User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions on F-350 options

Hi all – I’m getting closer to a new truck and seeking opinions on some of the options that are available. Were these worth it to you? Or did you wish you had any? Thanks!

Basic truck that I’m planning to go with: F-350, Lariat, Crew Cab, 8’ bed, Diesel, 4x4, DRW, 3.55 gearing
    With at least these options: FX4 off-road package, Spray-in bedliner, 5th wheel prep

Here are some options I’m not so sure about:
    Lariat Ultimate Package ($3355) vs. Lariat Value Package ($710) vs. Power Equipment Group (included): Any thoughts? Are you really using all the features of the Ultimate package?

Tow Technology Package ($2150) vs. Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera ($710): Any thoughts?

Rear Camera Center High ($200) vs Customer placed ($375) vs. Individual trailer ($725): Any thoughts? Seems it’d be good to have some rear facing camera, but I don’t think I need 7’ish cameras.

Heavy Service front suspension: I have no plans for a snowplow; Too rough of a ride if added?

Engine Block Heater: Anyone use this?

Splash guards/mud flaps: Really, I have to pay extra for this?

Wheel Well Liner – Front: Same as above – I have to pay for this?

Upfitter Switches: Kinda cool, but not sure what I’d use these for.

Any other options that I’m missing?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have a Ford, but in my shopping previous I would have wanted the package that included adaptive cruise, Lane keep, etc. Don't think the blind spot assist was part but that as well. Still haven't found anything to use my upfitter switches for, added external lighting is an option, maybe compressor for air bags (?). Engine block heater, depends where you live or may travel...

Good luck

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 13 Ford Diesel.
    Engine block heater. I would get, even if you don’t use it, for what little cost it is. Especially if the truck will set outside in temps from the teens into the negative numbers.
    I also have the Rapid Supplemental Heat Element. This is a electric heater (like a hair blow dryer) that when u start the truck, set the fan speed on a low to med speed and enjoy the heat until the motor gets up to temperature. Once the truck reaches temp, the fluid does the heating. I think this was a $250.00 option back then.

Just checked. Still a $250.00 option

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all – I’m getting closer to a new truck and seeking opinions on some of the options that are available. Were these worth it to you? Or did you wish you had any? Thanks!

Basic truck that I’m planning to go with: F-350, Lariat, Crew Cab, 8’ bed, Diesel, 4x4, DRW, 3.55 gearing
    With at least these options: FX4 off-road package, Spray-in bedliner, 5th wheel prep

Lariat Ultimate Package ($3355) vs. Lariat Value Package ($710) vs. Power Equipment Group (included): Any thoughts? Are you really using all the features of the Ultimate package?

Tow Technology Package ($2150) vs. Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera ($710): Any thoughts?

Rear Camera Center High ($200) vs Customer placed ($375) vs. Individual trailer ($725): Any thoughts? Seems it’d be good to have some rear facing camera, but I don’t think I need 7’ish cameras.

Heavy Service front suspension: I have no plans for a snowplow; Too rough of a ride if added?

fwiw.... I chose about all the options I could and am glad I did.
    > I balked at the Adaptive Cruise Control and it is one of the things I like the best. I'm using 2 of the up fitter switches (air bag compressor and transfer pump for aux fuel tank).
    > I passed on the mud flaps and wheel well liners. Then ended up installing the rear liners myself and mud flaps . I didn't save much and the next time I would just get them from the factory. The rear liners were more of a vanity thing - I didn't want to see the color of my truck in the rear wheel well. I do not have front wheel-well liners.
    > No need for me for a front heavy duty suspension; I have no plans for a plow. Ditto for block heater. (it's nice living in Florida)
    > FX4 Package: got it for the hill descent and better shock absorbers (altho not sure I will use hill descent now that I see what it is for). But I do like the peace of mind having skid plates.
    > Ultimate package: I figured I'd be driving the truck a lot on trips (and around town to a lessor degree) so I got all the comfort features I liked. And I have no regrets and there isn't a feature there I haven't used (and might miss if I didn't have many of them).
    > Tow Technology Pks: I love every feature; especially the auto wipers, lane-keeping, and auto high beams. The truck practically drives itself.

Of course, all this comes at a price. Have fun picking out the features & enjoy the new truck.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adaptive cruise is a must
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure the difference on the lariat packages, it's a big price difference, is it worth it to you for what you get?

I have a tailgate only camera and would like one for the bed, but the 7 camera option seems unnecessary to me.

I have the package with remote start and appreciate it in the winter.

For mud flaps, I went with the weather tech no drill mud flaps, I have them in the rear only for now, so far so good.

I have the heavy duty front suspension package, ride seems good for a 1 ton truck.

I have upfitter switches and currently have a switch for two 8 inch led bars under the rear bumper that I didn't want controlled by placing truck in reverse.

Last thought is gears, I have 3.73 and would go with that or the 4.30. I've had 3.31 and there is no acceleration so I'm not sure how 3.55 is, you should test drive different geared trucks and make your own choice. In the Ford towing guide 3.55 will give you a lower towing rating compared to the 3.73 or 4.30.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 of the truck your looking at. Two trucks ago I had an F150 with all the gadgets, traded to a 2016 F250, and didn’t realize how much I would miss the tech items. 2017 they integrated the gadgets into the Superdutys. I really like the heated steering wheel, the front camera for pulling up close in parking lots, auto high beams, heated front and rear seats, ac in front seats, and more I’m not thinking about. I believe I have the 3.55 gears, and will say that the truck has tons of acceleration. I does hesitate from a standstill for a split second though. It is a very comfortable truck to drive. I average around 16 mpg when not towing, and 11 when towing.

For some reason they changed the under frame fuel filter from a normal round filter to a large rectangular filter. I haven’t changed it yet, but it looks somewhat difficult to do without spilling lots of fuel. I watched a guy on YouTube pull one off and he got diesel all over him. The truck was even on a lift. If anyone knows an easy way to change this filter (besides bringing it in to a shop), I would be interested in hearing it.

Good luck with your purchase, I think you will like the truck.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post

I ended up buying a Platinum if that tells you anything.

As previously mentioned in this thread, Adaptive Cruise is a must. The adaptive steering? Hard to tell when it is working which I guess is a good thing.

The Ultimate Tow Camera is misnamed--it's the Ultimate Parking Camera System. Over ~5 mph and Ford locks it out on you. I bought an aftermarket harness that allows me to use the cameras while driving, but the gadget is expensive and isn't perfect. The benefit of the stock 7-Camera "tow system" is the overhead God's eye view when parking. Makes it so much easier to park the big beast. The camera in the grill is fantastic, too, as I can park my truck within inches of an obstacle with no worries. Test drive one with the system and check it out. Also note that if you want to add Ford's integrated trailer TPMS and trailer camera (an aftermarket accessory) the truck must have the Ultimate Tow Camera system. (A fellow forum member found that out the hard way.)

Heated steering wheel--even in Florida I've used it a few mornings. Ditto for the heated seats.

The integrated tail gate step is an absolute must-have.

Upfitter switches? Unlikely you'll find one on the lot without them once you narrow the choices based on "must haves". Note that they can not be added to the truck afterwards.

BLIS? I have it but it is not well executed in the Ford in my opinion. That little orange light in the side mirror doesn't attract my attention. Well positioned mirrors (that are used!) have worked for me.

If I remember correctly the Lariat is the first level with dual temperature controls. That was also a must on our list.

The FX4 option was on every single truck I looked at on the internet that had adaptive cruise.

You didn't say what you'll be pulling, but I find the 3.55 gears sufficient for my needs. Again, every single truck had those gears.

The only option I'd skip if I could is the dual moon roof. But to order the equivalent of a Platinum with the Platinum Ultimate Package minus the moon roof was going to be more than buying a fully-loaded one from the dealer.

I opted to stay away from the heavy front suspension, but as others have noted you'll be shocked when you weigh your rig. It will be within a few hundred pounds of the front axle's ratings with the diesel engine. Hasn't been a factor for me because when I put my Goldwing in the bed and hook up the 315RLTS I'm struggling to get weight moved to the front axle! Heavy duty suspension in the front will result in a subjectively "rougher" ride unloaded.

For me it came down to a heavily-optioned King Ranch or the Platinum. They were practically identical. I went with the Platinum due to the optional Brunello (a very dark red) interior. As a personal choice I preferred it over the black or light tan interiors.

One more thought--the wheel options and what comes standard (based on the model and trim) was confusing until I really dug into the details. I really liked the wheels that came on my F-250 Platinum. (Yes, I bought two trucks. Long story. I now have the F-350 DRW you see below.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for all the toys but that's just me. I tried to save a little money on my '17 F250 Lariat and went the value pkg. It was a nicely equipped truck with heated/cooled seats and nav and all but I absolutely hated the pitiful halogen headlights and not having the heated wheel and a few other things. I went with the Platinum Ultimate package this time and it pretty much has everything Ford has available on it. Trust me the LED headlights and tail lights are worth the upgrade, night and day difference pardon the pun! I plan on this being my last truck and will retire with it, I never wanted to regret not having some feature that might be useful.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also went Platinum, adaptive cruise and the LED package were must for me. I could build a lariat with everything I wanted, but could never find one on a lot within 200 miles that was loaded the way I wanted. The Platinum Ultimate included everything I needed, so that's the way I went. Absolutely love mine.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast