found that the steering adjustments are so fine that this is not a part of the operation where a spotter can provide much assistance.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    With my RAM I removed the rear center headrest. I can lean over the console , use center point of window and opening on hitch plate. Use these two points to "aim" at kingpin. This puts me very close or right on in first attempt.
    Ditto...

Remove the center headrest and line up with a point.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a little practice when backing up to the camper look at both side mirrors and get the same amount of camper sticking out both sides of the truck sides. I do not have a center head rest in the back and a roll up tonneau cover and I am tall enough I just look at the back window and can get right in line. Also I have the remote for the auto level so I can raise and lower as needed. As mentioned above make sure tailgate is down.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray, I painted a white strip on top of tailgate. Before I start , I raise the front of the camper. Back the truck up with tailgate closed. Use the camera and it's guide lines to get close, stop open tailgate, back under the king pin till about 6 inches away. Get out, lower front till king pin touches hitch head. Get back in and back up till I hear them connect. Wife is usually walking the dog or taking care of trash. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
    I was in the same position as you, with no experience with backing up to a 5th wheel.

Good luck and keep trying.
    John Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First you need to carefully read the hitching instructions of your hitch, Many are different. With my Reese they want the jaws closed but unlocked and have the trailer about 1" low so it rides up on the hitch when locking. I put a while dot on the back of my hitch. Question - can you see your hitch from the driving position? I then have 2 white dots on the trailer hitch (one on the upper housing, and one on the shank. With practice it became very easy to line up. Now if you cant see your truck hitch there are any number of magnetic guides out there that you could place in the bed behind the hitch and centered in the tailgate opening when the tailgate is down. Here is an example of and adjustable one. https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-20-...01705323&psc=1

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast